GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by zrickety

1. zrickety

I'm done with ECS

@uglybastard can say COVID is to blame, and I can't say anything? Ok got it. ECS says they are 'shipping 6 days a week' but in stock items still take 10 days? Their customer service reps told me twice last week that my order was 'shipping tomorrow.' I can deal with the delays, but don't try to...
  2. zrickety

I'm done with ECS

COVID is a Plandemic the Democrats are using to tank a record economy and institute tyranny. Change my mind.
  3. zrickety

I'm done with ECS

I have received parts in plastic with just a sticker...you don't really know what's what when there's no box. But the parts have held up so far. That said, after many orders and many years ECS let me down last week. 10 days to ship an order where everything was 'in stock.' Has completely put my...
  4. zrickety

What did you do to your MK6 today?

The aluminum ECS radiator is looking pretty good now...
  5. zrickety

Re-acuring Check Engine light problem

That's by far the worst build up I have seen. What are your regular driving habits? Do you hyper-mile, trying to save gas? Short trips? These cars need to be driven hard or you'll be back for more walnut blasting. They did a great job btw.
  6. zrickety

Rebuilding a 2.0 TSI after timing failure *ON A BUDGET*

It's deja vu. I've pulled the head on the Mini because of low compression. It was clearly overheated, despite what the seller told me. Melted under the valve cover, bad head gasket. It was running but had a bad water leak. Like VW, they use plastic pipes for cooling and the one to the water pump...
  7. zrickety

Android Head Units (Joying, '13 Golf R)

Yes, the last one I linked to was completely plug and play. Harness needed nothing, steering wheel controls are built into the unit. I did have to trim a bit on the top corners to clear the MKV bezel but this was a minor hiccup.
  8. zrickety

Looks good. Mine has the SMA connectors for the GPS and Wifi. Also built in powered antenna which is nice. Wife was asking how can she get better reception in her Honda Pilot...she was that impressed.
  9. zrickety

FS: UB unibrace

SOLD
  10. zrickety

Timing chain life expectancy

I think it comes down to oil quality and how frequently you do changes. For example, I rebuilt one with tensioner failure at 173k that I know was well maintained...the old chain and new chain were the same length, no noticeable stretch like the picture above. But, if you're going in there to do...
  11. zrickety

Here you go. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-9-0-For-VW-Golf-MK5-9-Car-Head-Unit-Stereo-SatNav-GPS-DAB-2GB-32GB-Map/274215171629?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 Listing used to have a picture of the back. Description still says Wifi connector.
  12. zrickety

Yeah, heat wrap is a great idea on the intake and the throttle pipe...
  13. zrickety

I have the open fog grille on that side...I know it's only a MK5 feature. Pumps cool air up there. Also that's away from the radiator, so really all you need is a small divider left of filter. The K&N box flows great, but the piping is actually a touch smaller than the MAF.