GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hoon's DIYish Engine Build Thread

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I didn't say people are stupid in PA. I'm saying that I have more experience in this just like the tire shop knows more about mounting tires than I do. But I guess you didn't catch that. Hoon has caught it and has family that work in the field and what he described is what I've seen in pretty much every case. I would imagine he has researched the shit out of Covid 19 once he found he has it, as that's what everyone does when they find out.

If you've got it all figured out, then you've got it all figured out.

Get better homie! Can't wait for the engine built to continue.

I'm not in PA, I am a PA. And again, how are you seeing when patients were exposed and seeing at what point they are infectious.

It's a straight forward question.

I'd guess what you're seeing is anecdotal evidence, based on patients severe enough to be hospitalized. You know better than that.

From the CDC. Basically, we don't know.

The onset and duration of viral shedding and the period of infectiousness for COVID-19 are not yet known. It is possible that SARS-CoV-2 RNA may be detectable in the upper or lower respiratory tract for weeks after illness onset, similar to infections with MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV. However, detection of viral RNA does not necessarily mean that infectious virus is present. There are reports of asymptomatic infections (detection of virus with no development of symptoms) and pre-symptomatic infections (detection of virus prior to development of symptoms) with SARS-CoV-2, but their role in transmission is not yet known. Based on existing literature, the incubation period (the time from exposure to development of symptoms) of SARS-CoV-2 and other coronaviruses (e.g. MERS-CoV, SARS-CoV) ranges from 2–14 days.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I won't be PMing you, because you don't actually have information beyond your anecdotal experience with a small subset of patients, but please do send your meticulous research to the CDC. They seem to be less informed than you on determining when patients become infectious.

Navi

Autocross Champion
I won't be PMing you, because you don't actually have information beyond your anecdotal experience with a small subset of patients, but please do send your meticulous research to the CDC. They seem to be less informed than you on determining when patients become infectious.

oh god, this is why doctors hate PA's. I was trying to be nice before. But you guys are glorified nurses and think you know it all because you are doing all the patient clinical work while the doctor is in the office on the computer. There's a reason for that. I trust nurses way more than PA's. Just like there are hierarchies in any field of profession. Why is it that your schooling and training is less? Why is it that you guys do not "have" to specialize? I have many PA friends and they all have the same mentality as you. You should know medicine is evidence based. I'm sure they taught you that in PA school. I was just agreeing with Hoon and saying that is what I've seen in the hospital. If you want to regurgitate what you read on the internet like patients do that's cool, but the only thing you were right on is that this is a new virus and we are learning everyday and I stated what I have learned from dealing with it day in and day out the past 3-4 weeks. (As well what all the other doctors have been seeing) Just like we've seen young patients with no comorbidities or underlying conditions die left and right from this disease. But I guess since it's not in the news or CDC then it's not true. I'll add you to my block list since it's obvious there's nothing I can learn from you (car or medical wise). Thanks.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So again how are you "seeing" when people become infectious. Is it some special doctor vision? And anecdotal observation is the exact opposite of evidence based medicine.

I'll be sure to let the 1000+ trauma patients I treated in Iraq know that I'm a glorified nurse.

I question your character that you have to attack me personally because you can't answer how you're seeing when people become infectious. I'll just assume you're tired and stressed out due to working in such extreme conditions, I've been there, and can relate. Stay safe and thank you for caring for so many people at great risk to your own health.

And BTW, I don't like most PA's either. They've opened the programs up to college kids straight out of high school, when the program was actually intended for military medics and corpsmen with experience.

Last edited:

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
quoted for truth. 14 days is worse case. You usually know way sooner.
I took this statement to mean that you “know way sooner” than 14 days that you are infected and begin to have symptoms.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I have the stuff from the machine shop, my buddy dropped it off.

Unfortunately it's low on the priority list right now. My dad is hospitalized with covid and it's not going well at all. He's on oxygen, 2 IV antibiotics, and a couple of experimental drugs. Still declining at this point, hopefully he doesn't end up on a ventilator.

I'm fine, still dealing with some lingering symptoms but minor enough that they aren't a big deal.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech

Unfortunately it's low on the priority list right now. My dad is hospitalized with covid and it's not going well at all. He's on oxygen, 2 IV antibiotics, and a couple of experimental drugs. Still declining at this point, hopefully he doesn't end up on a ventilator.

I'm fine, still dealing with some lingering symptoms but minor enough that they aren't a big deal.
My thoughts are with you and your family.

Navi

Autocross Champion

sorry to hear. My uncle has it as well. Just got a call that they want to take him off the vent cause the docs don't think he will recover. Quality of care has declined also because of the volume of patients and physician burn out. It's just a sad state of affairs all around. I'll pray for you and the fam.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt

So sorry to hear that Hoon 😓

My sincerest thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family through this difficult time.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Do you have a source? CDC has no data on when you're contagious and a small German study says patients maybe contagious almost the entire incubation period. There just isn't enough information, so you have to assume you were contagious.

I hope you're feeling better. Hang in there.

Any idea as to why the death rate in Germany is by far the lowest percentage wise?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hoon I'm sorry about your dad. I'm glad that you're doing okay.

With respect to the doctors, PA's, nurses and all health care workers you're all heroes. ❤