jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Update: PDR is just magic.
PXL_20220524_183511165.jpg

JettiGLI

Go Kart Newbie
It is like the car gets into a vortex of being hit, the only time I parked "normal" was for an emergency in the hospital and guess what, got a ding on the front fender like the OP.
Seems average people think it is normal to hit cars when they open their doors.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
$250 (plus a tip because he killed it). For Boston labor rates that's a steal.

I asked the guy who repaired my dent how much, he said $150. I didn't tip, should I have?

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I don’t. You set your price, i pay that. If you want more money, ask for more.

That was my thinking. He quoted me over the phone after I txt him pics that it would be around 100-150. Of course when he was done and I ask how much, he went with the latter. Considering there was no fixed amount prices from the get go and more of a ball park estimate situation, I couldn't imagine tipping him on top of that. In my eyes, maybe it was worth $100 at that point and I gave him $50 as the tip :D

Eitherway not a bad gig for him to make an easy $150 for a 40 minute job.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
That was my thinking. He quoted me over the phone after I txt him pics that it would be around 100-150. Of course when he was done and I ask how much, he went with the latter. Considering there was no fixed amount prices from the get go and more of a ball park estimate situation, I couldn't imagine tipping him on top of that. In my eyes, maybe it was worth $100 at that point and I gave him $50 as the tip :D

Eitherway not a bad gig for him to make an easy $150 for a 40 minute job.
To me, it would be different if they did more than you asked for. I just had my hood and fenders done he quoted me $275 at the site and then charged me $250. While appreciated the gesture, I wasn’t going to tip as well.

Razgriz337

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7R
I asked the guy who repaired my dent how much, he said $150. I didn't tip, should I have?

Not required at all. But if I have a number I'm expecting, you come in under that and do a quality job I'll gladly tip. Other way around, not so much.

Then again, I tend to treat most service based interactions this way. Also helps going forward IMO if they're known to stay busy.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Not required at all. But if I have a number I'm expecting, you come in under that and do a quality job I'll gladly tip. Other way around, not so much.

Then again, I tend to treat most service based interactions this way. Also helps going forward IMO if they're known to stay busy.
I also expect I'll need to head back to this guy at some point. Same reason I usually bring donuts or pizza to the shop if I'm having a fair bit of work done. If the folks doing the work like you, you're more likely they're going to care just a wee bit more.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I also expect I'll need to head back to this guy at some point. Same reason I usually bring donuts or pizza to the shop if I'm having a fair bit of work done. If the folks doing the work like you, you're more likely they're going to care just a wee bit more.
Food goes miles further than money. Go figure.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Food goes miles further than money. Go figure.

I guess because at a shop, they don't see that money you pay go directly into their pockets but the food sure does go down on the spot, lol.

It's the little things and depending who does that matters. At one of my old jobs, the owner liked to throw pizza parties, ice cream parties, etc. rather than give us pay increases. A lot of us were like, "f" the pizza, give us more money!

On the other hand, if a customer came in and gave us a pie or ice cream, we'd gladly accept it, lol.