GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
This, but 17x9 et38-43, a little poke is ok, but the goal is arbys, lots of meat. Additionally, I'd be interested in a cast or flow formed, cheap, snow/winter wheel. Hell, if I could find some 17 inch steelies that fit I'd do that. I mean no more than maybe 150 per wheel, as small as possible for some studded snows, but still able to clear at least the Golf R brakes, maybe even the Macan 4 piston swap with mk6 R rotors.

Here ya go- 17" VW steelies. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/winter-tire-thread.328661/page-12 Post 177. I missed this a week after I bought a set of 18" Nokian All-Weather tires to fit my OEM wheels.
I wouldn't count on any kind of decent alloy wheel in the $150 range. I'd be all over them too. A decent quality, lightweight alloy wheel is most likely going to be in the $225-$300 range, unfortunately.

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
You've piqued my interest. I'm looking at getting wheels next year, so I'm probably pretty close to your production timeline. :cool:

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
18 GTI S
Definitely interested in a 17x8 or 17x8.5 option as long they clear golf R brakes, very limited options currently. Comfortable with running a 5mm spacer, but not much more.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Here ya go- 17" VW steelies. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/winter-tire-thread.328661/page-12 Post 177. I missed this a week after I bought a set of 18" Nokian All-Weather tires to fit my OEM wheels.
I wouldn't count on any kind of decent alloy wheel in the $150 range. I'd be all over them too. A decent quality, lightweight alloy wheel is most likely going to be in the $225-$300 range, unfortunately.
I've seen the thread, but haven't seen a verified fitment for 340mm rotors (pp car, lol)

Additionally, VW wants like, 300 a corner for their steelies. That's retarded.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I've seen the thread, but haven't seen a verified fitment for 340mm rotors (pp car, lol)

Additionally, VW wants like, 300 a corner for their steelies. That's retarded.

Are you serious- $300 PER CORNER for steelies? WTF! (I've got a PP car too) They SHOULD clear the 340mm brakes given their comparatively thin construction compared to alloys. No way though at that price!

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Are you serious- $300 PER CORNER for steelies? WTF! (I've got a PP car too) They SHOULD clear the 340mm brakes given their comparatively thin construction compared to alloys. No way though at that price!
Exactly my point. 150-175 a corner for some thin apex wheels, I'd go for it.

fretburnr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I just took the survey!

As a BMW nut for the last 15 years, and still an active member at BMWCCA autocrosses and HPDEs, I've watched Apex grow in parallel to my experience. You guys have offered the wheels to have for a performance-oriented BMW driver, and I've greatly appreciated your no-compromises take on offering fitments that have the correct geometry for performance use first and foremost. I appreciate good styling as much as anyone, and you have it, but the function has to come first.

I use my GTI for the commute as well as HPDEs and autocross with BMWCCA and SCCA. I'm very excited to see you supporting this community as well, and look forward to having some APEX options soon.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I just took the survey!

As a BMW nut for the last 15 years, and still an active member at BMWCCA autocrosses and HPDEs, I've watched Apex grow in parallel to my experience. You guys have offered the wheels to have for a performance-oriented BMW driver, and I've greatly appreciated your no-compromises take on offering fitments that have the correct geometry for performance use first and foremost. I appreciate good styling as much as anyone, and you have it, but the function has to come first.

I use my GTI for the commute as well as HPDEs and autocross with BMWCCA and SCCA. I'm very excited to see you supporting this community as well, and look forward to having some APEX options soon.

Well said.

Function over form!

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
A quick pre-weekend update for you guys and gals:

This week we were able to get some brake scans done for both the stock Golf R caliper and the popular OEM+ upgraded Macan caliper as well. These scans were necessary for us to ensure our 17" wheels will have an ideal amount of clearance between the spokes, barrel, and brake components. Now that our engineering team has this information, we hope to have some more frequent updates for this community as we get close to our official release.

A huge thank you to jmblur as well, for volunteering his gorgeous Golf R for us to scan!

Enjoy!

-Geirsen

BodegaBay

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
...Now that our engineering team has this information, we hope to have some more frequent updates for this community as we get close to our official release.

Very cool. I’m holding off purchasing any new aftermarket wheels to see what Apex will offer. Hopefully 19in sizes.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
17x9 that'll fit the macan brakes? Ok, you've got my attention boys.

I thought 17X9 would rub? My understanding was that 17X8 and 245/40R17 or so is the biggest we can run with no mods or spacers.