GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Failed Thermostat Housing/Coolant Loss Info Gathering

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
It bears repeating at p.19 of this thread that this problem -- i.e., coping with cheap, indifferently manufactured water pumps -- has been a "Volkswagen issue" for the last 45 years. And by no means is this unique to Volkswagens. BMW transformed it into an art form three decades ago when Fritz first turned to Wolfgang and said, "You know, we could make these things out of plastic." The past is prologue, gentlemen. The only thing that's changed in the past 45 years is how long it takes to replace one cheap, indifferently manufactured water pump with another of like kind and quality.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Has anyone found a company anywhere in the world making aluminum housings yet?

Do we know this would fix the issue? Is the actual housing itself warping due to the plastic, or is it the seal? I'd think even if the housing was aluminum, you still have the chance of it leaking at the mating point. I apologize since I feel like we have talked about this before, but I didn't really get a good rundown from the dealer on why it failed, just that it was replaced for free haha.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Do we know this would fix the issue? Is the actual housing itself warping due to the plastic, or is it the seal? I'd think even if the housing was aluminum, you still have the chance of it leaking at the mating point. I apologize since I feel like we have talked about this before, but I didn't really get a good rundown from the dealer on why it failed, just that it was replaced for free haha.

It was stated to me by the service advisor and a tech that the thermostat housing physically warps over time, nullifying the seal.
However, the seal itself is also vulnerable to oil leaking onto it in the event of a leaky oil seal and causing it to fail.

So yeah, I feel an aluminum housing could fix most of the problems for most people.

Last edited:

amsr

Ready to race!
It bears repeating at p.19 of this thread that this problem -- i.e., coping with cheap, indifferently manufactured water pumps -- has been a "Volkswagen issue" for the last 45 years. And by no means is this unique to Volkswagens. BMW transformed it into an art form three decades ago when Fritz first turned to Wolfgang and said, "You know, we could make these things out of plastic." The past is prologue, gentlemen. The only thing that's changed in the past 45 years is how long it takes to replace one cheap, indifferently manufactured water pump with another of like kind and quality.

Yep, my previous car (a 2011 3 series) suffered the same issue. It was well known in BMW circles that their water pumps and thermostats would fail. Audi has the same issue with the A4. Prior to owning German cars, I’d never replaced a single cooling system component.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
^^^ I had an e46 3 series for a while and indeed had to replace thermostat and h20 pump. I remember it being a pretty easy job compared to what I've read on how to do it on the gti.

The e46 also had the failing expansion tank common problem. That also was an easy install.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Got my car back. As usual, they did the pressure test and said there were no issues despite topping off 3 times at a dealer now.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
For the 4 millionth time.....when they "pressure test the system" MAKE them also pressure test the cap!!!
I know but I can't make them, especially not with physically distancing around due to COVID. I even told them how it's most likely related to the thermostat housing.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Is -knowing- the coolant is slowly leaking the problem, or is this causing actual problems with the car?
Well twice it was below the minimum line so I imagine if I was tracking it, it's no good. Of course I should be checking my fluids before I go anyways. This time it was just above minimum so I reckon while acceptable, still no good.