GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR vs Unitronic stage 1 tune, which is better

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
They're both solid tunes. You can't go wrong with either. Just choose the one that's most convenient for you to have done. You're not going to get a a solid answer as to which one is better as it's all subjective.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Yeah just do it. Whatever is easiest for you. I don’t live near an APR dealer so Unitronic was the better route for me but they are both super reliable strong tunes.

I have been from Unitronic 1+ to their K04 tune and never had a hiccup with any of them.

Before the tune:

Check the tensioner
New plugs and coil packs
DV+

tulip

Ready to race!
I've switched between APR and uni and I find power is quite similar... biggest difference in my opinion is boost hits pretty hard with APR and I found it more sluggish in low rpm's. Like everyone is saying, do whatever is easiest/more convenient. Both tunes are GREAT but if I were to restart my journey, I would of bought a cobb AP from the start...

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
APR uses higher boost to get power Uni does more timing advancement. Either one is fine.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Something to consider is if you willbe running E30 or other ethanol blends. Unitronic does not offer that. APR has a 100 Octane file. I’m at a point that I need to switch tunes because I want to add W/M. I’ll be going Stratified most lint.

tulip

Ready to race!
Something to consider is if you willbe running E30 or other ethanol blends. Unitronic does not offer that. APR has a 100 Octane file. I’m at a point that I need to switch tunes because I want to add W/M. I’ll be going Stratified most lint.
Thinking of going K04 next spring... What made you want to go with Strat? just trying to figure what tune I should get with it.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Thinking of going K04 next spring... What made you want to go with Strat? just trying to figure what tune I should get with it.
I've been through APR then Uni Stage 2+, back to APR when 3.1 came out, then went COBB with Stratified tuning by Alex when I was K04. Alex was just starting to tune for my WMI system and it was impressive, but I ended up just deciding to bite the bullet and go with a bigger turbo. Ended up with the APR Stage 3 GTX kit and I'm super happy with it. The 100 octane file is nuts, but I digress.

Back to your inquiry. Alex and his team at Stratified know their stuff and put out great tunes. Out of APR, Uni and custom by Strat, the custom tuning by Alex was by far the best feeling tune. It was very linear and was pretty damn quick. You won't be disappointed with going with Stratified. The only thing is having to wait for each revision. When that email shows up with a new revision, you'll feel like it's Christmas morning or the first night of Hanukkah all over again.

tulip

Ready to race!
I've been through APR then Uni Stage 2+, back to APR when 3.1 came out, then went COBB with Stratified tuning by Alex when I was K04. Alex was just starting to tune for my WMI system and it was impressive, but I ended up just deciding to bite the bullet and go with a bigger turbo. Ended up with the APR Stage 3 GTX kit and I'm super happy with it. The 100 octane file is nuts, but I digress.

Back to your inquiry. Alex and his team at Stratified know their stuff and put out great tunes. Out of APR, Uni and custom by Strat, the custom tuning by Alex was by far the best feeling tune. It was very linear and was pretty damn quick. You won't be disappointed with going with Stratified. The only thing is having to wait for each revision. When that email shows up with a new revision, you'll feel like it's Christmas morning or the first night of Hanukkah all over again.
Tks for the reply, I've been really considering Strat for the k04 so this pretty much seals the deal for me 👍👍

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Tks for the reply, I've been really considering Strat for the k04 so this pretty much seals the deal for me 👍👍
Awesome! Happy to help. You'll love what they can do for ya!

GolNat

Autocross Champion

Is there another option for custom tuning? Not really besides Sneaky but Stratified has a good rep on the forum. My Unitronic K04 tune has been super reliable and fun so I don’t want to get rid of it but to add WMI I have too.

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
Is there really a reason to go with anything besides COBB these days? After you're done with the car you can unmarry your AP and resell for most of the cost.