GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Based on how things are marketed, I'm thinking the answer to this is no, but -

Do MK7 DSG shift paddles fit the MK6 steering wheel? I love the Racingline paddles but only see them sold for MK7.
no - different style of attachment to the wheel itself. it would be awesome if they could though. maybe there is a way to put a mk7 wheel in a mk6 with some vagcomming to make the controls work? have not done research into that though.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
no - different style of attachment to the wheel itself. it would be awesome if they could though. maybe there is a way to put a mk7 wheel in a mk6 with some vagcomming to make the controls work? have not done research into that though.

It will work I think you may just have extra cruise controls. The guy with the scirocco build has a mk7 wheel and airbag.

Deathbyart

Go Kart Newbie
How in the world do the credits work with ODBEleven? I was looking into getting a unit and contains "200 credits". Does that mean I can make one change per? Also, can it be used on multiple vehicles?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
How in the world do the credits work with ODBEleven? I was looking into getting a unit and contains "200 credits". Does that mean I can make one change per? Also, can it be used on multiple vehicles?

Don't need the credits unless you want to add shortcuts. Shortcuts are not needed just a convenience thing for people who do a lot of the same thing like a mechanic. I have never used a credit and it's never asked for one. Unlimited vehicles AFAIK.

bbsxer

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey. I got a used 2012 GTI last winter with about 160k on the dash. It had some issues from a prior crash but other than that its been pretty issue free. The car now is at 172k miles and I've been thinking about going K04 once I save up some money. If I decide not to go K04, I will probably soon sell the car for something with more reliable power. My question is, do you guys think the car will hold up or will it start needing new parts regularly? Obviously, nobody really knows but I've been searching and I can't find much info on how these cars handle big mods at this age. I know there's modified gti's out there as old as mine.

The car is basically stock except for Audi R8 coils and upgraded motor and transmission mounts, still stock clutch. It has been maintained well from what I can tell and I plan to take very good care of it if I do go this route. Is there any mods I could do to help protect the car from problems (oil catch can, etc.)? I have done the timing chain tensioner of course. If anyone has an opinion or better yet, some experience with this dilemma, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Hey. I got a used 2012 GTI last winter with about 160k on the dash. It had some issues from a prior crash but other than that its been pretty issue free. The car now is at 172k miles and I've been thinking about going K04 once I save up some money. If I decide not to go K04, I will probably soon sell the car for something with more reliable power. My question is, do you guys think the car will hold up or will it start needing new parts regularly? Obviously, nobody really knows but I've been searching and I can't find much info on how these cars handle big mods at this age. I know there's modified gti's out there as old as mine.

The car is basically stock except for Audi R8 coils and upgraded motor and transmission mounts, still stock clutch. It has been maintained well from what I can tell and I plan to take very good care of it if I do go this route. Is there any mods I could do to help protect the car from problems (oil catch can, etc.)? I have done the timing chain tensioner of course. If anyone has an opinion or better yet, some experience with this dilemma, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

it's a used car, it will need new parts here and there eventually. when you do replace stuff, don't always cheap out or youll pay more in the long run. use good gas and good motor oil and you'll do fine. expect water pump issues, intake manifold issues, and carbon buildup issues.

catch can will not do much to prevent carbon buildup. if youre 2012 you might be ok in the tensioner dept. but i'd have a look at it anyways just to have peace of mind.

plenty of conversations on here from the last 5-10 years. searching is your friend.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
plenty of conversations on here from the last 5-10 years. searching is your friend.

Don't want to derail too much but my experience as a relatively new guy to GTIs, GTI modding, and these forums - joined just before the switch to XenForo - is that the current forum search function is absolutely abysmal. I know it's probably tiring for the forum vets to see the same "random misfires, wat do" threads, but having trawled through the XenForo search here trying to find answers myself I definitely sympathize. It was much easier to go to google and "site:golfmk6.com" ... but that kind of defeats the purpose of an in-forum search function IMO

torga

Autocross Champion
Don't want to derail too much but my experience as a relatively new guy to GTIs, GTI modding, and these forums - joined just before the switch to XenForo - is that the current forum search function is absolutely abysmal. I know it's probably tiring for the forum vets to see the same "random misfires, wat do" threads, but having trawled through the XenForo search here trying to find answers myself I definitely sympathize. It was much easier to go to google and "site:golfmk6.com" ... but that kind of defeats the purpose of an in-forum search function IMO
That's how I've always done it, for basically any site. This method almost unilaterally returns better results than searching on the site itself.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
You're not wrong but I'm with torga. I try the search function on xenforo then google if I cant find what I want

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
That's how I've always done it, for basically any site. This method almost unilaterally returns better results than searching on the site itself.

You're not wrong but I'm with torga. I try the search function on xenforo then google if I cant find what I want

Saabingti - I definitely sympathize, I've too have found it irritating that you can search something here and come up empty. Like Torga and Ugly described, doing ''the google'' will turn up something. And it's often on this forum! Phhhht. The Vortex is like that too, search is pretty much a futile exercise. I usually skip the forums search now and go right to Google. For me, though, it the folks here on golfmk6 that make it useful and fun. Certainly better than Vortex.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Saabingti - I definitely sympathize, I've too have found it irritating that you can search something here and come up empty. Like Torga and Ugly described, doing ''the google'' will turn up something. And it's often on this forum! Phhhht. The Vortex is like that too, search is pretty much a futile exercise. I usually skip the forums search now and go right to Google. For me, though, it the folks here on golfmk6 that make it useful and fun. Certainly better than Vortex.
Golfmk6>>>> vwv, searchwise.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Two questions on this lovely evening. First, will a mk6 exhaust fit a fsi mk5? My GFs exhaust had a clamp rust out and it's most likely going to get repaired but in the off chance it can't be, could the oem exhaust I have laying around from my car go on instead? On a quick look they appeared to be pretty similar.

Now one for my car. I was thinking of putting my battery in the outlined area below. Does anyone see any issue with that placement? I realize if I get rear ended it'll probably fuck up the battery but if its hard enough to do that, the car's probably fucked anyways.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Two questions on this lovely evening. First, will a mk6 exhaust fit a fsi mk5? My GFs exhaust had a clamp rust out and it's most likely going to get repaired but in the off chance it can't be, could the oem exhaust I have laying around from my car go on instead? On a quick look they appeared to be pretty similar.

Now one for my car. I was thinking of putting my battery in the outlined area below. Does anyone see any issue with that placement? I realize if I get rear ended it'll probably fuck up the battery but if its hard enough to do that, the car's probably fucked anyways.

Components from the exhaust might work but the front side probably won't be compatible .

If you do get rear ended and fuck up the battery you wont be able to drive it. You can get rear ended and still drive it at times. I'd go side placement, myself.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

Yes on the stock MK6 exhaust fitting a MK5 and mating up to the stock downpipe. (since a FSI downpipe fits a CCTA TSI)
You'd just have to trim the rear valance for the other/extra exhaust tip on the passenger side, and remember that the MK5 had dual tips on the driver's side....so the driver's side would be too large for the single MK6 tip.

Search MK5 R32 battery relocate to move the battery to the trunk, in a OEM way. For example:
https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/inde...e-my-battery-to-the-back-of-my-golf-r.279116/

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Anyone around the Houston, TX area that has a DKM clutch I can feel? Been reading/hearing a lot about how the engagement is weird, wanted to confirm