GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you get in the mail or bring home for your MKVII today?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Haha, Well I will at least take the car for a drive in between each part - was hoping to learn something useful from doing a little testing.
Someone did mention that the damper does seem to reduce a little of the NVH in reverse from the dogbone, so maybe it worth testing things with and without the damper.

Indy11Forever

Passed Driver's Ed
Here's what I got in the mail today. Nice work by Safety Restore.

Attachments

• redb.jpg
    redb.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 116

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Just throw it all on there at once, what are you, Consumer Reports? Be prepared to wonder where all the front tire noise is coming from though, it's pretty impressive how much of the rear drone it takes out. My wife noticed it without me even telling her what had changed.

Had this issue recently. Installed the damper to get rid of the "log rolling" rear tire noise, as it sometimes would almost sound like a wheel bearing going bad over certain roads or certain speeds.

Now all I hear is the tires from the front of the car when I listen for that noise, the rear is much quieter.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Is this noise only associated to the base golf?

I've had two mk7s. A mk7 gti and a mk7.5R and have no idea wtf you guys are talking about in regards to this noise coming from the rear.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD

I've had two mk7s. A mk7 gti and a mk7.5R and have no idea wtf you guys are talking about in regards to this noise coming from the rear.
R wouldn't count as the damper only fits FWD vehicles. I've got a GSW S, but it's an airy tire "womp -womp" kinda noise dunno. It was worse before I swapped tires to the Ecopias, almost thought I had a passenger wheel bearing going out or something at first. It almost sounds like there is no barrier between the rear wheel well and the cabin a bit to me. Much quieter after install, to the point that I can clearly hear all the tire noise coming from the front of the cabin now. Rear sounds much more like wind noise in the cabin, or blends better at that frequency maybe?

Edit: Almost like lifted truck off road tires on the freeway kinda noise? Dunno.. there was a clear sound coming from the rear - I wrote it off as a Wagon vs Hatch and I had more dead space back there that was making it sound louder vs my MK6 R or other Hatches i've owned. After the damper install, the tire noise is much more focused up front and rears are pretty quiet at certain speeds (45ish and around 70ish) and over shitty roads.

Last edited:

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals

Only fwd cars, your R has a different rear subframe and likely doesn't have the hollow/droning sounds from the fwd MQB without the damper. Both of my GTI's have had roughly the same noise, which is surprising, given how much rear sound deadening they removed from the Mk7 on the Mk7.5. My Mk7.5 with the damper is much quieter than my Mk7 ever was without it. I'm not sure that mine was any better or worse with the OE Hankooks vs the current Michelin AS4.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Only fwd cars, your R has a different rear subframe and likely doesn't have the hollow/droning sounds from the fwd MQB without the damper. Both of my GTI's have had roughly the same noise, which is surprising, given how much rear sound deadening they removed from the Mk7 on the Mk7.5. My Mk7.5 with the damper is much quieter than my Mk7 ever was without it. I'm not sure that mine was any better or worse with the OE Hankooks vs the current Michelin AS4.
Yeah, it made more of a difference than the Noico 80mm I laid down in the spare tire/boot area with that noise. Agree that tires make a difference in how "loud" the sound is, my near bald tires were horrible for that noise.

For under 80 bucks for the damper and 2 nuts I'd say it was worth the install.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yeah, it made more of a difference than the Noico 80mm I laid down in the spare tire/boot area with that noise. Agree that tires make a difference in how "loud" the sound is, my near bald tires were horrible for that noise.

For under 80 bucks for the damper and 2 nuts I'd say it was worth the install.
Plus the whole Making Latvia Great Again thing. They must really wonder what the deal is with this part right about now.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Agree that tires make a difference in how "loud" the sound is, my near bald tires were horrible for that noise.
This sounds like the equivalent of fixing a check engine light with electrical tape lol

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
PXL_20201015_190131749.jpg

Rev9 cat back. Will probably put it on tomorrow. Have no problem putting in a Vibrant res or Borla muffler inline with it if necessary, but since my downpipe is already catted\resonated, I wanted to see how it sounds first.