GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FIRST FEW MODS ON MY MK6 GTi

youiii

Hey everyone. Im intrested in starting to mod my GTi. Currently i just have a resonator delete. Im looking at installing a REVO Intake along with going REVO stage 1.
I wanna get a bit more sound that isn't so raspy if that makes sense. Was looking at going for a Cobra non-resonated Catback but wasn't too sure. IDK about DP'S and what difference they'll make or whether to just go for a catback straight away. Any suggestions? Does this sound like an alright setup to begin with?

Last edited:

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Dp with no resonator will have some rasp. If you add a dp you can just go straight to stage 2.

Are you DSG or manual? If manual budget for a clutch.

Also make sure your timing chain tensioner is up to date.

youiii

Dp with no resonator will have some rasp. If you add a dp you can just go straight to stage 2.

Are you DSG or manual? If manual budget for a clutch.

Also make sure your timing chain tensioner is up to date.

I have a DSG. But im not looking to go stage 2 just stage 1 for now. But whats the DP gonna do for me? Dont want more rasp than i already have. Would a catback make some difference compared to just a resonator delete

GolNat

Autocross Champion
The dp will make the car louder but if you don’t want to go Stage 2 then don’t put one on. A good cat back will sound more refined then the resonator delete. Doesn’t add power just changes the sound. It will only get so loud with the stock dp and cat.

youiii

Yeah thats what i was thinking. Cause if i was to go for a full turbo back it would be crazy loud aye?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
It really depends on what turbo back you get. Adding the dp is what is needed for Stage 2 so if you change that you will basically be Stage 2 without software. Some exhausts are louder then others just depends. The APR and Borla are 2 of my favs.

Yes you can always get a cat back now and add the dp later.

youiii

It really depends on what turbo back you get. Adding the dp is what is needed for Stage 2 so if you change that you will basically be Stage 2 without software. Some exhausts are louder then others just depends. The APR and Borla are 2 of my favs.

Yes you can always get a cat back now and add the dp later.

Im looking at getting the cobra turbo back but was tossing up between that or a catback. Not cheap i tell ya.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
If literally all you want is more sound than just straight pipe it.

SJC

Ready to race!
I would go a different route.
Replace the down pipe with a 3” cat equipped aftermarket performance piece.
Smog legal and the car will sound wonderful with the stock catback and a stage 1 tune.
Unitronic is a good choice.
Having the downpipe is readiness for your eventual graduation to stage 2.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
I like good, smooth power and no loud noises! I went with Unitronic 1+.

Love it. Easy to do from home.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I would go a different route.
Replace the down pipe with a 3” cat equipped aftermarket performance piece.
Smog legal and the car will sound wonderful with the stock catback and a stage 1 tune.
Unitronic is a good choice.
Having the downpipe is readiness for your eventual graduation to stage 2.

Smog legal is not really accurate considering every state and country has their own emissions laws. Any aftermarket down-pipe even with a cat in California is an automatic fail due to the visual component of the inspection.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
If you don't mind keeping the small tips of the stock exhaust and want a respectable increase in noise, I recommend just the DP. If you can go catless, even better. It adds plenty more umph when you hit the gas and really get on it, but maintains a quieter idle (better for the neighbors), and keeps the car more subtle. You could technically be stage 2 while only going DP and keeping the back looking stock giving the appearance your just a little slow ecobox while having a respectable punch.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I agree with snailpower.

Stage 1 with resonator delete for keeping it stealth not disturbing the neighbors.
Stage 2 with dp and stock resonated cat back to keep it stealth not disturbing the neighbors.

I got different tips welded on to match the added noise but definitely not needed.