GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by Fyodor Dostoevsky

1. F

Replacing Original Tires on MK6 GTI

Can you suggest a good quality brand that is also low cost?
  2. F

Replacing Original Tires on MK6 GTI

I still have the original tires on my 2013 GTI. They are now more than 10 years old and according to all advice I’ve read they should be replaced. I like keeping everything the same on my cars, for the most part. So I figure I’ll get the same brand and model of tires that were supplied with MK6...
  3. F

How to Know if Rims Will Fit My GTI

Ok, thanks. I think I have a better understanding how to go about it now. A few more questions: Did you assume the rims I am considering buying are 6.5” wide? Going by the information on Wheel-Size.com they could also be 6” wide. Is the information on Wheel-Size.com reliable? It seems to be...
  4. F

I have my eye on some used 16" VW aluminium rims. Here is a photo: Apparently they are from a 2007 Rabbit/Golf. How do I determine if they will fit my 2013 GTI?
  5. F

Thanks for the info. I'm planning to get these rims for use with winter tires. So I'm not looking for anything fancy, and probably 16" diameter. I decided to go with aluminum because it doesn't rust. At the moment I'm looking for original VW rims for Golfs. One set that I have my eye on are...
  6. F

I've been looking around for a used set of aluminum rims for my 2013 GTI. (My preference would be to buy a set made by VW.) However, I don't know how to check if a given set of rims will fit on my GTI. What parameters do I need to check to be certain that a set of rims will fit on my GTI?
  7. F

Are VW Steel Rims Better Than Others

$119/each + GST. So $476 + GST for four. Canadian dollars, by the way.
  8. F

Ya, it probably isn't worth the effort to try and get the paint specs. I'm thinking I'll just get the VW steel rims since they should be good quality, and leave it at that. Good point about alloy rims though, no rust concerns.
  9. F

Thanks. Basically maintain the paint like you should on the car body, and wax them. I suppose when shopping around a key thing to look for is a good paint job, primed, hard paint like powder coated epoxy, and good film thicknesses. I'll bet the paint specifications are known by the rim...
  10. F

I'm shopping around for a set of steel rims to put winter tires on. Is there any reason to buy VAG branded steel rims? For example are they lighter or less likely to rust?
  11. F

Where to Get Air Conditioning Fixed?

My 2013 GTI, has a slow leak in the air conditioning system. It loses all the refrigerant after about 18 months. Three times I have brought it to a dealer to have it recharged. Each time they put fluorescent dye in the system to help locate where the leak is, but they have been unsuccessful in...
  12. F

Where to Clamp Negative Jumper Cable

Hmmm ... perhaps if one jaw of the cable clamp can make contact with the bolt on those hooks it would be a good spot. You'd have to take the plastic cover off the engine though, and if you do that there are actually several spots to clamp directly to the block.
  13. F

Where to Clamp Negative Jumper Cable

From what I understand dead batteries can release hydrogen gas which is the most easily combustible gas in existence. So I like to follow the procedure and not assume that I know better that the person that wrote it. But I agree there doesn't seem to be much risk, and I have also connected...