GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review: Freaktune New Boston NH Cobb Pro Tuner

JOHNDERS2586

Ready to race!
Hey All,

Just wanted to give a shout out to Jason at Freaktune in New Boston NH. So a little backstory, I picked up my 14 GTI back in May of 22. Quickly went stage 1 Cobb with a Stratified tune. The car was pretty solid at that, I wasn’t looking to do anything crazy. However my stock turbo was having the wastegate flapper issue (110k on the car) and wasn’t consistently building boost (confirmed loose when I took it off). So I had a choice to make. Go with a stock replacement, keep everything else the same, save some money OR upgrade the turbo and spend the extra cash for a KO4 setup. I decided if I’m going to put in the labor, I may as well go for the upgrade. So this left an obvious need for a KO4 compatible tune. Stratified would not do an E tune for a KO4 (I asked) so that option was out. I had heard of SneakyTune doing Ko4 E tunes. But I really wanted to find a local shop, in the event there was any issues. I liked the peace of mind, not to mention just supporting local business.. So someone on here mentioned Freaktune right here in good ol NH. Based on their website they seem to focus primarily on the MS3 and Focus platform. But they do offer tunes for GTI’s. I took a chance. I am very pleased with the result.. Unlike some of the competition which only offers a base tune + 1 revision for set price. Freaktune is willing to go the distance to ensure the best possible outcome through numerous revisions (I had 7 total).. That means a lot to me.. I know that its been fine tuned, to my car. Not just slapped on. I was able to see the progress and changes throughout the revisions / logs. Jason was great to work with. The car feels great!

My only constructive criticism is the time.. It’s a very long process. Each tune/revision obviously required a couple logs, an then about a week wait time to hear back with a new revision. So the entire process for me took about 2 months an that’s with me being pretty diligent.. These guys are busy, an I cant really fault them for that but I admit there were times when I felt impatient..

In summary, definitely recommend!

Brief Summary of Mods I did prior to tune

HPA KO4

Neuspeed FMIC

ESC STG 3 clutch

Eurosport catted DP

Other misc items.

Last edited:

wmssbr10

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey All,

Just wanted to give a shout out to Jason at Freaktune in New Boston NH. So a little backstory, I picked up my 14 GTI back in May of 22. Quickly went stage 1 Cobb with a Stratified tune. The car was pretty solid at that, I wasn’t looking to do anything crazy. However my stock turbo was having the wastegate flapper issue (110k on the car) and wasn’t consistently building boost (confirmed loose when I took it off). So I had a choice to make. Go with a stock replacement, keep everything else the same, save some money OR upgrade the turbo and spend the extra cash for a KO4 setup. I decided if I’m going to put in the labor, I may as well go for the upgrade. So this left an obvious need for a KO4 compatible tune. Stratified would not do an E tune for a KO4 (I asked) so that option was out. I had heard of SneakyTune doing Ko4 E tunes. But I really wanted to find a local shop, in the event there was any issues. I liked the peace of mind, not to mention just supporting local business.. So someone on here mentioned Freaktune right here in good ol NH. Based on their website they seem to focus primarily on the MS3 and Focus platform. But they do offer tunes for GTI’s. I took a chance. I am very pleased with the result.. Unlike some of the competition which only offers a base tune + 1 revision for set price. Freaktune is willing to go the distance to ensure the best possible outcome through numerous revisions (I had 7 total).. That means a lot to me.. I know that its been fine tuned, to my car. Not just slapped on. I was able to see the progress and changes throughout the revisions / logs. Jason was great to work with. The car feels great!

My only constructive criticism is the time.. It’s a very long process. Each tune/revision obviously required a couple logs, an then about a week wait time to hear back with a new revision. So the entire process for me took about 2 months an that’s with me being pretty diligent.. These guys are busy, an I cant really fault them for that but I admit there were times when I felt impatient..

In summary, definitely recommend!

Brief Summary of Mods I did prior to tune

HPA KO4

Neuspeed FMIC

ESC STG 3 clutch

Eurosport catted DP

Other misc items.
Glad you found a local tuner! Odd that Stratified wouldn't tune for E as I had 2010 GTI with K04 Stratified tuned for E30. I did have their aux fueling kit though. That may be the difference.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Glad you found a local tuner! Odd that Stratified wouldn't tune for E as I had 2010 GTI with K04 Stratified tuned for E30. I did have their aux fueling kit though. That may be the difference.
I think in this instance, E is for remote tune via email, not tuning for E85 or E30. Stratified will not tune for aftermarket downpipes any longer and that's most likely the reason why he had to seek out another tuner.

Jguyett

Damn, I’m in NH and been working with stratified since April. They’ve been awesome but I definitely would’ve preferred local. I would’ve gone with them instead.