GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ED's replica 7.5 GTI headlights..long term?

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
I have had a few people tell me that these headlights werent all that great as they sound. Im considering a 2019 S and the headlights would HAVE to be upgraded for me to consider one (I live in the woods and drive on a lot of unlit backroads - I upgraded my Fiesta ST headlights to the Euro projector halogen lights and they are worlds better than the stock reflectors).

I read that they are "bouncy" but this is IMO normal if you have a sharp cutoff.. anyways I am used to this on my current car so it doesnt bother me what so ever.

How are these working out long term? Ive never heard anything bad about morimoto HIDs which is what these use or what you can order with them. Id go HID with them for sure.

Do they haze over? fog up? die quickly?

Whatnxt1

I've had ED's installed on my '17 GSW 4Motion for two months shy of three years with no issues, in the PNW. Car is kept in the garage and the lights are kept clean and waxed regularly. My brother however, had one get condensation in it within a year. His other light is fine. Appears to be a poor seal between the light and housing. Removed, dried, and resealed and it is fine.

Correct, the "bounce" is normal for sharp cut-off lights.

cblock406

Ready to race!
I mentioned this in your other thread but maybe you didn't see it. Osram confirmed with me they are coming out with a Mk7.5 headlight sometime in 2020. Google mk7 Osram if you want to learn about their Mk7 lights.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
I mentioned this in your other thread but maybe you didn't see it. Osram confirmed with me they are coming out with a Mk7.5 headlight sometime in 2020. Google mk7 Osram if you want to learn about their Mk7 lights.
Yeah this would be a solid option I suppose. Sounds like the other lights are just hit or miss, some love them and some hate them.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion

I like those better than the factory lighting package housings. Actually, I prefer the appearance of the base model halogens I have in my own 7.5 to the LP units.

The illuminated raised parts look cool on these, as I don't really like the red ones on the factory units.

Still not a fan of LED headlamps, but that's just me.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
I like those better than the factory lighting package housings. Actually, I prefer the appearance of the base model halogens I have in my own 7.5 to the LP units.

The illuminated raised parts look cool on these, as I don't really like the red ones on the factory units.

Still not a fan of LED headlamps, but that's just me.

Are the lights that come on the SE models not that good stock?

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Are the lights that come on the SE models not that good stock?

I don't know. I've got an S with no lighting options whatsoever. I like the aesthetic.

As for LED headlamps, they just bother my eyes. I have all my windshields tinted to prevent others from blinding me as badly.

It's like a damned arms race out there to produce the most irritating headlamps.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
I don't know. I've got an S with no lighting options whatsoever. I like the aesthetic.

As for LED headlamps, they just bother my eyes. I have all my windshields tinted to prevent others from blinding me as badly.

It's like a damned arms race out there to produce the most irritating headlamps.

The issue is not brightness - it's aiming and alignment of the beams. Not to mention archaic lighting regulations that don't allow us to have new tech like Matrix LED lighting, etc.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
The issue is not brightness - it's aiming and alignment of the beams. Not to mention archaic lighting regulations that don't allow us to have new tech like Matrix LED lighting, etc.

They irritate me specifically. It's not really anything to do with light output; that's regulated, anyway. Good tint is designed to cut out the bothersome frequencies in daylight, and it works just as well for me at night.

It's certainly true that the beam patterns and aim is a problem, but that's a problem on normal HID projectors, as well.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I've had mine for almost 2 years now with Morimoto Elite HIDs. No issues. My only complaint is the manufacturer could have done a better job preventing light from leaking from the outer edge that meets the fender where the reflector is.

Since the version I have, they seem to have dynamic turn signals instead of static like mine and I noticed some don't have a side reflector at all. They red stripe is also now a physical piece of plastic like OE lights and not painted on like mine. Light still appears to be leaking from the edge.

Cut off is very sharp and they do bounce a bit (it is expected). Since there's no level sensor I had to adjust them to be a little lower so I don't get high beamed anymore. Overall I'm very happy coming from halogens.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Here's a clip. Excuse the cold motor, bonus racoon and pothole.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
Interesting. Well I wont feel so bad if I get an S instead of the SE. At least the options arent terrible - get Ed's or wait on the OSRAM lights.

Thanks!

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
I’ve got Ed’s R style on my Alltrack. They are bouncy but I do have MSS springs and the roads here are total crap!? They are wicked bright, way better than factory on my S