GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to Know if Rims Will Fit My GTI

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Ready to race!
I've been looking around for a used set of aluminum rims for my 2013 GTI. (My preference would be to buy a set made by VW.) However, I don't know how to check if a given set of rims will fit on my GTI.

What parameters do I need to check to be certain that a set of rims will fit on my GTI?

Thumper

Autocross Champion

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Ready to race!
Folks on MKV put out some good info and I used it when I had MKV. It generally applies to the MK6 which I currently own.
This should help get you started. VW wheels designed for the hatch backs should all fit fine.

https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/index.php?threads/mkv-wheel-tire-fitment-guide.55006/
Another good site to do some research on, good resource.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/

Just find the OE specs on your wheels

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/volkswagen/gti/2013/

Thanks for the info.

I'm planning to get these rims for use with winter tires. So I'm not looking for anything fancy, and probably 16" diameter. I decided to go with aluminum because it doesn't rust.

At the moment I'm looking for original VW rims for Golfs. One set that I have my eye on are from a 2021 Golf ("Dover" rims). But how to I check if they will fit my 2013 GTI?

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Ready to race!
I have my eye on some used 16" VW aluminium rims. Here is a photo:

420ad7ba-5390-4ca5-80e2-192d7782eee1 (1).jpg

Apparently they are from a 2007 Rabbit/Golf.

How do I determine if they will fit my 2013 GTI?

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I have my eye on some used 16" VW aluminium rims. Here is a photo:

View attachment 274574

Apparently they are from a 2007 Rabbit/Golf.

How do I determine if they will fit my 2013 GTI?

Step 1: Find out the specs for the wheel you want to buy and not just diameter and bolt pattern, you need to know width, backspace, AND hub bore. Hub bore and bolt size are the two most vital specs, if they don't match nothing else matters. If the hub bore of the new wheel is smaller than the hub of the car it's going on there's no way to make it fit without machining out the hub. If the donor hub is bigger then the car it's going on then you just need to source hub rings to fill in the gap.

2013 GTI Wheel

57.1mm hub, backspace from 49 to 54 (but actually shows one of the options is a 16x6.5 wheel with a 50 backspace, important for below)

2007 Golf Wheel

57.1mm hub, backspace between 47 and 54 depending on width but look at that, there's that same 16x6.5 with a 50 backspace. Score LOL

On the back of the wheel there should be stamped the width and backspace to confirm but all the OEM sizes are pretty similar to those on the GTI so shouldn't be a problem.

Step2: If there were vastly different you would want to plug the specs into that willtheyfit site I posted and it will show you a visual representation as well on where the wheel and tire will sit compared to panel edge and suspension.

Step 3: Profit

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Ready to race!
Step 1: Find out the specs for the wheel you want to buy and not just diameter and bolt pattern, you need to know width, backspace, AND hub bore. Hub bore and bolt size are the two most vital specs, if they don't match nothing else matters. If the hub bore of the new wheel is smaller than the hub of the car it's going on there's no way to make it fit without machining out the hub. If the donor hub is bigger then the car it's going on then you just need to source hub rings to fill in the gap.

2013 GTI Wheel

57.1mm hub, backspace from 49 to 54 (but actually shows one of the options is a 16x6.5 wheel with a 50 backspace, important for below)

2007 Golf Wheel

57.1mm hub, backspace between 47 and 54 depending on width but look at that, there's that same 16x6.5 with a 50 backspace. Score LOL

On the back of the wheel there should be stamped the width and backspace to confirm but all the OEM sizes are pretty similar to those on the GTI so shouldn't be a problem.

Step2: If there were vastly different you would want to plug the specs into that willtheyfit site I posted and it will show you a visual representation as well on where the wheel and tire will sit compared to panel edge and suspension.

Step 3: Profit

Ok, thanks. I think I have a better understanding how to go about it now.

A few more questions:

Did you assume the rims I am considering buying are 6.5” wide? Going by the information on Wheel-Size.com they could also be 6” wide.

Is the information on Wheel-Size.com reliable? It seems to be an unofficial source.

If I had the VAG part number for these rims, is there an official VW website where I can get all the dimensional details?

In fact I think I found the part number by poking around on the internet. Just using the diameter and appearance they seem to be the same as these:
https://www.nettivaraosa.com/en/vanteet/2558984