GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How much have you spent on your GTI and purchase do you regret the most?

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
Did you contact Orange Electronics directly?
I have not, I figured the Ali Express one would suffice. But now that you mention it, it may be worth my time to reach out.

And I do have VCDS, so coding was of no worry to me.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have not, I figured the Ali Express one would suffice. But now that you mention it, it may be worth my time to reach out.

And I do have VCDS, so coding was of no worry to me.
I don't know about the Ali Express version but the Orange Electronics one comes with an ODB dongle that does the coding for you. If Orange Electronics has quit making them I wonder how I'll be able to get new sensors when the battery dies in my original ones. But it sure is nice to be able to see the pressure in each tire. When I get my wheels rotated and balanced at Discount Tire I can immediately see if they put the tires to the air pressure I requested.

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
I don't know about the Ali Express version but the Orange Electronics one comes with an ODB dongle that does the coding for you. If Orange Electronics has quit making them I wonder how I'll be able to get new sensors when the battery dies in my original ones. But it sure is nice to be able to see the pressure in each tire. When I get my wheels rotated and balanced at Discount Tire I can immediately see if they put the tires to the air pressure I requested.
Are they OEM VW TPMS sensors? The Ali-Express kit shows VW Sensors in the image.

But Either way I think so long as they are the proper frequency they should be able to communicate regardless of if they are Volkswagen or not.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Are they OEM VW TPMS sensors? The Ali-Express kit shows VW Sensors in the image.

But Either way I think so long as they are the proper frequency they should be able to communicate regardless of if they are Volkswagen or not.
They are the Orange Electronics sensors and they said only theirs would work. I expected them to say that but I don't know if it's true. Discount Tires didn't think other brands would work FWIW.

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
They are the Orange Electronics sensors and they said only theirs would work. I expected them to say that but I don't know if it's true. Discount Tires didn't think other brands would work FWIW.
I wanna say if we know the Frequency on the Sensors the should in theory be able to work regardless.

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
I hope so if I can't get them from Orange when I need new ones.
Looks like there are two frequencies that TPMS normally operates on. 433MHz and 315MHz and from what I'm reading for our MK7s it shoooooould be 433MHz but I'm not finding a whole lot to confirm that.

But this is the kit I was looking at https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32962290383.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.545a2e0efjLec3

Edit: Looking at the images closer on the listing, the receiver has 433MHz written on it.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
If brakes are locking up the tires then there's something wrong with the antilock braking system.
I think what he means here is if you can engage the Abs then tires are the limiting factor. Which is true, although generally speaking the bigger the brakes and the better the calipers, master cylinder, fluid etc, the better feel/controllability you have and the better ability you have the withstand repeated heavy braking.

As an aside, it seems to me that non track straight line people massively overlook/could care less about braking, it's all about a 10th of a second here, a tenth there..... But anyone who has tracked for any length of time will know that a good set of brakes beats out xxx amount of horsepower over any given lap, more so on tight twisty circuits.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
About 10k in mods, and the car is paid off (bought new in Dec 2015).

No regrets once so ever, except for not paying to have it ceramic coated when it was new. That would’ve been money well spent for sure.

One of these days I’ll do a full mod recap video on my car.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
He didn't mean literally lock the tires, jeez.
The stock brakes, even on the non-PP GTI, are strong enough to lock up the tires in emergency braking. In other words, the tires are the limiting factor in terms of individual, heavy braking stops.

I’ve been tuned on both my previous, non-PP GTI, and current Alltrack, both of which have same brakes. With AS3+ on the GTI and AS4’s on the Alltrack, never felt my brakes were insufficient for my driving habits as a 100% daily driver/weekend adventure car.
Yeah they responded to one of my statements as though it was said in a vacuum without a bunch of context surrounding it

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
About 10k in mods, and the car is paid off (bought new in Dec 2015).

No regrets once so ever, except for not paying to have it ceramic coated when it was new. That would’ve been money well spent for sure.

One of these days I’ll do a full mod recap video on my car.
That is the best mod to do, especially if you are dumping thousands into it.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
That is the best mod to do, especially if you are dumping thousands into it.

Yeah mines neglected on the detailing side of things, it gets a bucket wash every week or two and that’s it.

I worked 70 hours this week between aviation and the side work so it just sat in the shop dirty lol

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
17 TT CPO w 8000 miles $37k mods: $15,460
in order, best as I can remember
MSS springs (slight regret but Ohlins weren’t released yet)
$1100
034 RSB + links.
$500
Stoptech 355 BBK. this car was scary with oem brakes (312 base GTIs)
$2300
then cause winter, I bought some 18“ Cadiz with michelins which I gave to son 1 the following spring for his Sportwagen
$1300
Sold my OEM summer 19s (-$1100) and bought RSE 11s for $1200 so
$100
Michelin 4S
$800
JB4 w Bluetooth (now in son 1s 19 Sportwagen)
$550
REMUS catback with 034 res delete + tips (borderline stupid but I gave lots of thought to NOT going stage 2)
$2000
Ceramic coat
$500
RSe05 winter wheels 8
$1200
Powder coat 11s gloss black (what the fvck was I thinking, 100% top regret)
$480
Sold 11s, lost the powder coating money so ($650)
RSe122 18x9.5 (these are so gorgeous)
$1350
KONI yellows
$700
Sold RSe05s ($900?) Bought Tirerack Flow1 F2 for winter $930
$30
UM Stage 1 ecu & tcu
$1200
FCP Euro IS38 (sitting on Billy’s shop shelf for spring install)
$1350
untold money to Billy for installations😁

Last edited: