GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which brake rotor brand is better for track use?

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Just did another track day with EBC yellowstuff, Zimmerman drilled rotors and rs3 brake ducts, re71s. Car performed extremely well, minimal fade. Keep in mind this track only gets up to 95mphish.
I also posted the fastest time of the day. VERY NICE!

Attachments

• 1194A2BA-B8A3-4AF5-ABE7-7277821B1C40.jpeg
    1194A2BA-B8A3-4AF5-ABE7-7277821B1C40.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 109
  • DA3F5749-59ED-4CB1-B492-A6D70496DE69.jpeg
    DA3F5749-59ED-4CB1-B492-A6D70496DE69.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 104

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Just did another track day with EBC yellowstuff, Zimmerman drilled rotors and rs3 brake ducts, re71s. Car performed extremely well, minimal fade. Keep in mind this track only gets up to 95mphish.
I also posted the fastest time of the day. VERY NICE!
Holy crap, an e30 M3 and an M Coupe

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I can say that I just put on a new set of Zimmerman blanks and DS2500 in the front and after one track day I am getting some significant brake shuddering. I absolutely don't want to slander Zimmerman because frankly I did not bed this combo in too well and I have not yet diagnosed the source of the shuddering yet.
I occasionally get the same shuddering on braking after a track day - it’s just pad deposit and usually wears off after a week to two of street driving. Seems to happen if pads get super hot. I’m running same DS2500/Zimmerman setup. Proper bedding can help negate but I think at the end of the day it’s just a limitation of the pad.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I occasionally get the same shuddering on braking after a track day - it’s just pad deposit and usually wears off after a week to two of street driving. Seems to happen if pads get super hot. I’m running same DS2500/Zimmerman setup. Proper bedding can help negate but I think at the end of the day it’s just a limitation of the pad.

Yeah, I think it's common with DS2500.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Not to drag this too off topic, but is there a better dual duty pad than DS2500? I’m thinking of trying Pagid RSL29 next. Getting to the point where I can overheat the DS2500s after several hard laps at Laguna. Other tracks they’re still fine.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
@Will_ out of curiosity what oil temp are you getting up to on hot laps, I only had to do serious cool downs with my yellowstuff pads when oil temps got up to 265.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
@Will_ out of curiosity what oil temp are you getting up to on hot laps, I only had to do serious cool downs with my yellowstuff pads when oil temps got up to 265.
I back off at 260-265. If it’s 70F that’s usually after 5-6 hard laps. Oil usually gets too hot before the brakes do.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Not to drag this too off topic, but is there a better dual duty pad than DS2500? I’m thinking of trying Pagid RSL29 next. Getting to the point where I can overheat the DS2500s after several hard laps at Laguna. Other tracks they’re still fine.
RSL29’s are a great dual duty pad IMHO. They are kind to rotors on the street. And for me they have have great modulation and are easy to trailbrake.

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
RSL29’s are a great dual duty pad IMHO. They are kind to rotors on the street. And for me they have have great modulation and are easy to trailbrake.
As the owner of Mini7's old pads, I concur. I've got them to the point of smoking on a brake heavy track with no noticable loss of performance. A bit squeeky on the the street, but not big deal.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
HP+ are dirty and noisy, but I've had them to the point of smoke pouring out from under the fenders with no fade too. I thought the car was on fire. They were stupid hard on rotors though.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
I back off at 260-265. If it’s 70F that’s usually after 5-6 hard laps. Oil usually gets too hot before the brakes do.
Do you have the rs3 ducts? These helped tremendously since my last time at the track.

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
+1 But, you might have trouble finding any right now. Reached out to a Pagid direct distributor and they said there weren't any anywhere as of a month or so ago. So, you might need to find a vendor that just has some sitting on the shelf.

There's a lot of EBC hate out there, but I've had really good luck with their pads. I've got the bluestuff pads on the rear and the RSX on the front. The RSX comes with a "track use only" warning, but they work fine on the street. Might be a different story in the winter though. All three of those pads have been pretty rotor friendly though. They're about all I've ever run on the car, and I'm only on my second set of rear rotors and third set of fronts and I've got 100k on the car.

I ran Hawks on previous cars and the pads worked great, but I was swapping rotors fairly regularly.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion

After loving them for years I also finally reached the end point of DS2500's after going to stickier tires and continuing to push later and later braking at every event. I had to come in a few laps early on many sessions due to fade creeping in.

I DD about 15k miles per year and do about 10-12 track days. I recently switched to Ferodo DS3.12 ( P/N FCP4425G for R brakes front) and DS1.11 (FCP4697W) rears. I absolutely love them. Very slight squeal in certain daily braking conditions, but I can certainly live with it. For some reason, very loud squeal when baking out of my parking space in the morning, but that's about the only time. Cold temps have been zero issue on the street.

Did personal bests at Lime Rock while sharing the car with my daughter. Over 120 laps that day with zero fade. Great modulation, exact same pedal lap 2 as lap 100. Terrific wear so far. Then followed with PB at Summit Point. Had 8 laps that beat my prior best. I've had a ton of laps on both those tracks, and I credit most of my time improvement to the pads. I use stock rotors.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Here’s my track video: Canaan

Mods:
EBC Yellowstuff
OEM Brake Fluid
Zimmerman Drilled Rotors
H&R 25 RSB
Re71r tires 245/45/17

Apr Stage 1 (Low Torque)