GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Q : Lower Control Arms in Aluminum... ?

2stroke

🤔 Anyone here know anything or having experiences about using the VW Passat B6/B7 Lower Control Arm in Aluminum on VW Golf-5/6 ? 🤔

( Ignore the talk about the bushings, my question only concerns the Lower Control Arm itself in Aluminum )

Quote:

If your Golf-5/6 is experiencing clunking noises, shaking steering wheel, wandering front suspension or just general poor road feel it may be time to replace your front control arm bushings.
A common item to wear out on all VW's, the factory rubber bushings degrade over time, especially when faced with rough road conditions, age or mileage and lowered suspensions,
the front control arm bushings play a critical road in proper road feel and handling of your vehicle.

If it's time for a replacement, don't settle for stock:
Introducing this Upgraded, Lightweight Aluminum Lower Control Arm Kit with pre-installed ECS Polyurethane bushings, for a very simple install!
These control arms upgrade your stock stamped steel or cast steel arms to the lightweight aluminum control arms from the VW Passat's B6/B7 front suspension.
They are an OE-style plus upgrade but offer the following benefits:

• Lightweight Aluminum Control Arms:
    • Corrosion resistant aluminum.
    • 4,1 Kg. combined weight savings over cast steel arms for faster, more responsive suspension operation.
    • Enhanced structural rigidity: less deflection over stamped steel arms.
  • Polyurethane Bushings:
    • Higher load bearing capacity.
    • Less deflection for more stable suspension geometry.
    • Greater tear strength.
    • Greater resistance to environmental wear like water, salt and sand.

A comprehensive upgrade kit made for you, tested and proven in real world conditions.

This kit includes the following:

• Lightweight Aluminum Control Arms.
  • Pre-Installed ECS Polyurethane Control Arm Bushings.
  • VW Golf-5/6 Aluminum Control Arm Bushing Housings with Pre-Installed ECS Polyurethane Arm Bushings.

// ECS

Attachments

• Buss 1.jpg
    Buss 1.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 244
  • Buss 2.jpg
    Buss 2.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 263
  • Buss 3.jpg
    Buss 3.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 162
  • Buss 4.jpg
    Buss 4.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 224
  • Buss 5.jpg
    Buss 5.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 165
  • Buss 6.jpg
    Buss 6.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 185
  • Buss 7.jpg
    Buss 7.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 162
  • Buss 8.jpg
    Buss 8.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 172
  • Buss 9.jpg
    Buss 9.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
Lots of us run B6 Passat aluminum LCAs.

Pro-tip, don't overpay at ECS and just find a B6 Passat at a junkyard and pull the arms off it. I got mine at a yard for around $40 for the pair. Then buy your replacement bushings à la carte. I pressed OEM TT-RS bushings into the rear-position brackets and used SuperPro poly bushings for the front position.

ECS wants almost $450 for their setup. My arms were $40 for the pair, the TT-RS bushings were $55 for the pair, and the SuperPro bushings were $55 for the pair. $150 total. Granted, you'd need a bench press to put the TT-RS bushings into the stock brackets, so that's not exactly plug & play. There are other companies that sell control arm bracket upgrades, though.

2stroke

Lots of us run B6 Passat aluminum LCAs.

Pro-tip, Just find a B6 Passat LCA at a junkyard and pull the arms off it.
I got mine at a yard for around $40 for the pair.
Then buy your replacement bushings à la carte.
I pressed OEM TT-RS bushings into the rear-position brackets and used SuperPro poly bushings for the front position.
My arms were $40 for the pair, the TT-RS bushings were $55 for the pair, and the SuperPro bushings were $55 for the pair. $150 total.
Granted, you'd need a bench press to put the TT-RS bushings into the stock brackets, so that's not exactly plug & play.
There are other companies that sell control arm bracket upgrades, though.
I will definitely not buy the ECS kit.

I have a bench press, so that's not a problem for me.
Have you noticed any difference in the car's behavior with the Aluminium LCA ?
Part # on the TT-RS OEM rubber bushings ?

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
The TT-RS bushings are made by Febi. There isn't an OEM P/N because VW/Audi wants to sell you the entire bracket. The Febi P/N is 33973.

I wouldn't say I noticed a big difference with just the aluminum LCAs. But less unsprung mass in general is better for handling purposes, so it all adds up coupled with other mods. The stiffer bushings are what's going to make the most observable difference -- less wheel hop and firmer steering feel.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
Agree with Torga. There are lots of places to get used OEM aluminum LCAs and even spindles that reduce unsprung weight. I ran across this gem of an article a few months back. 🍺

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I didn’t notice anything really but for the price Of used aluminum LCA’s plus the ease of instal (since you will have the LCA with bushings pressed in and ready to go) it’s worth it IMO.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
The TT-RS bushings are made by Febi. There isn't an OEM P/N because VW/Audi wants to sell you the entire bracket. The Febi P/N is 33973.

I wouldn't say I noticed a big difference with just the aluminum LCAs. But less unsprung mass in general is better for handling purposes, so it all adds up coupled with other mods. The stiffer bushings are what's going to make the most observable difference -- less wheel hop and firmer steering feel.

You can get the solid Febi bushing in a bracket. I just got Febi 33972 + 33971 off ebay. It says they are S3 but as far as I can tell its the same completely solid bushing as the ttrs one.

Attachments

• dd.jpg
    dd.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 247

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
You can get the solid Febi bushing in a bracket. I just got Febi 33972 + 33971 off ebay. It says they are S3 but as far as I can tell its the same completely solid bushing as the ttrs one.

Good to know. I personally went with the Super Pro ones that add positive caster. Putting these on at the same time as a rear sway bar made a huge improvement in handling, especially with turn in. Soooo crisp. 💋

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Yeah I added some caster too and it was a nice improvement with turn in, super sharp at higher speeds.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Good to know. I personally went with the Super Pro ones that add positive caster. Putting these on at the same time as a rear sway bar made a huge improvement in handling, especially with turn in. Soooo crisp. 💋
Hell yeah. The RSB makes a massive difference on these cars. One of the best bang for your buck upgrades imo

torga

Autocross Champion

Nice! If I had known that, I wouldn't have gone through the trouble of pressing the old ones out.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Nice! If I had known that, I wouldn't have gone through the trouble of pressing the old ones out.

After looking around some more it looks like they be only available in Europe? I think I got lucky with a guy in the US selling a set he didn't need.

Phur

Autocross Champion

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Do you have wheels yet? If not you should start there if you're trying to decrease weight. Forget the control arms.