GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Better strut spreader

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
So when installing front shocks I normally use the elliptical spreader socket and almost always it works fine and with some pressure from jack it falls into place. This weekend I was installing new struts and the elliptical worked fine on first one, then on second shock it did not spread enough for me to get the shock fully seated. Come to the rescue an alternative spread tool that I highly recommend. Purchased off Amazon for 34 bux. It has the ability to spread further than the elliptical and with this tool the second shock dropped right in. From time to time I see posts about folks having to sand paint off etc to get the shock to drop in. This tool takes care of the issue.

You hold the body of the tool with a 17mm open end wrench and turn the black threaded top with a 17mm socket. Works great!!

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
Nice find! 👍🏼 This would also work well with the MK7 rigs/aluminum strut carriers. Per my experience on an MK7, the aluminum strut carriers gets a little chewed up using the standard socket strut spreader.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Interesting. I had some issues with this the last time I did my struts. I think in my case after doing the struts a few times the spreader edges became worn enough to no longer spread enough to slide the strut down. I am going to check out this new tool next time I have to pull the front struts.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Interesting. I had some issues with this the last time I did my struts. I think in my case after doing the struts a few times the spreader edges became worn enough to no longer spread enough to slide the strut down. I am goint to check out this new tool next time I have to pull the front struts.
What I didn't mention is that I had 2 ellipticals and the first one actually snapped off this weekend. The second was new but still failed to work for me

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I had one of these, was amazing and worked way better than the traditional spreaders but it didn't last, broke after using it 3 times.
Looks like I have 2 more to go..... Since I have changed the suspension on this car twice in a year, hope I won't be doing this again for a while.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I've replaced the shocks on the Tiguan and the Golf and never used any of these "spreaders", I just drove a cold chisel bit into the gap to open the gap.