GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone read any good books lately?

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
The tale of the fallen malzan empire its ten books and an epic read. Is very charector heavy

Daks

Autocross Champion
One of my all time favs is The short history of nearly everything by Bill Bryson.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
favorite author is Joel Rosenberg....he's got a series that follows a CIA operative....it's killer...lemme go find one in the series.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer. It is older released in 1997, and is his experience of the 1996 Mt. Everest disaster. Definitely a page turner.;

@Daks, good thread; I need a good read as it has been awhile.
+1 on John K.

Neil Stephenson (early stuff up to Cyptoconium (sp?) scifi Cypto is amazing
Dennis Lehanne (wrote Shutter Island, Mystic River) historical cops/love/family stories
Glen David Gold -Carter beats the Devil Magic and love mystery
Hyperion - Dan Simmons SF 4 part series. First one is more of an intro but the next ones are wonderful

bentin

Autocross Champion
Norco 80 by Peter Houlahan - bank robbery in greater LA, in you guessed it, 1980. Sort of the impetus of over arming police. Cool story, good writing, half wit criminals.
Dark Matter by Blake Crouch - scifi, time travel, second chances.
Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann - turn of the previous century Oklahoma history of Native American mistreatment and the impetus for creating the FBI.
The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead - 60's story of a kid sent to a reform school in Florida.
Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel - pandemic post apocalyptic tale of a traveling band of musicians going between small villages in what was Michigan and Illinois
About half way through Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir, glad to hear it doesn't go off the rails like Artemis.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Norco 80 by Peter Houlahan - bank robbery in greater LA, in you guessed it, 1980. Sort of the impetus of over arming police. Cool story, good writing, half wit criminals.
Dark Matter by Blake Crouch - scifi, time travel, second chances.
Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann - turn of the previous century Oklahoma history of Native American mistreatment and the impetus for creating the FBI.
The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead - 60's story of a kid sent to a reform school in Florida.
Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel - pandemic post apocalyptic tale of a traveling band of musicians going between small villages in what was Michigan and Illinois
About half way through Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir, glad to hear it doesn't go off the rails like Artemis.
Did you like Station Eleven? it has been on my list but I keep passing it up.
Also, did you read Blake Crouch's Recursion? If you like Dark Matter you would like this one too. But I'm not sure it was AS good....

bentin

Autocross Champion
Did you like Station Eleven? it has been on my list but I keep passing it up.
Also, did you read Blake Crouch's Recursion? If you like Dark Matter you would like this one too. But I'm not sure it was AS good....
Station Eleven was really good. The first half was a little disjointed, but things started to click in the back half and pulled the seemingly divergent tales into a solid story. It also has some eerie parallels to our current pandemic and how things could have just gone slightly differently and really led to a different place. It's not a particularly dark story though, actually quite optimistic for something that kills off most of the world's population.

I have Recursion downloaded, just haven't started it yet, but looking forward to it. I normally rotate between history (primarily WWII) and fiction, so I think my next book will either be finally tackling Jarrod Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel or Eric Schlosser's Command and Control, just because I want to know more about how we nearly blow ourselves up every few years.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
One of my all time favs is The short history of nearly everything by Bill Bryson.
I enjoyed At Home by him, but it definitely wanders a lot. Sometimes by the end of a chapter, I couldn't remember what the topic of the chapter was anymore.

bentin

Autocross Champion
I enjoyed At Home by him, but it definitely wanders a lot. Sometimes by the end of a chapter, I couldn't remember what the topic of the chapter was anymore.
Yeah, he's either his own editor, or his editor is as baked as a batch of cookies. I like his books, but always feel like they could have been short stories, much like Malcolm Gladwell.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
I don’t read much. I like to, but it literally puts me to sleep so I can only get through a page or two at time anymore.

if you like fantasy, I always suggest Dark Heart by Margaret Weis and David Baldwin. It’s a fantasy story set in contemporary times wrapped in a cop drama. It was supposed to be more than one book and the epilogue really set up the next book and it never materialized.

I went on a stint of reading books that were made into films. It helped me to choose something to read

John Dies At The End was such a blast to read. I didn’t know what to expect of it. I haven’t seen the movie and I’m on the fence about it since I enjoyed the book so much.

Fight Club is well worth a read. Pretty close to the film, in some ways, I like the move better.

The Princess Bride, if you liked the movie, the book offers a crazy amount of insight into the story. I actually made it through this one pretty quick.

My wife is a huge reader. Depending on how adventurous you feel she loves this book House Of Leaves. Two caveats. 1) it doesn’t read like a traditional book and 2) because of 1 you need to get a physical copy. I’m not sure there is an e-reader option, but from the way she describes it, it wouldn’t work in that format.