GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat19: 10k Posts Achieved In Revived Dead Thread

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
Ive looked into getting one because they are one of the few companies that still design cars oriented toward the driver. Especially in terms of cockpit layout.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Was bored and went to go check one out at the dealership. The one thing I don't really like about the styling is the rear quarter area/lack of side window. Saw on the mazda site some sort of OE aero kit, but it didn't have any pictures.
View attachment 194302

Yeah that rear door window line is worse than ours. Makes for a pretty car but I can only guess that blind spot visibility is bad

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
The Mazda3T to my eyes is really not much of a looker. Although not Honda Civic hideous. If it's a great driving car I could overlook a big arse rear end.

The automagic is a shame. I love my DSG (yes I know I'm a whimp :p) but the M3T has a torque converter box. Better than a CVT, but that ain't saying much.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
What grease would you recommend for the threads? Or does the INOX even take care of that?

I used T9 Bo-Shield on them when I first installed them but never re applied it. The adjustment collars are nylon so they won’t seize to the Inox and besides just getting the debris out of the threads I never had an issue with adjusting them after about 2 years of daily use. No idea how long they were installed on the the previous owners car. He lived down in NC so not really a test of durability. DE is not as bad as New England or the Midwest but sorta in between as far as moisture and salt is concerned. The INOX is German highway approved (I forget the organization) so it can withstand Germany’s harsh winters.

edit: other than immediately bashing it for not having a manual(we know who you are)

We wouldn’t do that 😬

I agree the transmission option is meh. Styling wise I think it looks great. The Ms and I owned a newer gen Mazda 3 and although the new design is stylish you give up a lot of versatility. The swoopy rear end cuts down on cargo capacity.

Not sure what the aftermarket will be like for the turbo 3 but probably won’t be as good as it is for other platforms like the Civic or GTI.

torga

Autocross Champion
I used T9 Bo-Shield on them when I first installed them but never re applied it. The adjustment collars are nylon so they won’t seize to the Inox and besides just getting the debris out of the threads I never had an issue with adjusting them after about 2 years of daily use. No idea how long they were installed on the the previous owners car. He lived down in NC so not really a test of durability. DE is not as bad as New England or the Midwest but sorta in between as far as moisture and salt is concerned. The INOX is German highway approved (I forget the organization) so it can withstand Germany’s harsh winters.
Wow, the collars are nylon? My kneejerk reaction is to think that's too weak for the forces taken by a car's suspension. But the engineers at KW have a reputation that precedes them, so I'm sure they know what they're doing.
Every other adjustment collar I've seen is metal, usually aluminum.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Wow, the collars are nylon? My kneejerk reaction is to think that's too weak for the forces taken by a car's suspension. But the engineers at KW have a reputation that precedes them, so I'm sure they know what they're doing.
Every other adjustment collar I've seen is metal, usually aluminum.

Nylon was for a lack of a better term but I should know that a mechanical engineer would want more specifics then that 😆.

Steel impregnated polyamide! Sounds bad ass

88D45D0C-4DB7-45DF-B79E-01C5384407C8.jpeg

I had them on my Civic and I got spoiled with how easy they were to adjust after being used. On my Fit I put Tein’s on and after a year the rears were seized. My ST’s have been holding up on the GTI good but I don’t drive it as much as I did my Civic or Fit.

KW knows how to make a damper. Combine that with the INOX and I can see why they demand the price they do.

I did have to send them out for a rebuild when I bought them used. The one front one was blown so I sent them both to KW North America in CA.

torga

Autocross Champion
Steel-impregnated polyamide and trapezoidal threads, hell yeah! Good to hear! Stronger than normal and that material is self-lubricating.

I just picked up a used/rebuilt set of V3s, so I'm pretty pumped.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Steel-impregnated polyamide and trapezoidal threads, hell yeah! Good to hear! Stronger than normal and that material is self-lubricating.

I just picked up a used/rebuilt set of V3s, so I'm pretty pumped.

I’d be pumped too man they are a great used purchase IMO. I would have never paid retail for the V2’s I got for my Civic but after buying used and having them rebuilt I was still under half price new. You got V3s which is next level shit, sweet!!

I’ll admit my Civic did ride stiff AF but I had full poly bushings, upgrade sway bars and chassis braces plus the KW’s for the Civic were valved for “track” use. Plus it’s a
civic which is not a fine German crafted hatchback 🇩🇪

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
We wouldn’t do that 😬

I agree the transmission option is meh. Styling wise I think it looks great. The Ms and I owned a newer gen Mazda 3 and although the new design is stylish you give up a lot of versatility. The swoopy rear end cuts down on cargo capacity.

Not sure what the aftermarket will be like for the turbo 3 but probably won’t be as good as it is for other platforms like the Civic or GTI.

Watched a smoking tire review and they said the red line is like 5750rpm or something. Def doesn't sound like racecar...

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Watched a smoking tire review and they said the red line is like 5750rpm or something. Def doesn't sound like racecar...

Yeah the review I watched said it was certainly better then the none turbo model but not a “sport” version.

Here is a fun video of it against a Golf R and WRX.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Yeah the review I watched said it was certainly better then the none turbo model but not a “sport” version.

Here is a fun video of it against a Golf R and WRX.

The high torque and lower peak hp has me wondering how much is left on the table.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Mazda needs to bring back that 10k Rev limit!

Yes! They have excellent chassis dynamics. The 3 we had was slow but man did it handle and drive well. They still have a driver focused mind set it seems while at the same time catering to the majority of car buyers with premium interior and exterior styling. The Sky-Active technology is pretty slick too

The high torque and lower peak hp has me wondering how much is left on the table.

There has got to be something. I think for around town it would be lots of fun. The Jetta we had with the 1.4T was fun around town with the turbo torque coming in just off idle. Made it feel faster then it was.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Hand down best coilovers for salt are KW’s. Not cheap but that INOX is on another level. I bought a used set and once I cleaned them after a few years of use they only looked slightly used when I sold them.
good insight. might opt for these on the set after but for now ill go cheaper to get a feel for it. maybe ill bag it after that idk.

another brand recommended to me was WRD but they have no stock right now.