GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Time to do some mods on my bone stock mk6.

10freshmk6

Hi everyone! I have a 2011 mk6 GTI 4 door DSG. Bought it back in 2016 from the VW dealer.
The car is my daily, has been bone stock ever since I had it. Low mileage tho, about 110k on the dash.

I planned to sell it last year but decided to keep it. Now I want to do some mods on it and make it a project car.

Just placed an order of AWE performance catback with black diamond tips, this will be the first mod and the journey begins :)

PS: I do have some aftermarket wheels on, the OEM Detroit Machined wheels were full of dents and scratches, I have to get some new wheels.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 68
  • 22.png
    22.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 73

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
If your suspension is still stock, look into some replacement struts as well as some fresh bushings for the rear position of the front control arms. If you're feeling like you really want to take the extra step to tighten up handling also consider fresh bushings from the trailing arms at the rear. This would also be a good time to add springs and swaybars if you plan to keep the car for a while.

Also maybe set aside a few bucks because if it hasn't been done yet you're probably going to need a whole new timing chain assembly before too long. My chain was effectively worn as far as it could be at about 136k miles. The price for a shop to do this should be in the area of $1500 to $2000.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Yeah definitely set some money aside for maintenance. Has the tensioner been done?

Once all up on the maintenance do a stage 1 tune.

10freshmk6

If your suspension is still stock, look into some replacement struts as well as some fresh bushings for the rear position of the front control arms. If you're feeling like you really want to take the extra step to tighten up handling also consider fresh bushings from the trailing arms at the rear. This would also be a good time to add springs and swaybars if you plan to keep the car for a while.

Also maybe set aside a few bucks because if it hasn't been done yet you're probably going to need a whole new timing chain assembly before too long. My chain was effectively worn as far as it could be at about 136k miles. The price for a shop to do this should be in the area of $1500 to $2000.
Definitely looking to upgrade the suspension. The car is about 110k km on the dash, with relatively low mileage. I'm aware of the timing belt, so far it is good, but thanks for the heads up :)

10freshmk6

Yeah definitely set some money aside for maintenance. Has the tensioner been done?

Once all up on the maintenance do a stage 1 tune.
Still have the original tensioner on.

torga

Autocross Champion
Definitely looking to upgrade the suspension. The car is about 110k km on the dash, with relatively low mileage. I'm aware of the timing belt, so far it is good, but thanks for the heads up :)
Still have the original tensioner on.

Original tensioner on a 2011 will be the faulty version that VW put out (got revised for 12/13 model year). This version fails in a very unpredictable fashion, so even if chain stretch looks good now, that's not a reliable indication of tensioner health.
If I were you, I'd make this priority number 1.

That being said, catching the modding bug is fun! With the only real downside being a lighter wallet. Great suggestions so far. Light suspension refresh and good tires will be very effective in helping your car feel more sporty and responsive.

aregister

Ready to race!
ITS NOT TOO LATE! TRADE UP FOR A MK7!

10freshmk6

ITS NOT TOO LATE! TRADE UP FOR A MK7!
I have driven the MK7, it is really fun to drive and I like it a lot. But this mk6 is the first car I got after college, I would like to keep it :)

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Original tensioner on a 2011 will be the faulty version that VW put out (got revised for 12/13 model year). This version fails in a very unpredictable fashion, so even if chain stretch looks good now, that's not a reliable indication of tensioner health.
If I were you, I'd make this priority number 1.

That being said, catching the modding bug is fun! With the only real downside being a lighter wallet. Great suggestions so far. Light suspension refresh and good tires will be very effective in helping your car feel more sporty and responsive.
X2 upgrade timing chain etc now. Known issue of premature engine failure for this particular year. Lots of trashed motors.