GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
I had the hatch open, and noticed the holes in my tail lights. Are there supposed to be screws or anything there? Feel pretty snug.
no, they are held in with a 10mm plastic spring wing nut (pop the cover on the inside if you are curious) simple design.

Hungry4hops

Autocross Champion
Not sure about the OEM taillights buy mine are from oneperfectdose and the tailights can be adjusted to fit with those 2 holes. The tailight has to be loosened first and think it was a torx to adjust. Can't remember exactly it's been awhile since I installed them.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
What’s dis and why can I see it? Looks like it locks the seat down or something it slides and ratchets.

E9FA9588-B319-4200-8EDD-67A6E8F8F4EB.jpeg

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
What’s dis and why can I see it? Looks like it locks the seat down or something it slides and ratchets.
its the quick release track, only on 2 doors... so you can slide the seat forward without loosing the position

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I need to reseat one of these. Anyone have any pointers on how it should be under normal circumstances?

Yeah this!? Does the seat need to be removed? It it supposed to be attached to the seat rail.

The picture is passenger side but I was wondering why my driver seat suddenly wouldn’t “remember” where it was when I moved it up. This may have happened on that side too.

Gr8N0rthW0lf

Go Kart Champion
Suitable place for this as I feel like an idiot right now. Trying to install my new DV with DV+ but having a real hard time just getting access to the existing DV to remove it. Only jacked up my car on the passenger side and put a jack stand under the LCA bracket. Could not find a comfortable angle to reach to the DV in order to remove the allen bolts. Any recommendations?

I watched a few videos. Saw lasthumansgarage video and had a laugh when I tried to get my arm in through where he did - was not happening. Looks like removing front passenger wheel will help, and removing the lower wheel well shroud too - planning on trying again next weekend. Am I missing something else here?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Suitable place for this as I feel like an idiot right now. Trying to install my new DV with DV+ but having a real hard time just getting access to the existing DV to remove it. Only jacked up my car on the passenger side and put a jack stand under the LCA bracket. Could not find a comfortable angle to reach to the DV in order to remove the allen bolts. Any recommendations?

I watched a few videos. Saw lasthumansgarage video and had a laugh when I tried to get my arm in through where he did - was not happening. Looks like removing front passenger wheel will help, and removing the lower wheel well shroud too - planning on trying again next weekend. Am I missing something else here?
Removing the wheel and liner takes 5 mins and gives you all the room you need

Gr8N0rthW0lf

Go Kart Champion

dietpeachfresca

Passed Driver's Ed
How loose/tight should the outer front brake pad be in the bracket?

I did my fronts yesterday, first time I've done brakes that didn't use the metal clip for the pads. The outer driver side pad slid right into the bracket, and the outer passenger side needed a little bit of pushing. I got it in, everything seemed fine, but I got a little bit paranoid, and went down with the dremel this morning and cleared out that part of the bracket that holds the pad. It goes in more freely now, but I'm just not familiar with how loose it should be in the bracket.

The wear on the pad this morning after bedding them yesterday did have wear on both sides, just not the middle section. Feels a bit less touchy now, but I didn't really get to test since a massive storm decided to show up as soon as I took the brakes back apart.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
They kinda just sit in there.

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion

IIRC i was able to do it from under the car, no need to pull the wheel or well cover. I did it when i did my exhaust, so I had the car about a foot off the ground.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
IIRC i was able to do it from under the car, no need to pull the wheel or well cover. I did it when i did my exhaust, so I had the car about a foot off the ground.
I also did mine with out removing the wheel. If the car is jacked up I can see and reach the DV easily. And it's only 3 Allen bolts.

Gr8N0rthW0lf

Go Kart Champion
Maybe I just didn't have myself well positioned under the car. Could definitely see the DV no prob, but only angle I had was from behind the oil pan and CV axle - maybe I just needed to get a little further. Had limited time, will have more time to do it next weekend.