GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB: Vu - Local Forum n00b Questions Forum Unwritten Rules - New Pope Being Elected

Status
Not open for further replies.

torga

Autocross Champion
Mine is a Seasonic PSU and I haven't heard of them screwing people around. 2.5 years into a 750W 80+ Platinum PSU... so, weird.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Mine is a Seasonic PSU and I haven't heard of them screwing people around. 2.5 years into a 750W 80+ Platinum PSU... so, weird.
If I were to go on brand alone, Seasonic would be my pick. Unfortunately there's a lot of tomfoolery in the space of PSUs, to the point where a mid-grade Corsair (for example) might just be a rebranded Seasonic, and a higher-end EVGA might just be some sketchy third party nonsense.

I wish 80+ designation had any bearing on quality, but that doesn't appear to be the case in the slightest. Either way, PSU is probably the thing I most regret cheaping out on when I was younger, and now will spend the extra coin. It's not about if it will or won't go bad, but rather like you said, it's chances of going all murder-suicide on the other spendy parts of the PC.

torga

Autocross Champion
If I were to go on brand alone, Seasonic would be my pick. Unfortunately there's a lot of tomfoolery in the space of PSUs, to the point where a mid-grade Corsair (for example) might just be a rebranded Seasonic, and a higher-end EVGA might just be some sketchy third party nonsense.

I wish 80+ designation had any bearing on quality, but that doesn't appear to be the case in the slightest. Either way, PSU is probably the thing I most regret cheaping out on when I was younger, and now will spend the extra coin. It's not about if it will or won't go bad, but rather like you said, it's chances of going all murder-suicide on the other spendy parts of the PC.

Yep, exactly my thought process, which is why I bought the best 750W Seasonic PSU I could get my hands on, no mid/low-grades, I didn't wanna take chances. But here we are.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I started thinking about it and couldn't remember how long ago I built my PC. I had it in my head that it was 6 years ago and it was like holy shit, has it really been that long? I need to upgrade but I'm not ready!

I got a big fuckin case that I was planning on doing a full water cooling loop with. Then I ended up only watercooling the CPU. Now I think my case is way too big and my next computer will definitely be smaller. I'm not sure I'd go as small as ITX, but I'm going smaller on the next one. I really like some of the ITX cases though.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
I started thinking about it and couldn't remember how long ago I built my PC. I had it in my head that it was 6 years ago and it was like holy shit, has it really been that long? I need to upgrade but I'm not ready!
My and my wife's computers are 11 and 12 years old. I had to give up gaming long ago and my Bluetooth module just failed, but otherwise it's chugging along. Still pretty good at Internet browsing and saving files.

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
I've been thinking of getting rid of mine, to be honest. I never have time nor desire for video games anymore and all I do on it is photo editing. I could get a laptop to do the same and save on desk space.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
My and my wife's computers are 11 and 12 years old. I had to give up gaming long ago and my Bluetooth module just failed, but otherwise it's chugging along. Still pretty good at Wynn browsing and saving files.
I couldn't go that long. lol
My computer is hooked up to a 55" 4k tv and a 34" ultrawide 1440p monitor. Somehow my RTX 2070 handles everything I throw at it. It's really pushing it to the limit at those resolutions though. It's almost 4 years old, so I'm getting close to when I'd typically build a new PC. I probably won't do a full rebuild when it comes time to upgrading. I could probably get away with just a new GPU right now, but I don't feel like spending that kind of cash yet.

Thumper

Autocross Champion

Yeah the 80+ stuff is just "efficiency" of how much it pulls out of the wall so that it can reach it's stated supply. The LAST thing to cheap on is the PSU for sure.

Man I used to build a system every 8-10 months back in the day, haven't built anything new in over a decade, been spending all my money on my cars. Now I am dying to build a wicked PC. Dangit.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
I've been thinking of getting rid of mine, to be honest. I never have time nor desire for video games anymore and all I do on it is photo editing. I could get a laptop to do the same and save on desk space.
I rarely play games, but I don't know that I could give it up 100%. I definitely have too many computers in the house, but it'd be too costly to move everything to the cloud exclusively. At some point I'll look at my options for consolidation/moving some of the data offsite, but for the time being it's easier just to keep up with it myself. It's also been a real fun learning experience, though someday I'd like to be free enough to just have a laptop and a phone.

I got a solid 8(?) years out of my Haswell i5, though I did upgrade midway through my ownership of that setup to a GTX 970. Now that build is serving a friend as his Plex server and games-on-the-TV PC, which is pretty cool. I will admit though, the bump from that i5 to the 3700X was noticable even just in OS operation, though I think I'll probably hold out for a while on my current build as long as possible. I'm still playing games at 1080p144 because I just can't justify the cost of new monitors.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion

I got a big fuckin case that I was planning on doing a full water cooling loop with. Then I ended up only watercooling the CPU. Now I think my case is way too big and my next computer will definitely be smaller. I'm not sure I'd go as small as ITX, but I'm going smaller on the next one. I really like some of the ITX cases though.

Bro ITX is the way to go. I can't remember the last time I had an ATX case. My computer is smaller than a shoebox, but still has a Ryzen 3800X and RTX3080.

DangerDane2008

Drag Racing Champion
I took over my GF’s laptop for flight school stuff.

We went to microcenter Saturday I had to show some restraint in there. I’ve been wanting to build a PC but I just don’t have the time to game much less build one. GF ended up buying a new laptop since she’s in school too. (not from Microcenter) it hasa 3070 in it. Not sure if she’s ever gonna use it to its full potential but I told her to bounce on it. it’s a whole lot of computer for $600.

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Just had a little bit of false hope. Someone on the audi forum that put in a deposit at the same dealer I did said they got 4 allocations.

After reaching out to my dealer that doesn't seem to be the case. I don't know where he got that info from, but I'm assuming my salesman is gonna chase down this other guys salesman and figure out why he said that. My salesman is actually the guy that's in charge of the allocations and the line of orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.