GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thumper's 2012 Stg 3 Golf R - The Defiant

torga

Autocross Champion
I ironically just got these put up on the UroTuning site like twenty minutes ago. Here is a graph of the testing they ran for these specific coils for reference:

View attachment 219709
It's an extra ~3% of output energy at the very top end of dwell, but you're seeing a fairly consistent energy increase throughout most of the curve. Not entirely sure if 3% is enough to truly be noticeable. Keeping my ears perked for reviews and such.
In any case, a set of APR coils cost roughly the same as a set of genuine R8 coils. So if the reliability is there, it's a no brainer to pay the same amount for something that outputs 3% more energy.
Thought about this some more. It's only a 3% increase if you compare (X,Y) coordinate versus (X,Y) coordinate, but that's not accurate -- you need to compare the area under each curve. So the total energy output over those 2ms is likely 10-15% higher than stock.

Been a long time since I've had to do real math 😅

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Thought about this some more. It's only a 3% increase if you compare (X,Y) coordinate versus (X,Y) coordinate, but that's not accurate -- you need to compare the area under each curve. So the total energy output over those 2ms is likely 10-15% higher than stock.

Been a long time since I've had to do real math 😅
nerd

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I wonder what that translates into as far as the effect that it has on our cars, though. Will the extra output energy result in a stronger, more consistent spark? Will that create a more consistent burn? If so, I would think that it would cause the engine to run smoother, perhaps with a very very slight increase in power. Or are the OEM coils good enough that the extra output energy is irrelevant?

Thumper? It sounds like you have some work to do. 😜

Yup.

I ran ignition logs about a year ago when I installed red tops and new plugs. I technically SHOULD run new logs before I swap but I just really want them on this weekend. We shall see.

I'd like to figure out a way to test the coil differences betyween stock blacktops and the R8 redtops. they are different shape and a tad heavier, so i'd imagine they have more wiring than stock.

Could be more insulation/resin/etc as well. Wouldn't it be hilarious if R8 guys swapped out to the Golf coils for weight savings? :)

Thumper

Autocross Champion
FINALLY an update. Life has been hectic lately, recovering from rapid fire track outings earlier in the season and was away on vacation the end of July, lots of catching up around the house.

Got the APR ignition coils installed a few weeks ago and ran logs, just got some time to go through the logs and crunch some data to share.

The old coils were some "Red Top" coils I bought at ECS but APR tested the R8s and found they were actually no different than OEM anyway.

Data was from 8 runs with each set of coils with Red Top logs done on Saturday and APR coils done on Sunday. Same road and time of day, similar weather so as many variables as possible removed. Data was averaged from runs to make it easier to display. Butt dyno showed car felt more responsive with the APR coils, boost data shows an odd pattern but ultimately stronger boost at upper RPMs.

torga

Autocross Champion
FINALLY an update. Life has been hectic lately, recovering from rapid fire track outings earlier in the season and was away on vacation the end of July, lots of catching up around the house.

Got the APR ignition coils installed a few weeks ago and ran logs, just got some time to go through the logs and crunch some data to share.

The old coils were some "Red Top" coils I bought at ECS but APR tested the R8s and found they were actually no different than OEM anyway.

Data was from 8 runs with each set of coils with Red Top logs done on Saturday and APR coils done on Sunday. Same road and time of day, similar weather so as many variables as possible removed. Data was averaged from runs to make it easier to display. Butt dyno showed car felt more responsive with the APR coils, boost data shows an odd pattern but ultimately stronger boost at upper RPMs.
You should share that data with APR -- I'm sure they'd love to tout that as user experience. Really good data, man. Making me strongly consider picking up a set.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I wouldn't put it past ECS to sell red tops that were just colored OEM and not proper R8 coils.

Interesting data nonetheless.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I wouldn't put it past ECS to sell red tops that were just colored OEM and not proper R8 coils.

Interesting data nonetheless.

They weren't marketed as R8 coils, they were listed as OEM Red Top coils listed to fit the R. As I said, APRs in house testing is stated to have shown the actual coils from an R8 were no different but I like data to be accurate so my personal testing I feel it's important to note what I had on prior.

I agree the data is interesting and I am happy to see some real differences and improvements.

What sucks is the previous owner broke the release clip on the harness for coil pack #3, and I forgot about that until I was removing the old coils which was a pain in the ass with that broken clip. If I had remembered I would have changed the plugs out at the same time. They only have 10k on them but would have saved me a hassle as I plan to change them out after the last two track weekends this year. But maybe I can just have my tuner do that when they do the timing service. lol

torga

Autocross Champion
What sucks is the previous owner broke the release clip on the harness for coil pack #3, and I forgot about that until I was removing the old coils which was a pain in the ass with that broken clip. If I had remembered I would have changed the plugs out at the same time. They only have 10k on them but would have saved me a hassle as I plan to change them out after the last two track weekends this year. But maybe I can just have my tuner do that when they do the timing service. lol
I have the same previous owner shenanigans. Actually, same coil pack on mine, too -- #3. I just use a small pick when I need to unplug the harness. Luckily, the piece of plastic that keeps the harness clipped onto the coil is intact. It's just the bit you press on with your thumb that's broken off.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Coil packs were track tested last weekend at Autobahn Raceway in Joliet, IL. They held up fine, no issues.

I also swapped out the miserable EBC Yellows for G-Loc G16s. Holy HELL those things grab, was a wet track and they gave us shorter first sessions so hard to bed them in but I feel like I did pretty well getting them them settled, they definitely held up fine the whole weekend. The only downside is, as expected, they outbreak the tires which was manageable on the dry track but when it poured mid-day it would actually grab so hard the ABS couldn't work, the system thought the wheels were stopped and let them lock. Took some major modulation to control that but man I love the rain. All the RWD tip toeing around the track slipping and spinning while I just screamed by taking corners at 8/10. lol Next year I'm going to 888Rs but had to get those Yellows off now.

This was a brand new track to me, never been there before and I started the weekend at 1:53, finished the weekend with a 1:44 in the last session before I hit fuel starvation under full throttle under 1/4 tank. They cancelled the run group between my 3rd and 4th session so we pulled off track from the 3rd and then they sent us right back out for the 4th, should have put more in at lunch though. I know I could have gotten to 1:42 easy.

I'll post some video soon.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
So evidently in addition to having low fuel issues in the last and best session of the weekend, I had GoPro low battery issues. The camera died halfway through the session so this is all I have. At least it shows me passing a Corvette I guess.

Now, here's some AWESOME news. They finished building a brand new road course track a mere 45 minutes from my house. Look at this thing, I don't care what they call it, I am calling it the Ozarkring.

https://www.facebook.com/OzarksInternationalRaceway

My NASA region has been talking about it for many months and posted video of their own testing of the track a couple months ago and they assured us we would be going there next year. Yesterday I got an email that they had arranged a limited participant event THIS year Nov 6th and I convinced the wife to let me go. It is a one day event, 8am-5pm with only 50 cars and doing 3 run groups, so it will be a MASSIVE amount of track time.

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
Now, here's some AWESOME news. They finished building a brand new road course track a mere 45 minutes from my house. Look at this thing, I don't care what they call it, I am calling it the Ozarkring.

https://www.facebook.com/OzarksInternationalRaceway

My NASA region has been talking about it for many months and posted video of their own testing of the track a couple months ago and they assured us we would be going there next year. Yesterday I got an email that they had arranged a limited participant event THIS year Nov 6th and I convinced the wife to let me go. It is a one day event, 8am-5pm with only 50 cars and doing 3 run groups, so it will be a MASSIVE amount of track time.
I have been following the build of this road course for a while just because its so cool to see new courses going up.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Finishing the season strong with a track outing every other week! lol Autobahn in Joliet, IL 2 weeks ago, Heartland Park in Topeka this last weekend and of course the inaugural launch of the OzarkRing (OIR) in 2 weeks. Such an amazing wife I have with hitting 6 track weekends including 3 out of state trips this year.

Had a little rain at Heartland but just overnight Saturday so only the first session was dampish (4 other sessions went out before us and dried it out a bit), 2nd session was moist and I passed my test to move to the Advanced group HPDE 4. Next year I will be on the charge to earn earn my comp license and go into Time Trials!!!!!!

This was first session on Sunday, some real excitement with a car spinning out in turn 2 on the out lap and then another spinning out right in front of me the next lap and of course everyone else tip toeing around the slippery track while I just kept the hammer down.

I got a lot of footage this weekend so will try to post more from Saturday which was dry but we were running the longer track configuration which is more fun. However, stay tuned in 2 weeks I will be prioritizing getting the footage I get at OzarkRing up for all to enjoy.

Last edited:

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
After following this thread for a few months now, I think I'm inspired to build a track car after I finish the wagen. Love all of this and how you document and recap your outings.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
After following this thread for a few months now, I think I'm inspired to build a track car after I finish the wagen. Love all of this and how you document and recap your outings.

Dude, that wagon you're building should be your track car. :) A wagon was my first wish for the race car but I wanted a manual for lower costs so that put the newer Audi's with the 2.0L out of the running as really hard to find manuals, and building a 2.7T Allroad would be amazing but a lot more time and money than I can devote right now. The R was perfect but I still want a fast wagon.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
As promised, video of my best session at Ozark International Raceway yesterday. It was so awesome to be one of the first drivers on this amazing new track. We all got special stickers and T-shirts to commemorate the event. :cool: 😁

They really have done an amazing thing with this track, it is simply incredible and the video does not do it justice. Put this one on your bucket list or better yet come out next year and just get it checked off, NASA Central is going there twice. Every session I came off the track with an ear to ear grin and a fizzy feeling in my James May area. lol

We were under point-by passing rules only all day due to everyone being new to the track which is why I was stuck behind the 370Z for so long, he didn't point me by. I know him from other track events and know he was having some car issues (he actually went home after this session). Still should have pointed me by but the lap after he pulled in was so good I really lost any disappointment I felt.