GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
I had one of those farking Flakemoto valves on my GTI. I'm at stock ride height & knocked it loose.....
:ROFLMAO: LOL! That made me laugh. (Not at you, of course.) Yea, bad experience for sure, will sour it.
Not worth the 30sec time saving 3 times a year
Well......depends. To each his own, I suppose. I HATED turning that oil pan bolt, and then giving it a quick yank trying to get my hand out of the way before the oil gushed out. And, while it was under warranty and the dealer did oil changes, they'd torque down that goddam bolt as if it was a tire lug or something. Always afraid they'd strip it, just it time for me to have to buy a new oil pan out of warranty. Or, like what happened once, in my haste I dropped the bolt. Guess where it went.....INTO the oil pan. Of course. Phhht. :mad: And then, you have to buy extra crush washers; ehh, no.

This way, with the fumoto, I just position the drain pan, turn the valve on the fumoto, have a beer while it drains. No fuss, no muss.

Phur

Autocross Champion
:ROFLMAO: LOL! That made me laugh. (Not at you, of course.) Yea, bad experience for sure, will sour it.

Well......depends. To each his own, I suppose. I HATED turning that oil pan bolt, and then giving it a quick yank trying to get my hand out of the way before the oil gushed out. And, while it was under warranty and the dealer did oil changes, they'd torque down that goddam bolt as if it was a tire lug or something. Always afraid they'd strip it, just it time for me to have to buy a new oil pan out of warranty. Or, like what happened once, in my haste I dropped the bolt. Guess where it went.....INTO the oil pan. Of course. Phhht. :mad: And then, you have to buy extra crush washers; ehh, no.

This way, with the fumoto, I just position the drain pan, turn the valve on the fumoto, have a beer while it drains. No fuss, no muss.
I mean... oil extractor?

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Oil extractor? Nah. Too much work; and why buy a separate thingy to suck oil upwards, just another thingy to get dirty and have to clean, plus you'll leave some goop in the oil pan instead of having good old gravity drain everything away.

I drive the car(s) up on rhino ramps, position the drain pan, open the fumoto, and go do something else. Empty the drain pan into an old wine jug, then take the jug to the dump (oil recycler).

Done. Finito.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Oil extractor? Nah. Too much work; and why buy a separate thingy to suck oil upwards, just another thingy to get dirty and have to clean, plus you'll leave some goop in the oil pan instead of having good old gravity drain everything away.

I drive the car(s) up on rhino ramps, position the drain pan, open the fumoto, and go do something else. Empty the drain pan into an old wine jug, then take the jug to the dump (oil recycler).

Done. Finito.
Extractor works very effectively. No cleaning needed.

Phur

Autocross Champion

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I mean... oil extractor?
I already said that! BOOM> ;)

Done. Finito.

Too much work?

Um, I jack up the car (because my filter is on the underside) stick the extractor tube in, pump to pressure.....go do something else......come back swap the filter, dump the extractor tank into a proper oil collection drain pan (15qt capacity) and take to O'Reilly to recycle when full after 2 oil changes. I don't clean my extractor after every change unless I am taking a sample, what is the dirty oil residue inside going to contaminate the dirty oil from my next oil change? LOL Sounds like the exact same amount of work and I don't worry about pissing all my oil out all over the road while driving with no warning. (y)

Gravity drain doesn't get all the goop out either, the oil pan doesn't have unique drains built in to funnel all the oil to the plug. I've ran the extractor and then pulled the plug after a couple times to test, nothing more than a dribble that hung out right around the plug threads.

I do pull the pull the plug every 3-4 oil changes (9-12k miles) since I run a magnetic so I can clean it off. I use a latex glove and don't worry about yanking my hand away to keep it clean.......cause I have a glove on.......it's really hard. :giggle:

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Oil pan will always have residual. You won't always see it but its there.

Extractor use: find a parking soit that is flat. Put tube into the dipstick port. Pump 20ish times, then go do something else for a few minutes. Cone back, jostle the tube and add more suction to make sure you got it all. Undo filter, put in new filter, pour in new oil. Done. No ramps, no crawling into spaces you can't fit.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I'm seriously thinking of getting an extractor. I figure if I put a jack under the left front & raise it a bit the dipstick will now be on the low side of the pan. That should help get all of the oil out.

OK what is the best extractor to buy?

Last edited:

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I'm seriously thinking of getting an extractor. I figure if I jut a jack under the left front & raise it a bit the dipstick will now be on the low side of the pan. That should help get all of the oil out.

OK what is the best extractor to buy?

I have a pneumatic 5 gallon unit, I think the one Thumper posted was hand pump and shop air capable which would be nice.

Mercedes started using only oil extractors back when the 2014 S class launched. I did a bajillion oil changes via extractor over the next couple years. I had a trainee working with me and he questioned whether or not all of the oil was coming out of the pan. One time when it was slow we decided to test. We sucked the oil out and then raised the car up in the air to pull the drain plug. Not a single drop of oil came out of the hole... If you happened to have say a bunch of metal bits in the pan, they're not all going to come out by draining. You would have to remove the pan to get it completely clean.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Oil pan will always have residual. You won't always see it but its there.

Extractor use: find a parking soit that is flat. Put tube into the dipstick port. Pump 20ish times, then go do something else for a few minutes. Cone back, jostle the tube and add more suction to make sure you got it all. Undo filter, put in new filter, pour in new oil. Done. No ramps, no crawling into spaces you can't fit.
Also, I’m lowered with a skid plate. So an oil extractor means that I don’t have to fuck with that either. So easy!

Phur

Autocross Champion
I got this one. I got it on sale before I had to do my first oil change after I got the skid plate.
I noticed that they have one that is only a few dollars more that gives you the option to hook it up to air instead of pumping it manually.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Extractor works very effectively. No cleaning needed.
I'm sure it does; I never said it didn't. So, you don't clean up your extractor??
Way cleaner than having to deal with a drain pan
You put the oil from the extractor into something. right?
Too much work?

Um, I jack up the car (because my filter is on the underside) stick the extractor tube in, pump to pressure.....go do something else......come back swap the filter, dump the extractor tank into a proper oil collection drain pan (15qt capacity) and take to O'Reilly to recycle when full after 2 oil changes. I don't clean my extractor after every change
There you go; so you use the extractor, it goes into a drain pan, like me, and then to the recycle place, like me. So using the extractor at all is your extra step, plus your pumping to pressure, etc.

Y'all are picking on me!! :p:p j/k It's cool; to each his own, I know everybody loves gadgets and an oil extractor is a gadget. I can tell I have as much chance of convincing you guys as you do convincing me. Full disclosure - I actually bought one of these a couple of years ago and tried it. It works, but I found it much easier to just open the fumoto and drain than go thru all that hooking up and pumping and stuff. I gave my extractor to a friend.

Last edited:

Thumper

Autocross Champion
There you go; so you use the extractor, it goes into a drain pan, like me, and then to the recycle place, like me. So using the extractor at all is your extra step, plus your pumping to pressure, etc.

Um, you put the oil into a wine jug you said......so how is that different? LOL

Seriously, pouring liquid is not a step, come on man. ;) Pumping to pressure is just exercise, and you are forgetting you're extra step of opening and closing the valve. There's TWO extra steps..... TWO!!!!!!

The real sweet spot for the extractor is on cars with the filter up top, on the A3 and the Touareg I don't even have to get under the car, there's some time savings. Especially cause I need the big boy 3 ton jack for the Touareg. That bastard is HEAVY.

Of course we're picking on you....A) What kind of guy doesn't want more TOOLS!?!?!!? I mean, that's just wrong. B) What else we got to do?

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I just change my oil like a god damn man. I chock the rear wheels, I jack the car up, I put it on jack stands, and then I turn it up to 11 and get under the car where I might even get dirty 😖

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I'm sure it does; I never said it didn't. So, you don't clean up your extractor??

You put the oil from the extractor into something. right?

Y'all are picking on me!! :p:p j/k It's cool; to each his own, I know everybody loves gadgets and an oil extractor is a gadget. I can tell I have as much chance of convincing you guys as you do convincing me. Full disclosure - I actually bought one of these a couple of years ago and tried it. It works, but I found it much easier to just open the fumoto and drain than go thru all that hooking up and pumping and stuff. I gave my extractor to a friend.
Correct. I drain it into the jug I dumped into the car, and don't have to worry about having a sore back.