GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

torga

Autocross Champion
I never leave the rear wiper on. I find it wipes too often so I just use the momentary function when I need it. I am
OCD about matching the wiper speed to how much rain is falling. I love of VW’s slow down the wiper when you stop, keeps me from having to do it manually.
HA that is exactly what I do when it's raining. *analyzes precipitation rate for a second*, "yup, that's 3rd click intermediate wiper speed". And I do the same with the rear wiper too, it wipes too often and only has one setting. So unless it's an absolute downpour, I also trigger it manually.

Thanks for all the input on the rear glass, guys. I felt it with my hands after work and it felt smooth to my meat hooks, but that doesn't mean it truly is. I've got a clay bar and spray in my toolbox, I'll hit it soon and see if that helps any.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Good call to question the smoothness of the glass, I didn't think of that. I'll check how it feels today, and take a look at the arm before I leave work.
I have such a love/hate thing with problems that fix themselves -- I like to know what the issue was.
Clay bar it

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Yes. Some of us live where there is snow. ;)

I have a lot of stickers on my back glass as well, don't like to run the defroster excessively. Even then, just in decent rain or spray the backglass gets obscured and needs a wipe. Side mirrors are great, but especially in bad weather getting as big a picture out back as you can is better.
As someone who lives in a place with plenty of snowfall, I have a deleted wiper. It make little difference for me.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
It doesn't rain where you live?
LOL! Sure it does; that has nothing to do with the rear wiper, as I said, I've never used it or needed it. I can see well enough in the rear view mirror, even in the south Florida torrential downpours. I think maybe it has to do with an old chevy van I had years ago. That van had NO rear windows at all, the back doors were solid metal. So, the rear view mirror was pretty much useless, one HAD to be good at properly adjusting and utilizing the side view mirrors. But I've no trouble seeing out the hatch without using the wiper. We've got a Jetta, too, just like you and of course, it has no rear wiper.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
LOL! Sure it does; that has nothing to do with the rear wiper, as I said, I've never used it or needed it. I can see well enough in the rear view mirror, even in the south Florida torrential downpours. I think maybe it has to do with an old chevy van I had years ago. That van had NO rear windows at all, the back doors were solid metal. So, the rear view mirror was pretty much useless, one HAD to be good at properly adjusting and utilizing the side view mirrors. But I've no trouble seeing out the hatch without using the wiper. We've got a Jetta, too, just like you and of course, it has no rear wiper.
Crazy lol. My rear window is next to useless if it's raining, especially in the Jetta with no wiper.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I think maybe it has to do with an old chevy van I had years ago. That van had NO rear windows at all, the back doors were solid metal. So, the rear view mirror was pretty much useless, one HAD to be good at properly adjusting and utilizing the side view mirrors.

There's no amount of adjustment you can do with a side mirror to be able to see behind the car. LOL That's why, rape vans aside, a center rearview mirror is a legal requirement almost everywhere while a passenger side is usually optional. ;)

I don't have any need for a rear wiper on the A3, sedans rear glass stays fairly clear with the airflow over the car and it's not really the rain or water itself that causes vision problems. The hatchback has that bubble of nothingness behind it as the air from under and over the car just whisk away without touching the backglass. The back window just gets dirty from all the road grime, makes it hazy. Mine might be worse due to the center mount exhaust and catless DP, cause my hatch is always filthy.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion

torga

Autocross Champion
I don't have any need for a rear wiper on the A3, sedans rear glass stays fairly clear with the airflow over the car and it's not really the rain or water itself that causes vision problems. The hatchback has that bubble of nothingness behind it as the air from under and over the car just whisk away without touching the backglass. The back window just gets dirty from all the road grime, makes it hazy. Mine might be worse due to the center mount exhaust and catless DP, cause my hatch is always filthy.
Exactly! There's next to zero air flow while driving back there, so anything that gets kicked up, stays. It's been raining nonstop the last few days here, so I'm just extra surprised that some people really don't use the rear wiper.

I considered deleting the wiper on my old Celica since that was more of a liftback/fastback -- very swooped rear end and, like your A3, the air flow mostly took care of any water/build-up. I hardly had to use my rear wiper.
IMG_20160511_132545.jpg

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Someone needs to come up with a rear window delete. That will answer all these pesky rear wiper problems. :LOL:
+1. +2 if it's made from carbon fiber.

in reality, we just need to be comfortable with wiping our rears down after use. or spraying it with water at least.

i know what i said.

torga

Autocross Champion
+1. +2 if it's made from carbon fiber.

in reality, we just need to be comfortable with wiping our rears down after use. or spraying it with water at least.

i know what i said.
way ahead of you, I just bought a bidet

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
There's no amount of adjustment you can do with a side mirror to be able to see behind the car. LOL That's why, rape vans aside, a center rearview mirror is a legal requirement almost everywhere while a passenger side is usually optional. ;)
Tsk, Tsk, Thumper; I've no idea what you mean :cool: :cool:
Hey, look if y'all find your hatch wipers a necessity, that's fine and great. We agree to disagree! ;) I don't use it, don't need it; and apparently all those GTI owners doing these rear wiper deletes don't find them needful items either.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Exactly! There's next to zero air flow while driving back there, so anything that gets kicked up, stays. It's been raining nonstop the last few days here, so I'm just extra surprised that some people really don't use the rear wiper.

I considered deleting the wiper on my old Celica since that was more of a liftback/fastback -- very swooped rear end and, like your A3, the air flow mostly took care of any water/build-up. I hardly had to use my rear wiper.
View attachment 193099
It's probably the same people who don't use their mirrors, haha. There is no way I could delete the rear wiper, it gets a lot of use!

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Tsk, Tsk, Thumper; I've no idea what you mean :cool: :cool:

I mean your old van with the shag carpet on the walls and no inside door handles. LOL ;)

Hey, look if y'all find your hatch wipers a necessity, that's fine and great. We agree to disagree! ;) I don't use it, don't need it; and apparently all those GTI owners doing these rear wiper deletes don't find them needful items either.

I'm with you man, not busting on you just saying, I use mine. GTI guys be all like gotta have a clean hatch man, form > function.

Now, I will say I have a wiper delete on the 944, course, I can count the number of times that has been driven in the rain on one hand after a table saw accident...........