GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

jedred1

jedred1
Have you considered doing a custom mount? You can save cash and get a lot nicer intercooler if you're willing to make your own piping and brackets

What would you say is the best intercooler? I love APR. I have their tune and downpipe. I see this and this from APR. It it just the piping and brackets that make it so expensive? I've seen some diy's that reuse the stock piping. Not apposed to that idea but mostly just want it to be an easy(er) job. I've never attempted something this in-depth.

Last edited:

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
What would you say is the best intercooler? I love APR. I have their tune and downpipe. I see this and this from APR. It it just the piping and brackets that make it so expensive?
Going off this sources it's IE's intercooler. Unitronic, Mishimoto and APR aren't far off.

http://mygolfmk7.com/mk7-gti-intercooler-test/

I feel a bit silly now, because I cut up my car and did a bunch of work to fit a FMIC that his testing shows is hardly better than stock.... Guess I've sort of seen this, as IATs sit like 20-25 over ambient no matter what, and now I've cut up all my underbody plastics to make all this stuff fit.

Maybe I'll turn it into a bicooler at some point haha

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Going off this sources it's IE's intercooler. Unitronic, Mishimoto and APR aren't far off.

http://mygolfmk7.com/mk7-gti-intercooler-test/

I feel a bit silly now, because I cut up my car and did a bunch of work to fit a FMIC that his testing shows is hardly better than stock.... Guess I've sort of seen this, as IATs sit like 20-25 over ambient no matter what, and now I've cut up all my underbody plastics to make all this stuff fit
which fmic did you do?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
so it is now all but inevitable that i will buy a K04 to upgrade things... im thinking to go with it ill need a few things to make things work. including an upgraded HPFP and injectors. what HPFP should i be looking at now?

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
which fmic did you do?
Treadstone TR8L

At the time I thought "well it flows better than the TR8, it's bigger, and it costs more, so it must be better!"
I think that higher flow comes from a reduction in internal fin/turbulator density.

The thing's a tank, and the car runs great with it, but it's a bit frustrating knowing my IATs could be a bunch lower with a better intercooler choice.

I'm about to start a new job, so once I've financially recovered from my clutch job I'm super tempted to pick up some of the hoses from a twin intercooler kit and run a home made bicooler. Maybe I'll create a custom under tray too, to force air through the cooling stack properly. Right now I don't have any skid tray, and most of the lower bits of the bumper cover are cut off

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
so it is now all but inevitable that i will buy a K04 to upgrade things... im thinking to go with it ill need a few things to make things work. including an upgraded HPFP and injectors. what HPFP should i be looking at now?
Do we have multiple options for HPFPs? I thought the only aftermarket pump for these gen 1 TSIs was the Nostrum kit.

From what I've seen most guys use an Aux fueling system teed off the low pressure line

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Do we have multiple options for HPFPs? I thought the only aftermarket pump for these gen 1 TSIs was the Nostrum kit.

From what I've seen most guys use an Aux fueling system teed off the low pressure line
Haven't done that much digging yet tbh. I was hoping there would be more than 1 option out there.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I think my thermostat is permanently stuck open now, even in the hot weather it doesn't want to stay up at normal operating temp.

Has anybody had a bad experience with metal housing pumps or should I just get another plastic one? There are no oil leaks to ruin a plastic pump and I have an updated PCV with a recently resealed cam cover, but the metal ones look to be similarly priced.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I think my thermostat is permanently stuck open now, even in the hot weather it doesn't want to stay up at normal operating temp.

Has anybody had a bad experience with metal housing pumps or should I just get another plastic one? There are no oil leaks to ruin a plastic pump and I have an updated PCV with a recently resealed cam cover, but the metal ones look to be similarly priced.
I've been using the graf aluminum pump for a few years. No issues with it so far

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
good to hear. I'd rather do it once and not have to bother with it again for another 12 years.
Seems like a well made product and at least protects in one of the two ways they fail. I don't see the housing cracking like the plastic ones do however if you have oil seepage from the cover I think it could still cause the o ring to fail in the same way plastic ones do.

GolNat

Autocross Champion

Do you need HPFP for K04? I thought that was only for BT