GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

uglybastard's PSSMKLLR GTI owner journal

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Shaved Hatch install complete (mostly, and yesterday actually). Paint needs a good cleaning and I need to remove some residue from prior owner decals/stickers but all in all it looks pretty good to me.

20210327_192506.jpg

Today I reinstalled my rear wiper delete. ran out of daylight and patience to pry the old wiper module off.

Also did some digging on my hood release lever issue and found this:

The ball in the top right is supposed to be seated on the lever between two pieces of plastic, looks like i sheared half the donut off there. fun.

Now i get to replace that part AND find a way to get my hood open. i tried pulling on the ball a bit but nothing doing.

While pulling the plastics off to look at the damage i found that this geofencing thing was installed by a previous owner.

or maybe the CIA? attached to my OBD2 port, basically a bridge harness with a sideloop for data transfer modules, from the looks of it and my understanding of geofencing. glad to have it gone.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
So when I installed the shaved hatch i had some issues closing things up, because both the frame of my car and the hatch had one of those bump stops installed. i pulled a set of them off to get it close but trying to figure out how to cover up the hole cleanly. my original hatch had a sort of plug in place:

until then, I will have this "hole" in my hatch door interior paneling. open to ideas on what do to, might end up taking the plugs off the unused hatch door and put them on the current one. Also still trying to get the 3rd brake light connected. it was a bitch to disconnect but the process to reconnect is so much worse. can't wait to get this all done so i can get the panelling back installed.

Still sorting out the hood fitment issue as time allows. played with the hood release mechanism catch to see if shifting it around would give better alignment of things, no such luck. I have hood pins ordered from urotuning, i guess i could install those if i really wanted to. need to find a body shop for the install, im not brave enough to dremel the hood for a DIY install.

I did get a new hood release lever mechanism for the inside of the car. the old one is out now, here you can better see the damage for where the little ball is supposed to be mounted:

Once the hood thing is settled, i have new headlight housings to install, and I will be replacing the lower honeycomb with a metal mesh. Also i'll be JB welding my washer caps on the bumper since they serve no functional purpose.

New wheels are in, just picked those up today from Zeus Motorworks after getting some ceramic coating done up on them. can't wait to reveal these, I really like the look.

Hungry4hops

Autocross Champion
So when I installed the shaved hatch i had some issues closing things up, because both the frame of my car and the hatch had one of those bump stops installed. i pulled a set of them off to get it close but trying to figure out how to cover up the hole cleanly. my original hatch had a sort of plug in place:

until then, I will have this "hole" in my hatch door interior paneling. open to ideas on what do to, might end up taking the plugs off the unused hatch door and put them on the current one. Also still trying to get the 3rd brake light connected. it was a bitch to disconnect but the process to reconnect is so much worse. can't wait to get this all done so i can get the panelling back installed.

Still sorting out the hood fitment issue as time allows. played with the hood release mechanism catch to see if shifting it around would give better alignment of things, no such luck. I have hood pins ordered from urotuning, i guess i could install those if i really wanted to. need to find a body shop for the install, im not brave enough to dremel the hood for a DIY install.

I did get a new hood release lever mechanism for the inside of the car. the old one is out now, here you can better see the damage for where the little ball is supposed to be mounted:

Once the hood thing is settled, i have new headlight housings to install, and I will be replacing the lower honeycomb with a metal mesh. Also i'll be JB welding my washer caps on the bumper since they serve no functional purpose.

New wheels are in, just picked those up today from Zeus Motorworks after getting some ceramic coating done up on them. can't wait to reveal these, I really like the look.
I noticed my hood release getting tight and I was afraid of breaking it. I sprayed some lube into the latch under the hood and now it releases much easier.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I noticed my hood release getting tight and I was afraid of breaking it. I sprayed some lube into the latch under the hood and now it releases much easier.
My mechanism seems to be in working order. how this hood sits is causing the issue. Going with hood pins is recommended anyways. also adds scene points.

You find out as you get older that more things require lube.
Little bit a lube goes a long way.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
finally got the wiring buttoned up on my shaved hatch, only took two months to wrap up the install... 3rd brake light and washer line were holding me back. tried on my days off for 20-30 min at a time. my gf even tried using her smaller fingers to get in there to make the connectors go together. finally got it using a pick to pull the inner connector towards one of the access holes and finally got the other side of the connection to line up right.
the washer line, i aligned the 90degree connector and used a screwdriver as a lever to push it together. my rear wiper is deleted and is therefore non functional but i didn't want it rattling around.

Also made progress on the carbon fiber hood - put some washers between the latch and the hood to space it a bit and things seem to be lined up properly now. still need to get the "rear" rubber stoppers installed to ensure better fitment, even with lube they are shredding when i try to get them in, almost as if the holes are prepped wrong. with things making better lines i am hopeful that i can install my grille again soon and then the release lever replacement i got a bit ago. then a few more mods and i'll be done my plan for 2021.

Phur

Autocross Champion

Phur

Autocross Champion