GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

jedred1

jedred1
So, just wondering, do you guys have a set amount of mileage for doing a carbon cleaning or do you just wait until you get symptoms and then do it? I’ve got 101000 miles and have not done one. My engine seems to be running better than it was at 40,000 miles.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
So, just wondering, do you guys have a set amount of mileage for doing a carbon cleaning or do you just wait until you get symptoms and then do it? I’ve got 101000 miles and have not done one. My engine seems to be running better than it was at 40,000 miles.
I had mine done at ~90k miles because the intake manifold died and it was convenient to do. There were no obvious symptoms but the engine ran more smoothly at idle afterwards.

I had the manifold off at ~140k miles to install new injectors but the valves actually looked clean enough that I didn't care to bother with cleaning them.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Folow up post on my battery weirdness...

There was definitely something bizarre going on with the new battery. I put the old one back in and was seeing ~13.5v at idle which is slowly and steadily dropping the longer I let the car idle.

I'm not good with electrical systems but my guess is that something sensed that the old battery wasn't in a full state of charge so I'm seeing a higher voltage reading, while something felt that the new battery was completely charged and never showed more than the battery's standard output at around 12.5v.

Lessons learned: stop messing around with power sports batteries and spend the extra money on a regular size one.

I'll be returning the battery. Thankfully I ordered it from Amazon so I can just drop it off at a Kohl's.

Also, pour one out for my old Craftsman 5/8 13mm socket, it looks like the car doesn't want to give it back.
Try another one, I know many have had success with the braille (sp?) Batteries

GolNat

Autocross Champion

Get a cheap Bluetooth scope, remove the IAT(?) sensor and take a look.

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
Previous owner never did it, so I took care of it at 100k. I figure from here on out I'll do it every 60k just because that's the earliest of heard of people having issue with the buildup.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
You need it done.

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
Hey guys, I'm going to be pulling the flywheel soon to have it resurfaced, as well as replacing the rear main seal.

Do I need to drain the oil before I remove either of these parts?

I just changed the oil not even 300 miles ago, so I'd like to catch it in a clean container rather than have it spill all over my floor

jedred1

jedred1
Getting the itch for another project and want to upgrade the stock intercooler. This will be my most ambitious yet. I always value the opinions here on MK6.com so what do you think? Which would you guys want: This or this? I'm leaning toward the IE so far.

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
Getting the itch for another project and want to upgrade the stock intercooler. This will be my most ambitious yet. I always value the opinions here on MK6.com so what do you think? Which would you guys want: This or this? I'm leaning toward the IE so far.

I'd go with the IE unit. Made in the USA, and I believe IE has more experience with VWs than Mishimoto.
Plus the Mishimoto one is on Amazon, and I try to avoid buying on Amazon when I can.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
IE has history of manufacturing issues and their customer service to that end leave much to be desired. Mishimoto has been used by a few on here but I forget their outcomes.

I'm looking at FMICs myself.

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
IE has history of manufacturing issues and their customer service to that end leave much to be desired. Mishimoto has been used by a few on here but I forget their outcomes.

I'm looking at FMICs myself.
Have you considered doing a custom mount? You can save cash and get a lot nicer intercooler if you're willing to make your own piping and brackets

GolNat

Autocross Champion

Neither.

Unitronic’s. If you can catch it on sale even better price.