GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Performance Monitor Missing on 2019 R

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I picked up a 2019 Golf R on Monday, and performance monitor was not there. I asked the dealer to look into it, and the service writer, service manager, tech, and sales guy were all unable to figure it out. The sales guy contacted a friend who works for VW America and does dealer training for more info. The sales trainer had not heard that the feature was not available, but he got in a car and played with the systems to see if he could find a way to activate the performance monitor. He called back and told my sales guy that he could not find a way to activate the feature and that they must have discontinued the performance monitor. That's still not as conclusive as hearing from someone who actually knows what the deal is, but it's a little more than we've been able to figure out so far.
It requires a custom download from VW.

S'more 07

Just getting started
Car(s)
MKVII Stage 2
The performance monitor is an active recall with VW. The dealer will install it free of charge. However, it takes 5-6 hours to do!

ztorc

Go Kart Newbie
The performance monitor is an active recall with VW. The dealer will install it free of charge. However, it takes 5-6 hours to do!

The dealer probably is using a dial up modem to connect to VW server for the update.

CharT99

I think I have this feature in my 2019. I leave the boost gauge, G-meter and oil temp as the default screen but I’ll be the first to admit that it’s pretty much useless. The oil temp is the only thing useful but it’s also available in the dash display. The boost gauge is in absolute pressure and shows vacuum in PSI. Both boost and g-meter don’t have peak-hold function and you’re never going to be staring at the gauges while driving through a corner. I guess it’s for showing off to your passenger - OMG! 40 PSI BOOOST!!!

Mikejt1954

Passed Driver's Ed
With my new 2019 Golf R only weeks away I have been seeing many new owners complaining that the Performance Monitor is MIA on their newly delivered Rs.

Now before anyone roasts me keep in mind that this will not change anything for me as this was not exactly a purchase factor. I am also well aware of the accuracy of these digital gauges. Putting that aside it is a feature that has been included in all the Golf R sales materials and other documents.

My question is for 2019 R owners, did you have the Performance Monitor when you took delivery and if not has your local VW dealership done anything to fix the missing feature or update you on the status?

There is also a debate online whether this is something only a VW Service Department could add or could it be added via OBDeleven? Any feedback would be appreciated.
I was going to have it installed when they were replacing all four grab handles, but the non-service manager said it could take over 2 hours.
PS, have your grab handles replaced before you take delivery of the car and save yourself the hassle.

Johnemacc

I work in a dealer, the PM is now a recall software update but we have to get activation codes from techline help. Everytime ive done it techline got back to me within 30 mins tops and the update takes about 10-15 mins.

i have 19 R myself and tried everything to get it to work prior to the recall. I noticed 1 R that i did the PDI on had the PM and it stated it on the window sticker, double checked my window sticker and it didnt say it was equipped.