GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
It's a large bolt. Like m10 or bigger. I'm thinking it must be more than 10 Nm.

Edit. Looked through Elsawin and actually can't find a torque for the bolt on the belt tensioner. Frustrating.

Last edited:

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Does the steering lock normally unlock when you just get in the car? Probably just tripping after changing codings. My MB brain tells me it does that when you turn the ignition on.

torga

Autocross Champion

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Preparing to do my DP over the holiday weekend. I know that it's highly, highly recommended to apply PBBlaster/similar to the flange bolts ahead of time. Watched some install vids and it's not entirely clear how to get to them, though. Is it possible to apply while the car is still on the ground, with the intake still on? Or do I need to fully remove the intake and/or lift the car in order to get at the bolts?

torga

Autocross Champion
Preparing to do my DP over the holiday weekend. I know that it's highly, highly recommended to apply PBBlaster/similar to the flange bolts ahead of time. Watched some install vids and it's not entirely clear how to get to them, though. Is it possible to apply while the car is still on the ground, with the intake still on? Or do I need to fully remove the intake and/or lift the car in order to get at the bolts?
You should be able to get the top two by removing the intake pipe, but you'll need access under the car for the bottom two.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
You really need to get under the car to get all of them. Honestly, I've installed dp's for a ton of cars in Chicago. Jack the car up, spray em all with a healthy dose of PB, let that sit while you're taking the intake and everything off, then hit them again with PB right before you go at them and you'll be fine. I've never broken a stud doing it that way.

GolNat

Autocross Champion

Get yourself one of these if you don't have any long wrenches. I had trouble getting one of my bolts off and needed an extra long wrench to have enough torque. The stud came out with the nut but it came off. It has now become one of my favorite tools.

https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-38-in-drive-long-reach-dual-flex-head-ratchet-67994.html