GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Yo I still love my k04 MK6. Maybe more now than ever.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
Yo I havent posted in like 3 years but my shits still fun as hell. Im still rippin it like everyday's a track day.

I should rename it Theodore Roosevelt, sickly and weak when it was young.. But strong and loud and fuckin beefy as it ages...

Its a summer-only toy now. 118k on the clock. No real issues except it eats waterpumps, boost hose clamps and o2 sensors for breakfast.. and the motherfuckers starting to rust. But fuck it owes me nothing at this point. Its survived this long being driven like it was hooked up to an engine stress testing machine.

I got an explorer for winter and a Kawasaki Z900RS for ratcheting up the mortal danger and I really want an M2 but Ill never get rid of this sweet old bitch.

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
well, if you get bored and are looking for some sweet mods, i hear honeycomb stickers and plaid inserts are the new craze. right @Joe_Mama ?

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
curious about your water pumps.... are you replacing with aftermarket parts? i would be shocked if the updated factory unit kept going out.

also, i think there is an all metal housing one now, may be worth getting.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
curious about your water pumps.... are you replacing with aftermarket parts? i would be shocked if the updated factory unit kept going out.

Are the latest pumps considered reliable?

damagi123

Go Kart Champion

Yeah I should have gone with the all aluminum one, yes the last two were the last two revisions lol. But to be fair my motor leaks oil it drips right on em and fucks them up.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Are the latest pumps considered reliable?

Yes. That is of course unless:

my motor leaks oil it drips right on em and fucks them up.

The water pump has a gasket that when exposed to oil will swell and crack/explode the plastic housing.

Mine was replaced under the recall when they did the manifold, ive had no issues. The originals were recalled because the impellers broke off inside.

Glad you still love the car @damagi123

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
I've had a slight leak from my valve cover for the past 180k miles, and have only replaced my water pump once, and that's only cause a fat mechanic leaned on it and broke the pulley off, at 210,000 miles. These pumps going bad often sound like a poor install.

I did rip the belt off when I over revved the motor racing once. Anyone else done that?

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I've had a slight leak from my valve cover for the past 180k miles, and have only replaced my water pump once

Yeah mean, 'slight leak' is very subjective. Some people just dont give a shit and let it drip all over the thing so it fails quite fast.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
My MK6 GTI still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it and its still on the stock map!

I might do some engine work this summer, but I'm struggling to justify it (as with the last 9 years) because I drive so slow. I have a semi aggressive rim and coil over setup.

Last edited: