GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Installed the Eurosport strut tower brace. A bit disappointed: they put a sticker on the brace itself, but none in the box. I have a habit of populating the underside of the hood with stickers, but there won't be one from Eurosport.
20201203_192746.jpg

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
55mph deer to hood mod. Honestly did way more damage than I expected, but I'm unharmed. Torn on insurance claim or fixing it myself. Rate increase would only be worth it if they total it.

Definitely go through insurance, that’s why you pay them. Premium shouldn’t be raised for hitting a deer.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
55mph deer to hood mod. Honestly did way more damage than I expected, but I'm unharmed. Torn on insurance claim or fixing it myself. Rate increase would only be worth it if they total it.

You're in luck. Since we're the deer capitol of the fucking world...

From the PA Insurance Department - "Under Pennsylvania state law, crashes involving deer are considered not-at-fault accidents, and insurance companies cannot add a surcharge to a policyholder's premium as a result."

This does not count if you swerve to avoid a deer and hit something else. So hit the deer or don't hit anything.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
You're in luck. Since we're the deer capitol of the fucking world...

From the PA Insurance Department - "Under Pennsylvania state law, crashes involving deer are considered not-at-fault accidents, and insurance companies cannot add a surcharge to a policyholder's premium as a result."

This does not count if you swerve to avoid a deer and hit something else. So hit the deer or don't hit anything.

Hahahaha the last part has me cracking up. I’m just imagining the poor shmuck this happens to...

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Hahahaha the last part has me cracking up. I’m just imagining the poor shmuck this happens to...
Happens a lot more than you would think. First reaction is to swerve to not hit it, and most people dont have the reaction time to check first to make sure they wont hit something else. Either that or they swerve hard and lose control. Saw it happen to someone on the highway after some asshole cut them off weaving through traffic. The lady slammed on her brakes and swerved, lost control, spun a few times, and hit a tree

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
What happens if you do hit the deer, then lose control and wreck into a tree? Turning a fender bender into a completely destroyed car? They'll total it out with no penalties?

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
What happens if you do hit the deer, then lose control and wreck into a tree? Turning a fender bender into a completely destroyed car? They'll total it out with no penalties?

If you hit the tree hard enough to total your car then the deer probably totaled it on it's own.

But you're right, I'm sure there are plenty of nuances to these situations that insurance companies could use to try and get out of it. I don't know what responsibility you have to prove you hit a deer. I've hit deer before and they didn't stick around and they never leave a phone #

Last edited: