GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

‘13 GTI Does my tensioner indicate excessive chain stretch?

ghost135i

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all,

I just purchased a 2013 MK6 with 60k miles on it a week ago as a daily while I work on my other car. A bit before then, and since then I’ve been reading up on these cars a TON. Even though this is a 2013, I wanted to inspect the tensioner to be certain it was the new style, but also to see if it indicated any stretch in my timing chain prompting me to replace it. I saw that if it’s extended 6 or more tabs on the new style, then the chain should be replaced.

The car is in running perfectly fine, just checking this before I begin modding.

Please take a look at the picture I attached of my tensioner, because I’m confused if I’m supposed to count the tabs PAST the black piece of the tensioner, or the total visible tabs. If I’m only counting the ones past the black piece then it would indicate that it’s only extended 4 tabs. If I’m counting the total seen, I need to replace the chain asap. Please let me know, thank you!

Attachments

• E849DB70-3C58-47E5-AE3D-E6AA98173015.png
    E849DB70-3C58-47E5-AE3D-E6AA98173015.png
    7.8 MB · Views: 152
Last edited:

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Have you checked block 93 with OBD11 or VCDS to verify amount of chain stretch?

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I saw that if it’s extended 6 or more tabs on the new style, then the chain should be replaced.

Please take a look at the picture I attached of my tensioner, because I’m confused if I’m supposed to count the tabs PAST the black piece of the tensioner, or the total visible tabs.

I think you’re right, just thinking too hard. You probably don’t need a chain at only 60k.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Yeah I read something about the tabs also but can’t remember what it was.

Like csumt76 said tho @60k you should be okay.

@BudgetPhoenix or @jay745 might know!

The weekends there is less traffic since not as many people are working. Unless it’s the Covid thread 😆

ghost135i

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a very reputable VW/Audi shop I’m conveniently not too far from share their opinion. They said it’s extended pretty far out and would recommend chain replacement, and balance shafts too if I’m open to it. In their words it’s a failure point on MK6’s? Was not aware of that. In general aside from parts their quote came in at 7hrs labor which seemed reasonable.

I purchased OBD11 Pro and am waiting for it to arrive. Want to see what the readings come out to be.

ghost135i

Passed Driver's Ed
That looks fine to me, you have plenty of teeth left....4 teeth extended is basically new. Check with vagcom before dropping a ton of money right now, the shop might be looking for work.

Well since I ordered OBD11 I’ll check that first before anything. What about the balance shafts? Are those something be to concerned about? Looking to begin modding this car shortly.

I appreciate the feedback.

ghost135i

Passed Driver's Ed
I wouldn't say balance shaft failure is common at all for stock motors. Usually that is seen on built motors and even then it's rare.
That’s more along the lines of what I thought. Especially since I have only seen a few failures on the forms in the time I’ve spent looking through them, and researching common issues etc... Honestly the car is running perfectly fine, I’d be shocked if it needed all this. What that shop said just had me a little concerned. They’re fairly large in the VW/Audi modding scene too, so I didn’t think they’d be starving for work but who knows. Thanks.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
The shop is always going to go with the more safe option.

The old tensioner is failure prone the new one is good.

I'd check with OBD11 and go from there. I don't have as many miles as you on my 13 but my measurement was well within safe.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
The shop is always going to go with the more safe option.

Exactly. Imagine if they said you were fine and nothing to worry about and the engine grenades a week later? lol

ghost135i

Passed Driver's Ed
Exactly. Imagine if they said you were fine and nothing to worry about and the engine grenades a week later? lol

Well, I’m just getting to know this platform so naturally I will always ask for more than one opinion :) If that came across as being rude regarding the shop, that’s not what I intended.

Good news, just scanned with OBD11 and the it’s only at -2.7° so I should be good for a long while provided everything holds up correctly.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
That looks fine to me, you have plenty of teeth left....4 teeth extended is basically new. Check with vagcom before dropping a ton of money right now, the shop might be looking for work.

^ This

I wouldn't say balance shaft failure is common at all for stock motors. Usually that is seen on built motors and even then it's rare.

Agree as well. No need to replace unless it looks like previous oil changes have been neglected and oil looks sludgy or clumpy in the bottom of the pan. These only fail when debris clogs the screens and block oil flow to the bearings.

I just replaced mine out of anxiety and because I was already pulling the head and chains/guides/tensioners. They were in perfect shape at 118K. No bearing wear and screens were all clean.

Last edited:

ghost135i

Passed Driver's Ed
^ This

Agree as well. No need to replace unless it looks like previous oil changes have been neglected and oil looks sludgy or clumpy in the bottom of the pan. These only fail when debris clogs the screens and block oil flow to the bearings.

I just replaced mine out of anxiety and because I was already pulling the head and chains/guides/tensioners. They were in perfect shape at 118K. No bearing wear and screens were all clean.

Thanks. My impression based on the engine bay condition is that the previous owners kept up with maintenance fairly well. Bone dry with no leaks, and the oil looked good when I changed it. Now time to decide between a k04 or gtx2867r