GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wing Mirrors

marnie

Ready to race!
Anyone else had their wing mirrors commit suicide? I had two shatter in the last few days, the last one left a pile of glass on the drive while parked.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
mines been hanging on for months since I broke one of the clips on the back of the glass when installing mirror caps. I'm almost positive (given what details we have about this) that someone is vandalizing them. Theres no way in hell they would just break randomly.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Wing mirrors = side mirrors?

If so, has never happened to me on any of my cars. If parked on the streets, probably vandalized.
Yes, in the UK, the external door-mounted rear view mirrors (or side mirrors) are often referred to - incorrectly IMO - as wing mirrors.

The term wing mirrors in the UK harks back to the time when external rear view mirrors used to be mounted on the front wings of the car (or fenders, as you guys in the US call them ), and these haven’t been fitted to cars in the UK since the 1970’s / 1980’s. Most people in the UK still refer to door mirrors (side mirrors) as wing mirrors though.

Back to the OP’s post - there've been quite a few instances reported on another VW Golf forum (either golfgtiforum.co.uk or vwroc.com; can’t remember which) of the door mirror glass becoming detached from the backing plate inside the door mirror housing and falling out - sometimes while the car is being driven. Seems that the adhesive used to hold the glass in place weakens over time, especially if the door mirror heating function is left switched on.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
You don't say the age of your car, but this is pretty common issue where the adhesive on back of glass fails over time and they fall off. New ones have better adhesive.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Mine came unstuck from the backing and luckily didn't drop out, a thin layer of fishtank silicone cured it and had no problems ever since.

flogR

Ready to race!
I guess the blind-spot-light has black plastic i.e. light-absorbing, behind it. I am thinking of painting the plastic behind the light white to make the monitor brighter.

Has anyone seen the actual light itself and behind it, e.g. when the glass mirror became unstuck from the black plastic part & fell off? If you have, do you think it feasible to whiten behind the light? I wouldn't detach the glass from the plastic but would open up the plastic just behind the light for access

BTW I have whitened the black plastic behind the CABIN light (up by the rear-view mirror) & it worked well.

flogR

Ready to race!
It has just occurred to me that the "bulb" will be a thin flat rectangle with several points that light up, all attached to an aluminium plate & the plate is a reflector.
SIGH! Back to the drawing board.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
is there someone else having an issue with side mirror(s) shaking violently? i mean, they are not broken or anything, but they seem to shake due to wind/ bad road etc. why it could be from? doesn't have any signs of being ever hit
The adhesive holding the glass to the plastic backing plate is about to fail. Get a new mirror on order.

flogR

Ready to race!
It's easy to attach the glass back on the plastic backing. Tilt the mirror down as far as possible, protect the top with folded tissues, put fingers or trim removal tool behind the centre & prise. Fix the glass to the plastic with silicone & allow it to cure. Note the clips on the plastic that attach to the circular motor. Carefully align the clips to it and press evenly on the centre of the glass to attach.
It might be wise to attach some sort of tethering as people have reported either the glass coming off the plastic or the whole lot falling and dangling by the wiring and banging on the bodywork.