GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

dietpeachfresca

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok cool, thanks. Just wanted to make sure one wasn't better than the other before I bought a set.

A different question.

Does the MK6 move the front wipers when you start/stop the car? I noticed that they are up higher when I'm driving it, then it seems to move them down a few mm when I turn the car off. Wouldn't this be bad for the wipers to move them without moisture on the glass? Or is my car special in some sort of way?

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Ok cool, thanks. Just wanted to make sure one wasn't better than the other before I bought a set.

A different question.

Does the MK6 move the front wipers when you start/stop the car? I noticed that they are up higher when I'm driving it, then it seems to move them down a few mm when I turn the car off. Wouldn't this be bad for the wipers to move them without moisture on the glass? Or is my car special in some sort of way?

Yes, it's normal. The car does it to flip the actual wiping blade the other way. I guess the idea is that it reduces exposure to UV and the elements, which increases wiper blade life. It also means that changing blades requires the extra step of moving the arms in to service position... learned that the hard way first time I tried to change blades on this car.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Do Tiguan gen1+ brakes fit the Mk6 platform? They look like they'd be an upgrade and it's also a PQ car...

Also, anyone seen that guy who said Mk7R brakes fit?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I bought some new wheels recently, they're a different center bore than my previous aftermarket wheels so ill be getting new hub rings to meet the 73.1mm CB of the wheels. I see Urotuning has 73.0mm HCR's listed. will the 0.1mm gap make my car explode?

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
I bought some new wheels recently, they're a different center bore than my previous aftermarket wheels so ill be getting new hub rings to meet the 73.1mm CB of the wheels. I see Urotuning has 73.0mm HCR's listed. will the 0.1mm gap make my car explode?

Yes definitely

The "73" is probably 73.1 - ECS categorizes their 73.1's as 73

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
You might get some vibrations at highway speeds thats probably about it.

dietpeachfresca

Passed Driver's Ed
What is a good constant 12v in the interior fuse box to tap?

A few weeks ago, I went into #35, there wasn't a fuse there, and was a hot 12v, but it was killing my battery in just a few hours. Not even with anything hooked up to the outlet that I added. I have since gotten a new battery, but I've been reluctant to plug the tap back in to that spot.

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
What is a good constant 12v in the interior fuse box to tap?

A few weeks ago, I went into #35, there wasn't a fuse there, and was a hot 12v, but it was killing my battery in just a few hours. Not even with anything hooked up to the outlet that I added. I have since gotten a new battery, but I've been reluctant to plug the tap back in to that spot.
if it was killing your battery it sounds like whatever you are hooking up is pulling power... doesnt mean where you got power was to blame.

dietpeachfresca

Passed Driver's Ed
if it was killing your battery it sounds like whatever you are hooking up is pulling power... doesnt mean where you got power was to blame.
Yeah, that's why I don't really want to go back into that fuse. The fuse diagram I printed didn't have #35 listed, but another diagram says #35 is Suspension control module

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Yeah, that's why I don't really want to go back into that fuse. The fuse diagram I printed didn't have #35 listed, but another diagram says #35 is Suspension control module
What are you trying to accomplish? Some of the fuses are hot at all times or with ignition on. Obviously if you have a device 'turned on' and connected to hot 12v source it's going to kill the battery eventually.

dietpeachfresca

Passed Driver's Ed
What are you trying to accomplish? Some of the fuses are hot at all times or with ignition on. Obviously if you have a device 'turned on' and connected to hot 12v source it's going to kill the battery eventually.
First I was trying to add an always on cigarette lighter into the glovebox so I could charge my phone if the car isn't on.

But I just ordered a dash cam, it has a motion sensor for when it's parked, but it needs constant power for that to work.

It's not a huge deal if I can't use that mode. But I already have the tap, and all the wires going under the dash to the glovebox, it's just not plugged in anymore.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
First I was trying to add an always on cigarette lighter into the glovebox so I could charge my phone if the car isn't on.

But I just ordered a dash cam, it has a motion sensor for when it's parked, but it needs constant power for that to work.

It's not a huge deal if I can't use that mode. But I already have the tap, and all the wires going under the dash to the glovebox, it's just not plugged in anymore.

Neither of those should be a huge drain on your battery, i run dual always on dashcams no problem.
But i did buy a higher end gel battery