GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I got an oil extractor finally since i've heard such good things about them. Went to use it on my fiance's X3 and low and behold the geniuses at BMW made it sense the oil electronically, so there's no dipstick... Also you have to turn on the engine and let it get up to temp to check the oil level, they should be executed for that one
My Audi A8 is same way

spacecity.gti

Sortaflush
My car started shaking a couple weeks ago. Only while stopped and it was worse with the A/C on. It was idling perfectly, so I did a little internet diagnosing and it seemed like all signs pointed to my motor and/or transmission mounts. I do a little bit of maintenance to my car here and there, but this job seemed a little daunting to me, but thankfully it was actually pretty easy! That is until I got to the transmission mount. It was in really bad shape. It was barely hanging on. Not sure if it's just age, or what, but the bolts looked like they were hanging on for dear life. One of the mount to transmission bolts came out perfectly, the 2nd one came out, but was bent and upon closer look was actually at the breaking point. The 3rd one... was broken in half. I'm not sure if it was already broken or if it just snapped when I tried to take the bolt out. I panicked a bit, and decided to try taking it out with a bolt extractor (which I heard can be hit or miss). Thankfully, it worked. The motor mount was worn and the rubber was torn. The transmission mount didn't look too bad, aside from the bolts, but they were both replaced with OEM equivalents. Maybe later I'll upgrade them, but I'm not looking for more NVH, so I went OEM for now.

Almost forgot, the mounts solved the issue of the shaking. It's so much smoother when starting up the car too. Shifting feels a lot better too (Obviously!).

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    746.7 KB · Views: 40

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
My car started shaking a couple weeks ago. Only while stopped and it was worse with the A/C on. It was idling perfectly, so I did a little internet diagnosing and it seemed like all signs pointed to my motor and/or transmission mounts. I do a little bit of maintenance to my car here and there, but this job seemed a little daunting to me, but thankfully it was actually pretty easy! That is until I got to the transmission mount. It was in really bad shape. It was barely hanging on. Not sure if it's just age, or what, but the bolts looked like they were hanging on for dear life. One of the mount to transmission bolts came out perfectly, the 2nd one came out, but was bent and upon closer look was actually at the breaking point. The 3rd one... was broken in half. I'm not sure if it was already broken or if it just snapped when I tried to take the bolt out. I panicked a bit, and decided to try taking it out with a bolt extractor (which I heard can be hit or miss). Thankfully, it worked. The motor mount was worn and the rubber was torn. The transmission mount didn't look too bad, aside from the bolts, but they were both replaced with OEM equivalents. Maybe later I'll upgrade them, but I'm not looking for more NVH, so I went OEM for now.
Wow! I wonder if the transmission mount had been loosened at some point and had the bolts re-used? Seems very strange that the bolts would be that beat up unless they were loose or re-used when they should have been replaced

spacecity.gti

Sortaflush
Wow! I wonder if the transmission mount had been loosened at some point and had the bolts re-used? Seems very strange that the bolts would be that beat up unless they were loose or re-used when they should have been replaced

That's what my thoughts were too. I've been the only owner, but I don't remember ever having had the mounts replaced. There's a chance someone undid them to do some other work and re-used the same bolts, I guess. I'd hope it wouldn't get that bad on its own.

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
Got some $1 Ali Express Airbag pillar clips . Pretty good for the price, look to be OEM . Ecs and other places want 6-$7 a piece
PXL_20220531_180302015~2.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220531_180505026.jpg
    PXL_20220531_180505026.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 38
  • PXL_20220531_180513918.jpg
    PXL_20220531_180513918.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 40

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
Good deal man, I think I just threw them in a bundle order to get free shipping when I did my headliner.
The original clips were so brittle from the heat . Hopefully the headliner lasts me another 8years lol

torga

Autocross Champion
Heard back from BFI sales about the interlagos lumbar pillows and they said although they're seasonal, they would make a couple for me! SOOPED. 🔥

Clearly lumbar pillows are out of season. It's not even June bro! Everyone knows late-September through mid-October are when lumbar pillows are at their most ripe.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Started work on my LPFP setup. First step was to remove the wires going to the oem fuel pump. Just held the soldering iron to it for a bit until it melted and they pulled right out.

Next was to remove the fuel pump and little hydramat that was in the basket. Don't have any pictures really of this part but there are 3 plastic pieces that hold it onto the basket. I used an oscillating tool to just cut right through them, and used some wirecutters to snip the corrugated fuel line which i'm going to replace. Then I cut off the half of the basket that didn't have the fuel level float on it.

This let me maneuver the tool to cut off the bottom section of the basket as well, which would block me from installing the hydramat otherwise.

Used some computer duster to clean off all the plastic bits from the cutting and it looks brand new

Last thing to do before re-assembly is to get off the last bit of fuel line, going to probably cut it off with a razor.

Here is a mockup of how it's going to look once I get the pump installed with the hydramat, then solder the new wires in and I should be all set.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Killin it.
Doin my best, hopefully this works well. Zipties and fuel line should be here thursday then I can get it soldered back up and installed.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Decided to just get the last piece off, 15 seconds with a razor