GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
How are those general gmax tires in terms of comfort, grip, and noise?

They are the best tires ive put on the car bar none. Im sure they couldnt stand up to some pilot super sports but they are half the price.

Here are the tires ive ran on this car:

Dunlops - all season. these came from factory and were awful in every way. I had multiple tires develop sidewall bubbles from hitting potholes.

Pirelli Pzero - all season. rode these the longest and bought multiple times. Great grip and ride at first but they quickly lose grip as they accumulate miles, and they are terrible in the rain.

Riken Raptors- all season. These were just a 'good' all around tire in every way. Ok enough grip, some road noise but not much, better in rain and snow than the pzero. Riken is made by Michelin.

General Gmax - summer performance tires. Better than all of the above and the gripiest tires ive had yet. good in the rain, minimal noise and comfortable while retaining responsiveness. Keep in mind the generals are a different size, 235/45/17 and they arent all seasons. The dunlops, rikens and pirellis were all 225/40/18. General is made by Continental.

Hope that helps

Phur

Autocross Champion
I did my first maintenance wash since the brake swap. I’m hoping to get out to get a few shots later. Until then, I am working on my resume.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
How are those general gmax tires in terms of comfort, grip, and noise?
I ran Gmax my last set of tires and they are a solid choice. I did find them a little soft in the corners. I prefer the Falken’s FK510’s that I am running now tho.

clgodwin79

Go Kart Champion
It should be back together and on the road again. But I’ve said that before! 😂

I’ll post those pictures of how the headlights and taillights turned out. Along with painting the GTI badges red repainting the bubbling red strips in the grille, as well as the backsets of the VW badges Tornado Red and the VW badges themselves black. It definitely looks a lot more custom than your average GTI now.

221705DB-6AFD-4BC0-9E8F-385897F297EF.jpeg
343C536C-3697-42CE-8CA7-511A116AD981.jpeg
625708D2-E484-44C9-A038-ACEBBFBB9B5E.jpeg
6CB0713C-DD21-4538-B075-AA4023F9284B.jpeg
E5456143-468A-4CD3-A7DF-7828874F58F3.jpeg

clgodwin79

Go Kart Champion
It dirty, but it’s done. Plus now more ghetto ass oil leaks. And the A/C was so cold 🥶 that we actually had to turn it down some on the test drive.

I’ll get better pictures when it’s not so sunny. But the VW badge and GTI badges turned out great. The yellow on the fog lights looks really good too. And you can barely tell in the picture, but the headlights and taillights are also very lightly tinted now.

It all came together pretty well in the end.

2C7695C8-B1E3-4C62-9B52-7661211AF998.jpeg
11C8B164-7026-4CE1-ABE4-91918A477241.jpeg
6A57ABAA-F04C-4DF7-9FD9-4B374A6B7DBB.jpeg

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Great job man

tdream1

Autocross Newbie

clgodwin79

Go Kart Champion
also new timing chain, tensioner and guides (precautionary), DSG Service, deep clean.
That’s good to hear about the timing update! So many people know better, but still don’t address this in time! Not that it’s always a bad thing. I got my 2011 for $2k because the previous owner was lazy and it jumped timing. Even with a remanufactured head and everything else I’m still way under the value of the vehicle vs what I have in it. Plus I’ve got all new seals everywhere since I was already in there. So absolutely 0 carbon and only around 1k of miles on my top end.

So his loss was definitely my gain. You just have to be willing to buy all of the specialty tools and not be faint of heart! Lol

My rebuild

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Attempted to take the mk6 out for a trip to pick up some parts, got about 10 min from my place when I decided that the suspension noises I heard was rubbing from being a bit lower than expected. Went home and found that My rear driver wheel is real tight in the rubber and the rear pass is not far off.

Might go get something to replace the new 225/40s I put on the new wheels. I like the low but not gonna risk messing up wheels and/or fenders. Half a mind to do a phonebook fender roll in the rear.

jedred1

jedred1
Today I changed my broken drivers side front window switch with a new one. It took 2 plastic pry tools and 2 credit cards. Twenty minutes, 2 cables disconnected, switch the switch and pop it all back together. Start by prying on the left side buy the mirror adjuster knob you will hear a snap. Then move to the top above the mirror adjuster knob and work around to the left side. Once the top and left and right sides are loose pull the whole cluster up and forward and it should be free of the door panel. Now work on disconnecting the switch wires. 2 plugs; one for the mirror adjuster knob and one for the window switches. Now you can take the switch cluster to your work bench and work the window switch cluster out of the bezel with the 2 credit cards. Snap the new one in and plug things back and snap the whole thing back in the door. The Ebay part I used to replace it with: Genuine OEM VW 5K4-959-857-A-XSH Driver Front Master Power Window Switch. The vid I watched to figure things out; How to Replace Master Window Switch 06-10 Volkswagen GTI - YouTube. I have a 4 door so obviously 4 switches.

Last edited: