GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 GTI Exhaust set-ups/preferences

bato0325

I just bought a 10' mk6 gti about a month ago and curious as to what other people run or prefer in terms of performance and sound for their exhaust (downpipe, cat-back, etc.) Not sure if there was already a thread made for this I just couldn't find it if there was. Appreciate the responses ahead of time.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
It’s a matter of opinion really.

Best sounding IMO is probably the APR one
Best sounding for the price is a resonator delete

Checkout YouTube for sound clips.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
As GolNat said, it’s all subjective.

My experience has been with an APR cast down pipe and a Borla CBE. It sounded great. The rumble at idle and the deep throaty sound when getting on it. I also had a little popping when letting off the throttle after cold starts. It wasn’t obnoxious like a pops and bangs tune. After having that set up for several years, the highway drone got a bit old as am I.

I recently had the Borla swapped out for the APR CBE with the resonator. It’s a lot more subdued at idle, but sounds incredible when getting on it. There’s next to no drone from this system. Cruising in 6th between 75-80 is soooo much quieter than the Borla was.

There are so many options and combinations that it’s sometimes hard to find sound clips of the combo you’re interested in, but there are tons on YouTube videos you can listen to your heart’s content.

Good luck!

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Get whatever you can afford. It is a 4 cylinder so no matter how much you pay for an exhaust it will never sound as good as a VR6 or a V8.