GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

yungaxel3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
My exhaust is pretty much stock other than swapping in the TCR muffler. It was pretty tame when I first swapped it in, but over time it got louder. Almost too loud for sensitive passengers. What's the best thing I can do to reduce the sound a bit? Replace stock resonator with 17950? Or 17930 since I have stock piping? Or keep stock resonator and add the ultra quiet? TIA

@GTI Jake

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
My exhaust is pretty much stock other than swapping in the TCR muffler. It was pretty tame when I first swapped it in, but over time it got louder. Almost too loud for sensitive passengers. What's the best thing I can do to reduce the sound a bit? Replace stock resonator with 17950? Or 17930 since I have stock piping? Or keep stock resonator and add the ultra quiet? TIA

@GTI Jake

I wanna pull my hair out when people bring up the 17930...right in the first post I explain that it’s SMALLER than the OEM tubing and won’t fit, there’s never a reason to go smaller than stock.

The TCR & CSS are basically muffler deletes. If you want quieter and don’t want to re install the the OEM suitcase I’d recommend a catback with a real muffler (no resonator required if you’re keeping the OEM DP).

Just adding a muffler in line kinda defeats the purpose of a CSS/TCR being a budget easily reversed bolt on. So selling it or trading for a CBE is your best move rather than hacking stuff up (“muffler shops” generally = bad experiences)

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
I wanna pull my hair out when people bring up the 17930...right in the first post I explain that it’s SMALLER than the OEM tubing and won’t fit, there’s never a reason to go smaller than stock.

The TCR & CSS are basically muffler deletes. If you want quieter and don’t want to re install the the OEM suitcase I’d recommend a catback with a real muffler (no resonator required if you’re keeping the OEM DP).

Just adding a muffler in line kinda defeats the purpose of a CSS/TCR being a budget easily reversed bolt on. So selling it or trading for a CBE is your best move rather than hacking stuff up (“muffler shops” generally = bad experiences)

He's got a '19, so the piping should be 60mm like mine, so the 17930 w/ 2.5"ID should slip over the stock pipe. The TCR end did fit over the cut I made in the stock pipe with wiggle room. I assume they didn't use two different diameter of piping front and aft?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
He's got a '19, so the piping should be 60mm like mine, so the 17930 w/ 2.5"ID should slip over the stock pipe. The TCR end did fit over the cut I made in the stock pipe with wiggle room. I assume they didn't use two different diameter of piping front and aft?

Its 60mm after the resonator on 19 and newer, but not before.

Resonators adjust tone, not so much volume. It’s a round hole in a square peg trying to tame a stock downpipe like I said he needs a quieter muffler for ideal results.

All Gti downpipes are 2.6”, so all inlets to the factory resonator are as well.

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
Its 60mm after the resonator on 19 and newer, but not before.

Resonators adjust tone, not so much volume. It’s a round hole in a square peg trying to tame a stock downpipe like I said he needs a quieter muffler for ideal results.

All Gti downpipes are 2.6”, so all inlets to the factory resonator are as well.
Gotcha, I guess I was wrong to assume they'd use the same diameter piping after the dp. Kind of silly...

yungaxel3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
I also assumed the piping was smaller throughout for 2019, that’s why I asked. Thanks for answering this question millions of times Jake 😅

wario406

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI
I can build them, but never have. I wouldn’t recommend it nor would it be cheaper than that. People post cold start videos of resonator deletes to help cope with the fact that its a complete waste of money. Outside of cold start high idle you’d be hard pressed to detect any difference at all with a resonator delete.

Its a lot more expensive and time consuming to hand build parts vs having something bent in China

Those welds are sex...