GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear main seal leak…can I still drive it?

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
so I found out yesterday my GTI is leaking oil (rear main seal).

when I got my cars clutch replaced, the shop I did the clutch at said I didn’t need to change the RMS. I believed them and didn’t know that there is a revised RMS that should’ve been installed with the clutch job.

now I’m going to replace the RMS and I won’t get the clutch replaced as I got it replaced in 2018 and only driven 35k km since the clutch replacement.

RMS revised part will be installed in two weeks at a reputable VW/Audi shop.

can I drive my GTI while it leaks oil due to the RMS?

I wouldn’t be doing far drives. Short distance and won’t rev as much. 2.5k gear shifts.

my cars clutch is good as I don’t drive it as much, I barely launch the car and never tracked it.

it hasn’t been driven for the past two winters in Canada. So I definitely won’t be changing the clutch with the RMS.

I want to know if I can still drive it with RMS oil leak? (liquid money leaking -_-)

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Depends how severe it is, it can go from a little drip with no symptoms to pouring out, and can progress pretty rapidly. Also its a basically a vacuum leak so when it gets bad youll start to throw codes and get misfires. I'd only drive it a short distance if you'd absolutely have to.

c31561

Go Kart Champion
The risk you run into with a RMS seal leak is getting oil on your clutch. Once you get oil on the clutch disk, it’s done and you will have to replace.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
The risk you run into with a RMS seal leak is getting oil on your clutch. Once you get oil on the clutch disk, it’s done and you will have to replace.
I was told that wouldn’t happen… because the RMS is on the other side. I haven’t driven the car yet. I plan to drive it only when I need to bring the car to the shop for the RMS replacement (appointment made for September 15th).

I highly doubt that will happen. It won’t happen. I can’t afford a new clutch right now.
This RMS replacement is already costing me a cost of a clutch kit.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Depends how severe it is, it can go from a little drip with no symptoms to pouring out, and can progress pretty rapidly. Also its a basically a vacuum leak so when it gets bad youll start to throw codes and get misfires. I'd only drive it a short distance if you'd absolutely have to.
It’s not as bad… just a few drops. I noticed the oil leak drops in the early stage. I always look underneath my car when I cold start in the morning. Alwayssss!

yes. I was told by multiple mechanics of what you wrote. None of them said the oil can get on to the clutch… that would be messed up as I can’t have the bill get bigger. I’m already paying close to 1,000$CAD.

thanks for everyone’s feedback. I’ll update you guys on what happens.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
If you decide to go aftermarket please get the 034 Motorsport rear main seal. The iAbed unit is similar but doesn't have the seal already pressed in, nor does it come with the installation tool. Not to mention, support of the product is severely lacking....

034 Motorsport Billet Aluminum Rear Main Seal, 2.0T TSI

Cclark6146

Go Kart Newbie
If you decide to go aftermarket please get the 034 Motorsport rear main seal. The iAbed unit is similar but doesn't have the seal already pressed in, nor does it come with the installation tool. Not to mention, support of the product is severely lacking....

yes get a billet RMS. I went for the iAbed seal and was able to fenagle it into place so a tool would have been nice. it was pressed into the plate though.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion

I already bought the iABED RMS. I'm bringing it to a shop that has done RMS's on TSI motors numerous times, so I am sure they will have a tool/know to press it in properly. I'll let you all know how it goes after installation. Getting a new clutch put in as well. Along with iABED rear main seal... I pray for no more leaks of any kind from any of my cars...

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
yes get a billet RMS. I went for the iAbed seal and was able to fenagle it into place so a tool would have been nice. it was pressed into the plate though.
Any leaks after you installed your iAbed seal??? how long has it been?

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
From what I understand; if the seal is installed correctly, there shouldn’t be any leaks at all. Regardless if it’s 034 or iAbed. As the 034 seal can also leak if not installed correctly.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
You are right, you can install anything wrong but the iAbed seal has by far the highest rate of install errors and subsequent leaks, and its been that way for years.

Cclark6146

Go Kart Newbie
it hasnt been in for long. after some research most places just slide it onto the crank and the lip on the seal folds over so the start leaking again. if it came with a tool like the 034 would have made it go on smooth. either option would be a good choice.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Personally I'll just go with the updated OEM version when it's time

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
it hasnt been in for long. after some research most places just slide it onto the crank and the lip on the seal folds over so the start leaking again. if it came with a tool like the 034 would have made it go on smooth. either option would be a good choice.
I hear 034 has a lawsuit. IAbed apparently filed a lawsuit against 034… from what I heard today. At this point I’m going to NOT go with iAbed or 034…

Last edited:

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion