GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by PhthaloType

1. PhthaloType

Got warranty letter from VW today

It's not a "recall", it's an extended warranty on a specific part. Thread title is mis-worded.
  2. PhthaloType

Let's see your PC's

After a semi-regular cleaning
  3. PhthaloType

Picture request - Golf GTI with Golf R Grill

I never realized the base Golf grill swap was so popular... "OEM-minus?" ;)
  4. PhthaloType

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

I've seen in old message board threads where people had LED tail lights that were more "U.S. style", i.e., two reverse lights instead of having a rear fog light. Also, back then they mostly had conventional turn signals. Nowadays every VLAND set available is Euro-style with sequential turn...
  5. PhthaloType

What did you do to your MK6 today?

I put some Noico sound deadening in the trunk area the other day. I know it looks pretty haphazard, but I was using up the leftovers from doing the hood a while back. I also stuck some additional insulation in the hatch door, since I had some material laying around that looked almost exactly...
  6. PhthaloType

Fishbowl delete! 35% front, 18% rear and back. The old tint had been peeling and wrinkling and was just embarrassing, so I removed it to get it redone before it starts getting hot this year. Tax return, stimulus payment, and deployment money all came in around the same time, so maybe I'll do...
  7. PhthaloType

I see your Eagle and raise you a Blackbird!
  8. PhthaloType

I have a similar looking situation, but I think in my case it it's actually coming from the valve cover gasket (yes I know that's not technically what it's called), and running down past the tensioner. I'd check for that before doing anything. I was just relieved it wasn't a turbo oil line fitting.
  9. PhthaloType

When the wiper delete people realize they made a mistake.
  10. PhthaloType

Resonator

The fabrication shop I went to gave it the "S" curve and even a rod to replace the exhaust hangar. $100. This is why it annoys me when people say "just throw in a straight pipe!" It's not that simple.
  11. PhthaloType

VCDS vs OBD 11

I like my OBDeleven, but I also hate that business/support model. I do have a pro license, but with the next gen module out, I have this fear in the back of my mind they'll stop supporting the "classic" version at some point, and I'll have a bricked piece of hardware that's perfectly good and...
  12. PhthaloType

Random forum(s) observation

VWVortex was the go-to forum for my previous VWs. When I started looking into the GTI to replace my Passat though, I found there was barely any activity for that model. This place is the most solid community I've found for the Mk6. I'm on Reddit's GTI sub, but it's like 90% Mk7, and it's mostly...
  13. PhthaloType

New RCD330 Plus Headunit with Mirrorlink/Carplay

IIRC, it can only be updated from a USB drive, and I think it's picky with the format, too. I wanna say it has to be FAT or FAT32 as opposed to NTFS or anything else. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...
  14. PhthaloType

Is there a legit way to replace the plastic covers on my xenon headlights?

That's the deal with mine, too. They look decent but they're far from perfect, and those micro cracks in the plastic are still visible if the sun shines on them just right. It's the best I could hope for without spending tons of money for replacements (bi-xenon, too), so it's gonna have to be...