GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Track Rats Still Active?

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I had a great day at Laguna Seca yesterday. I ran with the Point By group. Everyone was supposed to have 4+ days of experience and it showed. I lined up 2nd or 3rd in every session and spend the majority of the day badgering a guy in a C7 Grand Sport coupe. In the third session I was right on his tail and he got out of shape and decided to let me by. I was cackling like a madman. LOL!

In the forth session I was pushing the car pretty hard and the DSC was kicking in a lot. I got stuck behind a WRX for a couple laps and he wasn't letting me by. Then my oil light came on and the car went into limp mode. I pulled into the pits let it sit for about 30 seconds and the CEL went away. I did 2 more laps and the car seemed fine. After the session I checked the oil and it was in the bottom of the normal range so I added 1/2 a quart. I checked the OBD and there weren't any codes. I'm assuming that it was high oil temperature.

I had several laps in the 1:50:XX range. My PB was a 1:50:53. That's 2 seconds faster than my previous PB.

I ran 35 PSI HOT in the RS4s. I was getting even temps all the way across the tires. The fronts were in the mid 150s and the rears were in the mid 120's.
How much camber are you running up front?

zef

Drag Racing Champion

ebuuz

Go Kart Newbie
https://datazap.me/u/wh1rlybird/log-1598132407?log=0&data=0-5-7-8-9

Swapped to the 93oct tune for the first time since 2015. Put in a splash of octane booster for insurance.

Im really happy to see the above numbers. Pulling only 4.5 degrees only briefly. The 91 tune was doing exactly the same so might as well get some real power out of it. Crazy to feel the extra 15-20 ponies again. The car has never been so lean and so fast. I really want to get back to the 1/4 mile to get into the 12s. Eventually Ill get to portland to lay down a time portland international raceway.

for what it's worth - I've been running 93 octane APR tunes while using california 91 gas with no issues for 2-3 years - I've had my car dynoed before with the 91 and was told my engine was not pulling any timing. Not that I'd recommend it... but its been fine for me. I've tried both 91 and 93 tunes on the stock turbo and the k04 hybrid - the power difference is noticeable

In other news - I should be able to get a new RMS and clutch/flywheel/pressure plate installed this week and it'll be back to the tracks for me! Hopefully it cools down a quickly here in California..

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Yesterday morning at Laguna Seca the car went into limp mode about 1/2 way through the first session. I drove back the pits and waited for a minute and the CEL stayed on. I turned the car off and back on but it was still there. I pulled up the OBD reader and I had codes for misfires on 2 and 3. I had a feeling I probably should have changed the plugs before I went but never got around to it (I had installed a set of Autolite Platinums at 33,500 miles). I did some searching here and found that the NGK BKR7EIX seemed to be the plugs to get. Luckily I found a set at O'Reilly Auto Parts in Seaside. I got back to the track about 10 minutes before the second session. By that time the codes had cleared so I decided to go out and see if it happened again. I made it through the second session without any problems but I went ahead and changed the plugs over the lunch break. Other than that my Porterfield R4 pads made it through 4 track days but they are done (2-3mm left). The Hankook RS4s I installed in July have 3 track days (120 laps at LS) and a couple thousand miles on them. They look like they should last another 3-4 track days.

I had 4 laps in the 1:51:XX range with the fastest being a 1:51:10.

Last edited:

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Yesterday morning at Laguna Seca the car went into limp mode about 1/2 way through the first session. I drove back the pits and waited for a minute and the CEL stayed on. I turned the car off and back on but it was still there. I pulled up the OBD reader and I had codes for misfires on 2 and 3. I had a feeling I probably should have changed the plugs before I went but never got around to it (I had installed a set of Autolite Platinums at 33,500 miles). I did some searching here and found that the NGK BKR7EIX seemed to be the plugs to get. Luckily I found a set at O'Reilly Auto Parts in Seaside. I got back to the track about 10 minutes before the second session. By that time the codes had cleared so I decided to go out and see if it happened again. I made it through the second session without any problems but I went ahead and changed the plugs over the lunch break. Other than that my Porterfield R4 pads made it through 4 track days but they are done (2-3mm left). The Hankook RS4s I installed in July have 3 track days (120 laps at LS) and a couple thousand miles on them. They look like they should last another 3-4 track days.

I had 4 laps in the 1:51:XX range with the fastest being a 1:51:10.
Glad you were able to source some plugs and didn’t miss much track time. I’m not a fan of Autolite plugs, and would definitely recommend the NGK (either platinum or iridium versions).

As far as pads, I’d recommend G-loc R12 or Carbotech XP12...they’re basically the same pad. I can typically get 6+ track days out of a set of front pads. But it does depend on the track.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I'm starting to mock up my brake ducts. Good thing I inspected, pads are pretty toast. Carbotech xp12, about 5 track days and a trip to tail of the dragon on them.

Have to clean these up a bit still, and grind down the welds ( I'm not good at welding)

20200930_172915.jpg

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Glad you were able to source some plugs and didn’t miss much track time. I’m not a fan of Autolite plugs, and would definitely recommend the NGK (either platinum or iridium versions).

As far as pads, I’d recommend G-loc R12 or Carbotech XP12...they’re basically the same pad. I can typically get 6+ track days out of a set of front pads. But it does depend on the track.

Thanks for the input Ronnie. Are you driving with those pads to the track? One thing that is really nice about the Porterfields is that they have a wide enough temperature range that you can drive them around town and to the track. I left them on all summer. I have a set of PFC Carbon Metallic (10 compound) for daily driving. The two pads are compatible too so I don't have to worry about rebedding every time I swap pads.

ebuuz

Go Kart Newbie
I used to swap pads, but I’ve gotten lazy and just leave mine on year round. They work well in cold temps and I have no issues.

I use carbotech xp10 on the fronts on my TTRS bbk and they squeal enough to be embarrassing :rolleyes: for daily driving...sucks.

I'm glad to see some gents in this forum still actively tracking their mk6 .. excited to get out to Buttonwillow in a couple weeks. My PCV failed at that track back in January and took out my RMS .. fun times. Will be the first time back at the track this year

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
I use carbotech xp10 on the fronts on my TTRS bbk and they squeal enough to be embarrassing :rolleyes: for daily driving...sucks.

I'm glad to see some gents in this forum still actively tracking their mk6 .. excited to get out to Buttonwillow in a couple weeks. My PCV failed at that track back in January and took out my RMS .. fun times. Will be the first time back at the track this year

I used to be embarrassed about the brake squeal, honestly now I sort of enjoy it 😂

I carry a spare PCV valve with me to the track, along with a few other critical spare parts.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I used to be embarrassed about the brake squeal, honestly now I sort of enjoy it 😂

I am running G-Loc G12s on the TTRS, of course it's not a DD but I take it to work a couple times a month.

Been thinking about getting a sticker made that says "Breaks squeak.......because racecar"