GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Missing Oil Filler Cap - How could it happen?

Speedbird676

Car(s)
Golf GTD Mk7
This thread is purely speculative as to what the cause is as I am at a complete loss as to how this happened.

I took my Mk7 Golf GTD in for a service today and shortly after dropping the car off I received a call from the VW dealer telling me that when they opened the bonnet the oil filler cap was completely missing and there was spilt oil in the engine bay. They have replaced the cap, cleaned down the bay and as the car was being serviced have replaced the oil and filter as part of the service.

The last time the oil filler cap would have been removed is during the car's previous service last June. I haven't opened the bonnet since then. The car did go for its MOT in September last year, which it passed. I don't know whether the cap would have been checked as part of the MOT test.

So, as far as I can tell one of the following must be true:

1. The cap was not replaced during the last service. That means it has been missing for 15 months and I have driven 4,000 miles. Reading about other people's experiences of driving without the filler cap, a large amount of oil would have been expelled from the engine over that period of time. It doesn't sound from the extent of cleaning required that there was a huge amount of oil, I've never noticed any oil leak from under the car and the car has been driving normally. If incorrectly fitted, could the cap have worked loose and only recently come out completely?
  2. The cap was removed during the MOT. That means it has been missing for 12 months and I have driven 3,000-4,000 miles. All of the above would also be true. I don't think the MOT would call for the cap to be removed, but would a missing cap cause an MOT fail or advisory?
  3. The cap has been "stolen" some time between September last year and today. I've read up on how easy it is to open the bonnet of the Mk7 without access to the interior of the car and it seems pretty difficult - either cutting through the upper part of the grille or removing one of the wheel arch panels. It doesn't sound likely that either if these could be done in the street without somebody noticing. Are there any other methods of gaining access to the engine bay?
  4. The dealer has made the whole thing up to charge me for a new filler cap and cleaning the engine bay.

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
This thread is purely speculative as to what the cause is as I am at a complete loss as to how this happened.

I took my Mk7 Golf GTD in for a service today and shortly after dropping the car off I received a call from the VW dealer telling me that when they opened the bonnet the oil filler cap was completely missing and there was spilt oil in the engine bay. They have replaced the cap, cleaned down the bay and as the car was being serviced have replaced the oil and filter as part of the service.

The last time the oil filler cap would have been removed is during the car's previous service last June. I haven't opened the bonnet since then. The car did go for its MOT in September last year, which it passed. I don't know whether the cap would have been checked as part of the MOT test.

So, as far as I can tell one of the following must be true:

1. The cap was not replaced during the last service. That means it has been missing for 15 months and I have driven 4,000 miles. Reading about other people's experiences of driving without the filler cap, a large amount of oil would have been expelled from the engine over that period of time. It doesn't sound from the extent of cleaning required that there was a huge amount of oil, I've never noticed any oil leak from under the car and the car has been driving normally. If incorrectly fitted, could the cap have worked loose and only recently come out completely?
  2. The cap was removed during the MOT. That means it has been missing for 12 months and I have driven 3,000-4,000 miles. All of the above would also be true. I don't think the MOT would call for the cap to be removed, but would a missing cap cause an MOT fail or advisory?
  3. The cap has been "stolen" some time between September last year and today. I've read up on how easy it is to open the bonnet of the Mk7 without access to the interior of the car and it seems pretty difficult - either cutting through the upper part of the grille or removing one of the wheel arch panels. It doesn't sound likely that either if these could be done in the street without somebody noticing. Are there any other methods of gaining access to the engine bay?
  4. The dealer has made the whole thing up to charge me for a new filler cap and cleaning the engine bay.
lol 4
eff dealers

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Well this sucks. Hopefully this will give you a reason to check over your car every once in a while to visually see if anything is out of line.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
You would have (or should have) noticed some rough engine running conditions w/o an Oil Cap for 4000mi.
You recall everything, but yet seem to not ever look under the bonnet? For over a year apparently.
Before getting into blame, keep in touch with what is going on with your car first.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I would say 4 except add that this is to cover for them fucking up and driving the car without the filler cap in place.

I would bet they both lost the cap for you and spilled the oil.

Unless you have a good relationship with them the simplest explanation is them fucking up.

Speedbird676

Car(s)
Golf GTD Mk7
You would have (or should have) noticed some rough engine running conditions w/o an Oil Cap for 4000mi.
You recall everything, but yet seem to not ever look under the bonnet? For over a year apparently.
Before getting into blame, keep in touch with what is going on with your car first.

I'm not looking to blame anybody and fully accept (if it was indeed missing) that I should have noticed. I'm more annoyed at myself than anything for not realising it was missing but I am at a total loss as to when it could have gone missing, hence trying to recall the points at which it could have been removed.

As you stated, it's unlikely I would have driven 4,000 miles over fifteen months without noticing something but that is the only time the cap would have been removed.

Last edited:

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I find it highly unlikely oil has been splashing around under the hood for weeks without being noticed. Even if you're inattentive.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
If the cap had been off all that time, it would likely stink of oil to the sky. Speaking of one who knows having left the filler cap off a motorcycle for a minute or so, :eek:stunk up the engine, hot oil literally everywhere. Once a mate's car was 'apparently' serviced by a franchsied and the left they engine oil out. All of it. Fortunately he noticed almost immediately and, yeh, it stunk up to the sky....

Last edited:

tdipaul

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 6MT SE PP/LP
In 1980, when I was 10, my mom stopped at a station at home in Ho Ho Kus, NJ for gas and oil check before departing for Queens, NY. The service attendant forgot to put the oil cap back on our 1976(?) VW Dasher after adding some oil. We made it all the way to stopped traffic on the lower level of the George Washington Bridge before things got really smokey. We sat on the bridge for a few minutes (which seemed like hours in such a trafficked area) before a Port Authority tow truck driver gently pushed us out to the Bronx side, added some oil and put the cap back on for us (it was still sitting on the engine!). That was a traumatic experience for me and Mom that day and one I'll never forget. The Dasher burned it off and served us well for another few years before being traded in. It's one of the reasons I've always liked VW's.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
when you get it back. I'd leave car running, remove cap for a second and see if it runs differently. on my gti, removing the cap immediately makes it run poorly

I'd do it in front of the service guy. maybe gtd s run different than gti