GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Longer drives GTI is jerking/jolting

h2001

Hey guys!

Bought my 3 door MK6 GTI about 3-4 weeks ago and man I enjoy it a ton. Although it came with a slight issue...

The first few hours of owning it I noticed this odd jolting feeling when I put my foot down and I hit 60-70km/hr but didn't think too much of it and that it might've been normal. Later that day I took it for a mountain cruise with my mates and again I experienced that jolt but a bit worse. About 20 minutes through the cruise I got a "transmission overheated, please cool down immediately" warning on the MFD (NO CEL). Pulled over let it cool down and called up the dealer I bought it from and they said that they'll scan it for me the next day. Drove home like a granny and it was smooth as. The next day it was scanned (with a snap-on), no error codes at all. VW updated the transmission firmware and the dealership guy that took it said that I was probably just driving it a bit too hard (I was driving in sport a lot that day), and that I should use the paddles to shift when in sport, and otherwise just keep it in Drive. Fast forward a week and it didn't once play up, shifts were smooth all the time... I could put my foot down without hesitation... the power was all there. I thought the software update must've fixed it. A few days later it came back, and at this point, I noticed it happens when I'm driving for 30-40 min +. This time it was bad. I took off and it was like it shuttered hard and felt like I was going to stall (No CEL). Kept driving and every 5 or so min I was feeling a slight shutter and that something was definitely not right. At one point I lost power and my throttle was unresponsive, so I pulled over turned my engine on and off and it was fine again. Later on it was still doing the same thing and this time I got a solid CEL come on. Again pulled over, rang the guy back up and he said he'll scan it again now that there's a code. Was about 30 min away from home and it drove back home smoothly by driving very cautiously. Fast forward to today and I went with the guy to get it scanned. The CEL was now gone. The only error code showing on the scan tool was a "fuel train error" or something. However, no transmission faults, nothing. The dealership guy advised that I get the DSG serviced as that hadn't been done in 62000 kms, got that done and the mechanic that did it also scanned it and said there were no fault codes whatsoever. Got about 5 minutes from home where I again experienced the same jolt/hesitation feeling in the acceleration (I had been driving for about 40 min). Once it started once, my car was even struggling to get up hills. I'd put my foot down but I'd just get no power and I'd be stuck in 2nd gear without it wanting to shift, and I'd have to pull over then take off again where the power would miraculously be there again. No CEL here but something weird was definitely happening. The really odd thing that is getting me confused is why it's happening randomly. Most of the time the DSG shifts will be crisp as and all the power is there, however, I've seemed to sort of narrow it down to it being when the cars getting hot. So that brings me to where do I even go next? I've seen heaps of people have bad coils and that's fixed this similar issue, although I would have gotten misfires logged and the scanner would have picked this up. Service history shows spark plugs were replaced 4k kms ago so I highly doubt they're cooked already. Could it possibly be something fuel pump related if the only error code was for the fuel train? No clue how the hell I am supposed to fix the issue without even knowing what's even wrong with it!!

Thanks,
I would really appreciate if you guys could suggest some advice!

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
take it to a Volkswagen dealer, not your local mechanic. Thats my first advice.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
The car needs to be scanned with VAGCOM. Your mechanic doesnt have the capability to even see the fault codes.

Tsi_God

Go Kart Newbie
Sounds like a mechatronics problem. Heat eats the unit up quickly. I would definitely recommend taking it to a VW dealership. What’s the mileage on your vehicle?

h2001

Sounds like a mechatronics problem. Heat eats the unit up quickly. I would definitely recommend taking it to a VW dealership. What’s the mileage on your vehicle?
Hmm I really hope its not that. At 117000 kms. I've got warranty up to 3k AUD on the DSG will this be enough for the mechatronics if it is that?

Last edited:

Tsi_God

Go Kart Newbie
Interesting seems a little early for it to go if it is that. But all depending how the previous owner treated it, it’s possible. All shifting characteristics have to do with the mech unit.

h2001

Interesting seems a little early for it to go if it is that. But all depending how the previous owner treated it, it’s possible. All shifting characteristics have to do with the mech unit.
The thing is it shifts so smooth 95% of the time. It’s only when it’s been driven for 30-40 min when it gets weird. I’m not even sure if it’s the shifting causing the weird jerking because I’m losing power too... I put my foot down and I get no response. Previous owner treated it very well and didn’t miss a service.

zrickety

The Fixer
Losing power seems like a red flag...not the DSG. Even though the plugs were just done, I would look at them. Possible a gap closed up or they might be loose. Anything is possible. Since the car is new to you, consider fuel filter, air filter, check the coolant, etc. Assume the worst and hope for the best. A DSG adaptation is a good idea, don't assume the dealer did it with it the fluid. You'll need a friend with VCDS or buy the cable yourself, worth it's weight in gold.

h2001

Losing power seems like a red flag...not the DSG. Even though the plugs were just done, I would look at them. Possible a gap closed up or they might be loose. Anything is possible. Since the car is new to you, consider fuel filter, air filter, check the coolant, etc. Assume the worst and hope for the best. A DSG adaptation is a good idea, don't assume the dealer did it with it the fluid. You'll need a friend with VCDS or buy the cable yourself, worth it's weight in gold.
Cheers mate. Like I said I have no idea how it can be anything related to the DSG, I've just driven it today for a 15 min trip and it was absolutely perfect (flooring it and what not). I'll start with an R8 coilpack and new plugs, then go to fuel related stuff.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
You arent listening. He told you the same thing I did. The car needs to be scanned with vagcom to find the faults. If you just want to be stupid and throw money at it until it goes away then why not start by replacing the entire DSG transmission? Then if that doesnt work, change the shifter inside the car. Then if that doesnt work change the steering wheel! Who knows what might fix it, thats the fun of not scanning the car properly!

h2001

You arent listening. He told you the same thing I did. The car needs to be scanned with vagcom to find the faults. If you just want to be stupid and throw money at it until it goes away then why not start by replacing the entire DSG transmission? Then if that doesnt work, change the shifter inside the car. Then if that doesnt work change the steering wheel! Who knows what might fix it, thats the fun of not scanning the car properly!

Yeah I see mate. If I take it to VW will they be able to tell me exactly whats wrong with it? Am I better off buying a VAGCOM myself and getting it as VW will probablt charge close to the same price.

Also it was scanned twice, first time with a snap on then the second time with some $7k euro mechanics scanner and no faults were found, will VAGCOM be different?

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Yeah vagcom will be different smart ass. I dont even know why im trying to help your argumentative self at this point.

Good luck with the repairs :rolleyes:

Tsi_God

Go Kart Newbie
I think it would be a good idea to get a vagcom. Thinking about it now, loss of power is definitely not a dsg issue. It could be as easy as spark plugs. I would invest in a vagcom and take a look at the spark plugs. Some pictures perhaps? Good luck man!