GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat19: 10k Posts Achieved In Revived Dead Thread

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
The method is key.

Salt, pepper, fajita seasoning, cayenne pepper, garlic powder. Dry rub in to the steak, then bag it up. Into bag add cilantro, lime juice, little bit of water, little bit of olive oil. Cooked it at 131 for 2.5 hrs and finished it off on a cast iron. Make sure to slice across the grain, not along it.

I've done the same prep on the grill for fajitas and it turned out okay but not as good as this. Skirt and Flank are the classic fajita cuts but they aren't good for much else IMO.
Ah, yea we usually just toss it on the grill for 20 minutes or so, or if it's fajitas we just cut it up and toss it into a pan with some seasoning. It doesn't get that kind of love.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Ah, yea we usually just toss it on the grill for 20 minutes or so, or if it's fajitas we just cut it up and toss it into a pan with some seasoning. It doesn't get that kind of love.

Try seasoning and cooking the flank as a whole and then slice in to fajita bits... had better luck with texture that way.

The 2.5hrs is the sous vide. Super easy but it is interesting to put together the main part of your meal 3 hours before meal time.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Also, how do you cook a flank steak so it's actually good? I've never had a flank steak I enjoyed. It's a tough and tasteless piece of meat. There's so much better choices for steak.
I had one at an Argentinian restaurant with chimichurri that was out of this world!
I actually had something like that just last week. It smelled really good when it was cooking, but I dunno. It's not a cut I'm a fan of. It's got no fat so there's no flavor. I love a good steak, but give me something that's at least got a little marbling.

I just discovered flank steak within the last year and we've had it a few times since so it's still kinda new to me, but it quickly became my least favorite type of steak.
I would normally agree with you. I won’t even touch a sirloin. The flank steak is the exception for me. I do know that you have to cut it against the grain.

Phur

Autocross Champion

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
It was snowing here a few minutes ago.
It was 90 degrees here yesterday lol, today it's 85. I guess we're getting a small cold front so tonight the low will be 50 with the high at 75, but that only lasts a couple days and then we're back to mid 80s.

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
It was 90 degrees here yesterday lol, today it's 85. I guess we're getting a small cold front so tonight the low will be 50 with the high at 75, but that only lasts a couple days and then we're back to mid 80s.
Sounds like shorts weather in Illinois.