GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
I guess I was kind of vague the when I first asked. while idling seems to be the part thats being missed when I elaborated on it. while sitting still. idling, no accelerator input what so ever. some cars you can hear the turbo spool at idle with an exhaust, some you cant. my understanding of how an exhaust system works if the muffler portion is disrupting or absorbing the faint spool while our tiny factory turbos are idling
the high pitch noise comes from the intake impeller, not the exhaust side... this is why diesel trucks turbo sound loud with CAI, a diesel is always WOT, so that intake spool is much louder. the straight pipe just adds fart sounds.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
this is kind of like what Im talking about

Yeah need a TDI to get those kinds of sounds. Even a stock one you can hear a faint bit of it.

I don’t think you can hear a K04 at idle. Never noticed it.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Yeah need a TDI to get those kinds of sounds. Even a stock one you can hear a faint bit of it.

I don’t think you can hear a K04 at idle. Never noticed it.
Definitely can't hear a k04 at idle. Interesting though after I installed an external oil cooler I hear a noticeable whine, it was driving me nuts at first but after I found out it's normal I got used to it. Sounds like a faint supercharger whine

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Ill drop it since it doesnt seem like my question is being understood, vdubnick might have answered with turbo muffler delete. thanks for the input tho
I think you are misunderstanding what a turbo muffler is, it has nothing to do with the actual exhaust system.
Yes?

Last edited:

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Idk about that unit/brand, sorry.
Do aftermarket downpipes not cause some extra turbo noise to come out? What about simply gutting the pre-cat?
Any exhaust can help some extra noises come out but mainly at low speed. If you're WOT then you're not gonna hear much turbo noises out the back end lol

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I guess I was kind of vague the when I first asked. while idling seems to be the part thats being missed when I elaborated on it. while sitting still. idling, no accelerator input what so ever. some cars you can hear the turbo spool at idle with an exhaust, some you cant. my understanding of how an exhaust system works if the muffler portion is disrupting or absorbing the faint spool while our tiny factory turbos are idling
I know what you mean & you're right.

I've heard the 1.8T MK6 Jettas sound that way with an exhaust. You'll get some turbo whistle noises.

See at the 1:04 mark here & 1:23, for example:

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I know what you mean & you're right.

I've heard the 1.8T MK6 Jettas sound that way with an exhaust. You'll get some turbo whistle noises.

See at the 1:04 mark here & 1:23, for example:
Sounds like a weed whacker 🤦‍♂️

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
Any exhaust can help some extra noises come out but mainly at low speed. If you're WOT then you're not gonna hear much turbo noises out the back end lol
exactly... this is why diesels can make that spool noise easily... they have no throttle, their intake is wide open, like cclark6146's mom

spacecity.gti

Sortaflush