GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My GTI, Rocco

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
ooooh shit! get some one to throw a good weather cover on it until you're able to tackle it? Hope you get the medical treatment to blast it the hell outa ya.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Ugh. Fucking tensioner.
Replaced the tensioner, was debating doing the chain and then I snapped a TTY bolt on the exhaust cam gear, so I figured I may as well order a chain at the same time.
Wait a while, get the shit in. Pull the chain, realize that, since I wasn't originally planning on doing the chain, past me only lined up the crank timing marks, and the cam gears are upside down. So now I have an untimed engine that doesn't line up to the marks.
On top of that, I was rushing because I was having minor surgery on my back that would disallow me from bending, crouching, or lifting 25lbs+ (so no torquing the crank) or my stitches pop.
AND now I have coronavirus. So right now my car is sitting in my garage with the timing cover off and the internals exposed to the harsh New England weather, and I don't foresee myself being able to fix it even if I was able. I'll need to put the mounts and covers on and tow it to a shop - provided I find one willing to complete a partial repair.
Am I able to rotate my cams somehow? I know I can do small movements but I need to rotate them fully. I threw a chain on and started rotating the crank but I ran into resistance and didn't want to press on.
im trying to think of a shop out by you that might take the job, let me get back to you...

also get well soon

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Are you having any symptoms from the rona?
Yeah, Sunday I woke up dizzy, unable to balance, and had what felt like a killer sinus infection. I wasn't anosmic and had a temp of 97.4, but since I had to go back to work the next day (I'd been off 4 daysbecause of my back) I got tested, came back positive.
2 days later my sense of smell and taste are definitely muddled but I still have em. My girlfriend lost both day 1 though.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Damn. Insane you went cross country during the height of it in spring and didn't catch it but you got it now at home. Crazy

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Damn. Insane you went cross country during the height of it in spring and didn't catch it but you got it now at home. Crazy
Right? Tbf that whole time I only interacted with a couple people, and before and after I was under imposed SAH orders. But now we're both back to work; I work retail, she's a grade school teacher, so we're both high-risk. We've been joking we don't know which one gave it to the other 😂
And thanks everyone for the well wishes. It's been two full weeks since diagnosis and 5 days since symptoms. But my food all smells like spoilt milk and my gf says food smells like burning flesh so 🤷🏼‍♂️ oh well at least we didn't have bad symptoms

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Wheeeeee this is gonna be a long one.

Haven't driven my car since early November 😢 after a botched tensioner job (decided halfway through to do my chain, but neglected to make sure my cam marks were aligned before removing my old chain; didn't realize until I went to put the new one on and I was like "Huh? Where dem marks at") it sat. For 4 months.
But now with my tax returns and short term disability (also from November lol) on it's way, I'll have about $3k that I'm putting straight to my car.

Onto the specifics, though. I decided to fix every single problem I can think of at once. A comprehensive list (parts added/replaced, servicing/fixing, inspections/checks):
  • Time engine
  • Timing chain and tensioner
  • Fluidampr pulley
  • R8 coils
  • Water pump
  • Diverter valve
  • N75 Valve
  • Accessory belt and tensioner
  • Turbo stud
  • Rear toe arms
  • Rear brake pads
  • Rear rotors
  • Rear wheel bearings
  • Front left caliper
  • Front left shock
  • Front inner/outer tie rods
  • Front ball joints
  • Front wheel bearings
  • Windshield
  • Front bumper mounts
  • Front splash guard
  • Right splash guard
  • Left splash guard
  • Level headlights
  • Shifter linkages
I'm definitely forgetting some things, but these are the ones on my mind. I have nearly every part already, I just lost all will to work on my own car and eventually said fuck it. I mean hell, I did all this last year anyway. Today marks 1 year from me getting my car back on the road after my DIY engine swap. I've done enough work on my car.

Also, with regards to the diverter valve. I've thrown a weird boost code for a long time, and I'm thinking it's taxed back to the DV not seating properly. If need be I'll swap out for a DV+ to replace my Turbosmart Kompact thing I'm currently running. But I'm wondering if a DV relocation kit would solve that problem, too

Last edited:

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
So you wouldn't have much interest in 2dr leather seats right now, given your to do list...
Nah, not my style anyway. The biggest reason I haven't upgraded to racing seats is I'm absolutely in love with the plaid. I'm considering reupholstering a set with GTI mk6 Tartan because I love it so much.
I have a connection to this car, and I haven't been able to describe it went other way than it having a unique personality that fits me perfectly. The only thing I dislike about the seats is the god awful knob to move the seatback forward or back. They needed to abandon that design 20 years ago.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Nah, not my style anyway. The biggest reason I haven't upgraded to racing seats is I'm absolutely in love with the plaid. I'm considering reupholstering a set with GTI mk6 Tartan because I love it so much.
I have a connection to this car, and I haven't been able to describe it went other way than it having a unique personality that fits me perfectly. The only thing I dislike about the seats is the god awful knob to move the seatback forward or back. They needed to abandon that design 20 years ago.
I do have a cubic yard of jacky plaid (mk6)I'm intended to part with. There's also a guy in Dover selling a set of corbeau seats with plaid centers.