GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Annoying rattle on start up

boggy17

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Hey everyone,

'19 GTI SE 6MT here with just over 13k miles. For a while now, I've been hearing a metallic rattling sound coming from underneath the car. It's much more prominent when at cold start RPMs, and I also faintly hear it through the wind noise when driving with the windows down between around 1,000 to 2,000 RPM. Can't hear any rattling when engine is warm and idling. I have a feeling it's the heat shield around the exhaust, but I'm not sure. I've tried searching through this forum, youtube, etc. but any rattling sounds I'm finding seem to be coming from the engine and doesn't really sound like this. Any ideas before I take it to the dealership?

Thanks in advance!

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
My 2020 GTI w/ DSG makes the same noise on cold starts (have not heard it on a warm start or when car is warmed up).

I’ll be interested to hear if you find out what’s causing it. My dealer told me it was “normal” when I picked the car up with 8 miles on it. It’s sitting at 1,600 miles now and still does it. Was hoping it would go away after breaking the engine in, but it sounds the same as the day I picked it up.

boggy17

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI
My 2020 GTI w/ DSG makes the same noise on cold starts (have not heard it on a warm start or when car is warmed up).

I’ll be interested to hear if you find out what’s causing it. My dealer told me it was “normal” when I picked the car up with 8 miles on it. It’s sitting at 1,600 miles now and still does it. Was hoping it would go away after breaking the engine in, but it sounds the same as the day I picked it up.
I'm thinking I'll make an appointment at the dealership for Saturday, I'll let you know if they can find a solution.

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
[QUOTE="averyislost, post: 7465897,

My dealer told me it was “normal” when I picked the car up with 8 miles on it. It’s sitting at 1,600 miles now and still does it. Was hoping it would go away after breaking the engine in, but it sounds the same as the day I picked it up.
[/QUOTE]

Lol my dealer told me it was normal to smell coolant all the time, since mile 15, short story ,water pump. Thermostat housing, multiple leaks, under warranty, then I had more leaks and paid for both electric pumps that went bad after warranty, now no coolant smell, I'd take it to a different dealer, I stuck with the same one cuz I thought they knew what they were doing, but they didnt
2015 GTI s

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
[QUOTE="averyislost, post: 7465897,

My dealer told me it was “normal” when I picked the car up with 8 miles on it. It’s sitting at 1,600 miles now and still does it. Was hoping it would go away after breaking the engine in, but it sounds the same as the day I picked it up.

Lol my dealer told me it was normal to smell coolant all the time, since mile 15, short story ,water pump. Thermostat housing, multiple leaks, under warranty, then I had more leaks and paid for both electric pumps that went bad after warranty, now no coolant smell, I'd take it to a different dealer, I stuck with the same one cuz I thought they knew what they were doing, but they didnt
2015 GTI s
[/QUOTE]

What dealer did you end up going to?

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
2015 GTI s

[/QUOTE]
I am out of warranty , so I went back to the shop that used to fix my 68 bug. They referred me to another shop since they only service old cars now. It happened to be right behind my studio. They have done great so far, and they don't bs at all

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I am out of warranty , so I went back to the shop that used to fix my 68 bug. They referred me to another shop since they only service old cars now. It happened to be right behind my studio. They have done great so far, and they don't bs at all
[/QUOTE]

Penske in north Scottsdale.

Judas

Go Kart Newbie

Penske in north Scottsdale.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah I'm happy with my shop, if there's an issue they can't handle I'll try Penske , it's quite a ways away

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Someone else posted about this exact same noise not long ago. I think almost everyone said it is "normal" on cold starts. Mine does the same thing, it's very noticeable when starting in a garage. After the initial warm-up is over (within a minute or so) the noise goes away. If the car has been driven within the last few hours, at least in warm summer temps it doesn't make the noise at all.

I also faintly hear it through the wind noise when driving with the windows down between around 1,000 to 2,000 RPM.

Edit: Is this before the car has fully warmed up? I do not hear it at all when driving.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
I'm thinking I'll make an appointment at the dealership for Saturday, I'll let you know if they can find a solution.

Hey OP, you end up going to the dealership to let them have a look?

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
It’s your secondary air injection.

That makes sense, my 15 Golf I traded in last year for the GTI had a similar behavior but it sounded like a whine. The dealer here told me it was normal for the engine revision and 2016s and up make a different sound on cold starts.