GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help! MK7.5 GTI oil/coolant leaking after downpipe installation(white smoke from engine and surging rpm)

tonymac1

Passed Driver's Ed
I installed my akrapovic sport downpipe recently and today after 30 miles of high way driving, the car started to run very sluggish while idling and RPM kept jumping up( over 1k rpm) while braking at full stop. After I parked the car in the garage, there was white smoke coming out of engine bay and I noticed some significant amount of oil or coolant around the oil cap area. Nothing on the turbo. Any idea what's happening here? Did the shop do a bad installation or cause a boost leak?

The car only has 8k miles right now and I'm hesistant to take it to the dealer due to having the aftermarket downpipe and also a tune.

Please Help.

Attachments

• GTI oil leak.jpg
    GTI oil leak.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,171

tonymac1

Passed Driver's Ed
It wouldn’t Be sitting in the same place if that were a true story.
i realized maybe the oil cap might be loose for the whole time and oil sprayed out when i got home. The shop might unscrewed the cap and didnt tighten it properly... the weird behavior of the car might be due to this, It's a very new car and i just dont see why any of the valve would break..

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Yep. When you are losing that much crankcase pressure, your AFR will be all screwed up and that can burn out the 02 and damage the CAT if driven for a long duration.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
It’ll dry out. Be mindful that that oil can still get hot enough to “flame up” - especially on a hot engine.
With an Absolutely cold engine you could spray some degreaser over some of the spillage area and gently use a noxzled hose to spray off. Then just let it sit and dry off for a few hours.
At least check closely that there aren’t good pools of oil around.

tonymac1

Passed Driver's Ed
It’ll dry out. Be mindful that that oil can still get hot enough to “flame up” - especially on a hot engine.
With an Absolutely cold engine you could spray some degreaser over some of the spillage area and gently use a noxzled hose to spray off. Then just let it sit and dry off for a few hours.
At least check closely that there aren’t good pools of oil around.
I tried to clean the oil but some got onto the wirings and connections. How do I clean those? Gonna call these dickheads first thing Monday and ask why they left the cap loose

tonymac1

Passed Driver's Ed
Who pops the oil cap to do a DP install?
No idea, they are the only people that touched the car besides me. I bought some simple green but concerned about spraying it onto the wiring( those wrapped in black cloth). These wires apparently also had oils on them