GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bulb Brand Help?

dasAuto20

I couldn't find an existing thread and the search function was being weird...

What's a good brand for headlights? I'm sticking with halogens for now. I know the headlights are H7s for the 2013 edition.

I am having trouble deciding between Phillips, Sylania and others. Also, what level?

Someone recommended the Sylvania Silverstars but reviews say they don't last long.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Generally the brighter the bulb the shorter time it will last. It's a trade off. I have had the Silverstars and they were excellent but did go bad in about a year. The cost to light output ratio was worth it to me since I drive at night everyday. Both Phillips and Sylvania make good bulbs IMO.

dasAuto20

Thanks! That makes sense. I don't drive at night much so I might slide by with the Xtravision.

Do you know what the OEM bulbs are?

I don't want them to be mismatched if one goes out...or maybe I just replace both.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Thanks! That makes sense. I don't drive at night much so I might slide by with the Xtravision.

Do you know what the OEM bulbs are?

I don't want them to be mismatched if one goes out...or maybe I just replace both.
Always replace bulbs in pairs. It doesn't make much sense to replace one, since the other is probably going to go bad sooner rather than later. Plus you already have whatever tools you need, and are already going to the parts store. You don't want to light output/color/pattern to be different either. Replacing bulbs in pairs should be your standard going forward, that includes brake lights, high beams, turn signals, etc. anytime a light has a matching bulb, replace both.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I changed my headlight bulbs & fog bulbs out on my GTI 5 years ago. So far I've not had to change any. If I have one burn out I'll pop one of the originals back in until I can buy a replacement. If one burns out buy a pair as the other is the same age & will likely burn out soon.

I switched my DRLs to use the fog lights. My reasoning being the fogs are easy to change while those H15 high beam / DLR bubs are a royal pain to change.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
VagCom, OBD11 or Carista.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Carista does and OBD11 now has apple support but not sure if they are ready yet.

I have a Carista just sitting around I can send you if you send a few bucks for shipping. If you sign up for it you get 30 days free to make adjustments. I bought an android phone and OBD11 so I don’t need it anymore.

Vagcom is laptop based.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Also, always use gloves when installing bulbs. A bit of oil from your fingers can create hot spots on the glass, leading to premature failure. At a minimum, wipe them down with a clean cloth after you install them, if you don't have gloves. I've had my GTI for about 4 years, and the same bulbs are still in it, a decent bulb should last you several years if they are installed properly.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Nope no limit and it’s not VIN specific.